Q&A File Correction?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Listening to the Two Half Squad podcast today they were discussing rules, specifically an AFV crew pinning and cited this entry in the Q&A file found on this website (note the highlighted last sentence):

A7.305 & A7.8
Does the “vehicles are not subject to pinning” phrase in A7.8 preclude vehicular crews from pinning when passing a MC by the
highest possible roll? I.e. vehicular crews only pin when failing PTCs per A7.305? If not, what is the purpose of indicating
“vehicles are not subject to pinning” in A7.8?
A. Technically, the vehicle and its Inherent crew are never Pinned, but they suffer a number of negative effects due to having
suffered a “Pin result”. And this “Pin result” can of course come from either failing a PTC or from passing an MC with the highest
DR possible. If the vehicle/its crew had been Pinned, A7.8 would prevent it from moving etc.

Any guess at what this means as I would think pinning would never prevent an AFV from moving and how could it actually happen as a phasing player would not have his AFV crew pinned unless defensive fire on a start point caused a pin on an exposed crew.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Listening to the Two Half Squad podcast today they were discussing rules, specifically an AFV crew pinning and cited this entry in the Q&A file found on this website (note the highlighted last sentence):
A7.305 & A7.8​
Does the “vehicles are not subject to pinning” phrase in A7.8 preclude vehicular crews from pinning when passing a MC by the​
highest possible roll? I.e. vehicular crews only pin when failing PTCs per A7.305? If not, what is the purpose of indicating​
“vehicles are not subject to pinning” in A7.8?​
A. Technically, the vehicle and its Inherent crew are never Pinned, but they suffer a number of negative effects due to having​
suffered a “Pin result”. And this “Pin result” can of course come from either failing a PTC or from passing an MC with the highest​
DR possible. If the vehicle/its crew had been Pinned, A7.8 would prevent it from moving etc.
Any guess at what this means as I would think pinning would never prevent an AFV from moving and how could it actually happen as a phasing player would not have his AFV crew pinned unless defensive fire on a start point caused a pin on an exposed crew.
I think this Q&A is saying the opposite of how you (and perhaps the two half squad guys) are reading it. The Q&A is trying to say that vehicles do not pin: never ever. If they did pin then they couldn't move, it says, and the Q&A is trying to suggest that that would be absurd. If a vehicle gets something that would be a pin result on infantry, vehicles do suffer ill results. But vehicles never pin.

This is a bit confuddled as OT & soft AFVs will tote around a pin counter, which indicates that they are *not* pinned but rather suffering the ill effects of having suffered a pin result against a vehicle. But they are definitely not pinned. Despite the counter. See?

JR

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, the answer in this Q&A is pretty bad. Keep it simple, "yes" and "no" work well. True, I read it wrong so in the future, commentary like this need not be added.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like a good opportunity for a new counter: Vehicle Crew Pin.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Sounds like a good opportunity for a new counter: Vehicle Crew Pin.
Vehicle-crew-not-Pinned-but-affected-by-ill-effects-due-to-having-suffered-a-pin-result. Looks like we're going to need a 15⁄16" counter.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Vehicle-crew-not-Pinned-but-affected-by-ill-effects-due-to-having-suffered-a-pin-result. Looks like we're going to need a 15⁄16" counter.

JR
You could attempt to counter that counter by a looking glass in combination with a microscopic font size.

von Marwitz