Q About ETA on Patch and Database Mod

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPT. PROCTOR, do you have a release date for the patch and Database Mod? Not a rush on the Database Mod, I still need some time to learn ATF.

On another front, I would like to commend you on your decision to include a printed detailed manual.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Deltapooh, did you already receive your copy? I received a notice that mine is in the mail.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Good! Do you have any first impressions compared to the demo? Any juicy scenarios of particular note?

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are fourteen scenarios in three campaigns and one mini-campaign.

Death Valley Mini-Campaign

Task Force Attack

Task Force Defense

Fulda Gap Campaign

I know alot of people wanted this in BCT, so CPT PROCTOR answered many prayers by including these maps and scenarios in ATF. Battles are set in November 1989.

Rasdorf Cav Screen

Guard Action at Hunfeld

Battle for Ruckers Bridge

Soviet Invasion

NTC Campaign

Bulldog Escarpment

Hidden Valley Attack

Crash Hill Defense

Colorado Wadi Attack

Second Gulf War Campaign

CPT Proctor begins the scenario notes on this campaign with a disclaimer. He was concerned some would conclude he was disclosing information about ongoing plans for an invasion of Iraq.

Basrah Attack

Defense of Afak

Contact at Salman Pak

Baghdad Assault

The user manual is much improved over BCT Commander. Charts allow for rapid reference. It's very indepth. This should go along in not discouraging new users. Also, the printed manual is a blessing for people like me who hate having to close/open windows to read instructions for doing one thing or the other. I can study the manual before going to bed and while during pauses in the game. The printed manual revealed alot of things I missed or failed to take interest in, because I didn't feel like searching the in-game help file. (Yeah, I can be lazy)

This is one reason why DA is so difficult. CPT PROCTOR spent alot of time addressing novelist who bought the game, and might feel in over their heads. The result is a consumer who uninstalls the game, curse the developers, wish they hadn't wasted their money, and loose interest in realistic wargames. People can print out manuals if they want, but who wants to spend more money on something most other games come with. So the well, thoughtout manual will likely promote the game. It's friendly approach should also encourage players who find the game hard to continue trying. A more nerdy approach makes one feel they are out of their league.

I don't have anything dynamic to say about gameplay so far; at least anything you might not already know. I need to play some more missions while experimenting.

However, I'm so interested in ATF, I've decided not to download Rainbow Six: Raven Shield's Multiplayer Demo so I can devote more time to play ATF. THAT SAYS ALOT ABOUT HOW HAPPY I AM TO HAVE ARMORED TASK FORCE.

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
From what I have seen of ATF so far (and I did not play the BCT series), it's one of the most revolutionary wargames I have seen in quite some time. Warfare HQ will post an in-depath and inpartial review of the simulation once we've had a fair opportunity to evaluate it. I've already spent a good deal of time on the demo, but there are no doubt a lot more things to see in the full version.

In my opinion (and I have not played the full version yet) this system is not getting the attention it richly deserves. It can be a bit intimidating to take in at first and I believe you're correct Delatapooh, this may frighten off some people. We have run a lot of polls here at Warfare HQ in the past and there are a lot of diehard wargamers who are interested in scenarios set from WWII through the Cold War, but the interest tapers off for true modern day scenarios. I believe there are a couple of reasons for that.

First, WWII was a huge conflict and there is just an unending supply of interesting situations to recreate as scenarios. Another advantage of WWII is that it can be wargamed at any scale. There were so many battles we couldn't make all of them into scenarios even if we wanted to. There is also a good deal of interest in Cold War material and hypothetical Fulda Gap battles. I'm not sure how many people are aware that ATF can do more than just scenarios set in 2002 (like the Fulda battle on the CD set in 1989).

I think we need to get the word out about what ATF is capable of and then demonstrate that the system is accessable to most wargamers with a little patience. This system shouldnt be one of those nich wargames that only has ten people playing it. There is potentially a very large fanbase for this game and I'm doing my best to get folks interested in our ATF (i.e. "Military Simulations") section. There hasn't been an overwhelming response so far, but that might change eventually. I believe that one part of the equation that is an absolute must is to get some activity going on the ladder and start producing some AARs, articles an third party scenarios. Some potential recruits that wonder into the section may be turned off by the relatively low level of apparent activity. They may conclude that no one is playing the game and therefore it isn't any good. That's what I'm trying to change.

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm no real big fan of WWII and pre-WWII games. Sure I admit the battles were important, but my interest in the military began during Desert Storm. I can play these kinds of scenarios. However, my love is modern-based, company to brigade level tactical sims. BCT and ATF fit the bill nicely.

I think it would be possible to accurately simulate WWII battles in ATF. I actually thought about building a WWII weapons and vehicle database for BCT Commander, but thought it was too difficult a chore. Cpt. Proctor indictated the Database Mod will be alot more powerful than in BCT. So building weapon and vehicle databases should be something to consider.

ATF will require more maps than what shipped. I personally would like to see a map of JRTC. The more maps that are produced the better.

The gaming community would have to be blind not to recognize the revolutionary ATF. Task once considered cumbersome in BCT, have been automated, without handicapping players, to accelerate the planning process. SBF/Defense, for example is an option that allows players to drag and drop forces over a specific area, and they will automatically assume the best defensive locations and fill holes. All you have to do is double check the positions and make adjustments where needed. The optional automative design of ATF allows players to fight the battle as simple, or complicated as desired, with the ability to make changes as needed. You can micro-manage forces you believe require it and allow others to automatically carry out their mission with little interference.

Armored Task Force should be promoted as widely as possible. I'm not showing favoritism, or being melowdramtic by saying on November 13, 2002, tactical wargames achieved a new milestone with the release of ATF. It would be a tragedy if this is forgotten.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I agree on the map issue completely. A handful of maps, no matter how high their quality, is not going to cut it in the long term. That will stifle custom scenario design quicker than a Big Mac in Baghdad. And custom scenario design is the very lifeblood of wargames. Without it, the system will wither.

I know CPT proctor has mentioned that the map creation process is quite buggy and requires a lot of programming skill. He also mentioned they were exploring a possible alternatives that individual users might be able to use to generate reasonably accurate maps. The nature of ATF/BCT maps makes them necessarily more difficult to produce than what a traditional hex-based editor would allow, but it's just something the designers are going to have to keep hammering away at.

I'm note sure how much interest there would be in a WWII database for ATF. Maybe a lot, maybe none. I think other systems are better suited to that time period and ATF is best left to more modern material. Having said that, I don't see why it couldn't be used for some of the Arab-Israeli wars or even Vietnam. Certainly it can do anything from the Cold War on. The more diverse the choices of scenarios, terrain, and time periods are, the more potential users will flock to ATF. If people think the system is geared toward only one type of scenario that will scare some people away.

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm really humbled by the praise. I'm just glad you feel we've raised the bar. That is always our goal in any release.

This is the planned release schedule for Armored Task Force Scenario Builder tools. Please understand that these tasks are being delayed by my relocation the National Training Center at Ft. Irwin. It is just impossible to work on these tools and do them justice until this move is complete.

• (Around May 03)Scenario Builder tutorial. We really provided no help to budding scenario developers with the initial release. We will correct this problem with an online web tutorial which walks you through all of the steps for creating a scenario with the release version of the game.
  • (Around July 03)Map package. We will be adding an additional suite of free, downloadable maps to the game system.
  • (About September 03)Scenario Builder Power Toolkit. This is our title for the additional tools we will be providing for this game system. We are definitely going to be including a database editor which allows you to modify or create entirely new vehicles and weapons. Get your image editing software now! Mod developers will be able to directly manipulate every aspect of the graphics in Armored Task Force, including adding vehicle and NATO icons and flags.
What isn't mentioned in the list is a map editor. Right now, as time permits, I am looking at the feasibility of re-prioritizing our design of a map editor. I do take to heart your impression that this will be a significant damper on scenario making. One our design goals for this release is that it have a thriving scenario building and MOD community.

Oh yeah, and Air Assault Task Force will fall in that list someplace as well:)

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm worst casing the release dates. These improvements may happen well before those dates.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I also was a bit surprised by the release dates, but hopefully they will be a bit shorter than that. Thanks for the information anyway. If you need help getting beta testers, scenario designers or any of that type of thing let us know. Warfare HQ stands ready to assist where we can.

On a related note, I just picked up my full version of ATF about ten minutes ago. As soon as I finish my ongoing battle with the demo I'll install it later tonight. :joy: