Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
National Geographic: Python Swallows Woman Whole—What Experts Say About the Rare Attack

In my opinion, it was criminal negligence that these things were ever allowed as pets in the United States. They are doing untold damage to Florida's ecosystem and have nearly wiped out whole species of animals in some regions.

Unlike South America, in Florida there are no other predators who can help keep them in check, so they're just growing and growing and eating everything in sight. I was reading an Associated Press article a while back, and forest rangers were saying it's now eerie in some parts of the everglades as the snakes have killed off virtually every mammal, so the whole forest is unnaturally quiet.

These things are a menace and it's way past time that the US catch up to other countries and ban keeping animals like this as pets. Remember the fiasco in Ohio from a few years back, where this nut job raised a bunch of lions and other dangerous predators and then loosed them all on the neighboring town before killing himself. All those poor animals had to be killed by authorities. Personally, I think lions and hyenas and other animals like that are fascinating, but it never should have been legal to raise them without some kind of special permit and appropriate regulation.

People who say these snakes are not a big problem and not dangerous are mistaken. They are dangerous, even to adults.

Red2112

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Snakes in Florida have always been a problem, they might be worst now because of the added import of reptiles. I lived in FL for many years in the 80´s, and you always had to keep an eye out for them even in the big cities, along with aligators, sharks and barracudas. You kind of got used to it, don´t swim to deep, don´t wonder in the woods etc. Hell we even had black bears in FL. I remember as a boyscout having to keep watch over night for bears! I remember going to a park in Miami that had a small lake with a sign in the middle that said, "don´t feed the aligator". This was a public park next to a beach! Wildlife has always been "wild" in FL.

Don´t know how it is now in FL but I hear most of the sea life has been wiped out (even sharks), the Keys arnt what they used to be either with regards to sea life. But yes I do hear they have a big problem with snakes and aligators in the Everglades, I hear they have teams and even volunteers to control these species for over population, and that just might have gotten out of hand! Add the reptile import to the scence and there you have it...

Heck, the "Silver Springs" park had monkeys left over from when they filmed some Tarzan movies back then!

All these "pets" out of there ecosystem is NOT a good Idea, but some just think of money! I would have all these in jail or throw them in a coral snake pit!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
From what I have read it's far beyond redemption, even a massive hunting drive would not make a dent. The closest Irish equivalents would be rabbits and mink. Rabbits were introduced by the Normans and the only thing that had much effect was Myxomatosis. Mink, escaped from mink farms, have become the dominant riverine predator. The only limitation is they need a large range to survive.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
National Geographic: Python Swallows Woman Whole—What Experts Say About the Rare Attack

In my opinion, it was criminal negligence that these things were ever allowed as pets in the United States. They are doing untold damage to Florida's ecosystem and have nearly wiped out whole species of animals in some regions.

Unlike South America, in Florida there are no other predators who can help keep them in check, so they're just growing and growing and eating everything in sight. I was reading an Associated Press article a while back, and forest rangers were saying it's now eerie in some parts of the everglades as the snakes have killed off virtually every mammal, so the whole forest is unnaturally quiet.

These things are a menace and it's way past time that the US catch up to other countries and ban keeping animals like this as pets. Remember the fiasco in Ohio from a few years back, where this nut job raised a bunch of lions and other dangerous predators and then loosed them all on the neighboring town before killing himself. All those poor animals had to be killed by authorities. Personally, I think lions and hyenas and other animals like that are fascinating, but it never should have been legal to raise them without some kind of special permit and appropriate regulation.

People who say these snakes are not a big problem and not dangerous are mistaken. They are dangerous, even to adults.
I am sure you would be relieved if a python were to swallow Gamesquad :D