Pz IVD

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's pictures of my Tamiya PZ IVD that was 34 years in the making:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2149053247257.2106256.1274120258&type=1&l=a02437dd5f

This is the old Tamiya kit that I started way back when it first came out. I found it in a box with the hull started so I decided to go ahead and finish it. It is pretty much out of the box. All I did was drill out the head lights and put in MV lenses. Everything else it from the kit. Although nowadays it is called in accurate and there are better and more detailed kits of the early PZ IVs on the market, it can still build up nicely.

Last edited:

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's very cool. I'm wondering if they really put the antenna so the gun could hit it when the turret spun around?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's very cool. I'm wondering if they really put the antenna so the gun could hit it when the turret spun around?
Yep..that's very common. The antenna (as are most hull mounted antennas) has a spring at the mount to let it be pushed down when the gun traverses then spring back. Very similar to this antenna.

View attachment 34591

samtyson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Better than the early Russians, just leaving the antenna off completely... along with the radio.

samtyson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Better than the early Russians, just leaving the antenna off completely... along with the radio.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Very cool. An area of weakness in my modeling is making them look good, you beat me into a box there

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I find this level of modelling amazing.
I could never do it...my airfix models ended up covered in a coating of glue and my mum wondering if I was a closet gluesniffer.
Great stuff this...

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yes they did. Look closely at the barrel an you see a curved bar welded under it. It will pushe the antenna down if the gun is going to turn into it and then after the gun passes a spring pops the antenna back up.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes they did. Look closely at the barrel an you see a curved bar welded under it. It will pushe the antenna down if the gun is going to turn into it and then after the gun passes a spring pops the antenna back up.
I've got a 1/72nd scale Pz IV F1, which has the same item under the gun barrel. I always wondered what that was for...

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I envy people who can model. I never had the patience myself. Nor the dexterity.

On balance it was good for me that I was steered down the path of board gaming and not miniatures. I can barely take the corners off a counter without taking off one of my ten thumbs.

Excellent looking model.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, the metal bar under the main gun was to be sure the coaxial machine gun didn't shoot the antenna in half. It deflected it only on the right side where the coaxial was located.

Nice work on the model. I always tell my wife after I complete a model that I should have pursued my modeling career. She rolls her eyes. Can't figure out why... :laugh:

Last edited:

The Cisco Kid

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
Hmmmmm, All I see is a picture that says "England Retain the Ashes"......:blab:

Here's my Mobelwagen...needs better weathering.

[/IMG]

Didn't mean to highjack your thread, I just saw a common interest,

Regards, Paul

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Hmmmmm, All I see is a picture that says "England Retain the Ashes"......:blab:

Here's my Mobelwagen...needs better weathering.

[/IMG]

Didn't mean to highjack your thread, I just saw a common interest,

Regards, Paul
My comment was on the original posting....my link is just a sig line.....
lol