Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
"MMC may set up entrenched in suitable terrain"

I want the entrenchments, but I do not want the MMC in the entrenchments at the start of play. Can I place an entrenchment counter in the hex with the MMC, but have the MMC not in the entrenchment?

My thinking is "no", but I hope someone can find a legal way to say "yes".

TIA

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Set up entrenched seems pretty self explanatory.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
They gotta be IN it if you ask me. Otherwise, they aren't entrenched, aren't they?

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a loose loop hole in B27.1 where it states in the last sentence: "The player is free to use as many foxhole 1S, 2S, or 3S counters in his initial setup as he wishes, provided the total squad capacity of those foxholes does not exceed the OB limit." however, I would still agree that at least some of your OB must set up "IN" the Foxholes in the first place to be eligible to place a Foxhole at all, though you may set up a single HS in a 3S Foxhole with additional Squads/HS set up outside the Foxhole Location.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There is a loose loop hole in B27.1 where it states in the last sentence: "The player is free to use as many foxhole 1S, 2S, or 3S counters in his initial setup as he wishes, provided the total squad capacity of those foxholes does not exceed the OB limit." however, I would still agree that at least some of your OB must set up "IN" the Foxholes in the first place to be eligible to place a Foxhole at all, though you may set up a single HS in a 3S Foxhole with additional Squads/HS set up outside the Foxhole Location.
I think the general opinion is that when an SSR allows units to set up entrenched that the intention of such a SSR/setup instruction is to use foxholes and only to use the minimum-size foxhole that could accommodate the unit. You may play it differently, but I would suggest talking it over with your opponent before you do, lest there be an unpleasant disagreement. I would expect that would be the ruling should you ask for a Q&A on a particular scenario.

JR

buser333

Reaction score
Never a bad idea, but I think the wording of B27.1 would make it tough to argue against Tom's point. The rules use the term "OB limit" in a couple different places.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Michael,
My opinion is you only get the minimum foxholes for units actually starting in them. A half squad gets a 1S, even a leader gets his own 1S, but that's as far as I'd take it. No 2S for one squad, even if plus a few leaders.
Paul

buser333

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to change my opinion here. I'm sure the term "OB limit" refers to the scenario-given foxhole counters. I was reading it as squad OB limit.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would certainly agree with jrv here as it would be best to clarify that with your opponent beforehand, but it does seem to intimate that the entire OB limit may be utilized, though it is certainly up for discussion.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Michael,
My opinion is you only get the minimum foxholes for units actually starting in them. A half squad gets a 1S, even a leader gets his own 1S, but that's as far as I'd take it. No 2S for one squad, even if plus a few leaders.
I thought there was actually a Q&A to this effect, but alas, I can't find it at the moment.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If an SSR tells me that my units may set up entrenched, for me that means a number of things:

- The unit that wants to take advantage of this MUST set up IN the Foxhole.
- Such a Foxhole must be the miminum-size to accomodate the given units.

If an OoB grants me Foxhole counters, then:

- I can set these up empty or occupied or partly occupied.
- Or in any size with in the limits of the number granted.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that we are... slitting hairs.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
given "may set up entrenched" is an SSR, I don't think the rules themselves will cover this position.
I *think* that it should be read plainly as it is stated. If you wish to set up in a foxhole you can but you do not get a foxhole unless you set up in it.