PzKpfw IV F1 Canister?

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I was looking at the original Squad Leader Scenario 12 The Road to Wiltz and noticed that the MkIVF1 is given canister ("C7"). In ASL there is no canister for the PzKpfw IV (any variant, not just the F1). Was canister historically ever used by this AFV? Just curious.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
SL was quite approximative when it came to historical data.
Your PzIV didn't even have a turrtet, after the base, pre CoI, rules: tanks had to pivot their VCA to bring targets within the TCA.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Evidently there was a cannister round for the 7.5 cm Stu K L/24, at least as far as the StuG III B supply chain was concerned. But just because you could ask for it doesn't you could have it (because somebody else might need it).

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Normally I would not respond as I have not decided how to proceed as we develop.

The 75 L24 gun (type on the Stug75* and PzIV75) did have a Canister round that contained 960 small steel balls. Appears the 75 on the PzIIIN which was slightly different did not have a Canister round. Note that the 75Ls for example would not be able to fire a Canister round due to having a muzzle brake.
What I have not found (at least yet) is anything that confirms a basic load of Canister for these vehicles.

Conversely, have found that many Russian tanks/guns had a basic load of Canister rounds, thus the C#s on various vehicles from BFP.

Generally everyone used Shrapnel/Canister rounds in WW1, but most abandoned them during WW2, or at least after the early war years as these were comparatively expensive to produce. The US and USSR are the exceptions.

Last edited:

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tried to edit to make 75* for clarity but wont save for some reason.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was the crew survival number in SL.

I was looking at the original Squad Leader Scenario 12 The Road to Wiltz and noticed that the MkIVF1 is given canister ("C7"). In ASL there is no canister for the PzKpfw IV (any variant, not just the F1). Was canister historically ever used by this AFV? Just curious.