PUZZLES #2

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This one is a little more involved. I've included a map with no units on it to help view the battlefield. Also, the units on the bottom right are in the building hex noted.

Puzzle #2 SSR:

1. May 1944, EC are moderate with a mild Breeze blowing in the direction of the wind counter.
2. There is a Grey Dispersed Smoke counter in hex X7 also.
3. The tank in W6 has the German tank in Y3 acquired and vice versus.
4. The only staircase is in hex W8.
5. It is the last Player turn (U.S.) of the scenario.

This is another Building Control Puzzle. Once again I believe that having a good handle on situations like these will lead you to more victories and less defeats when Building Control is in the VC.

Puzzle: Explain the American turn which would give them the best chance for control building W8.

Puzzle by Louie Tokarz

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FYI...

this is a GREAT use of the graphic cababilities of a forum. Think the examples and such we could put here to newbies and vets alike.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Slightly off-topic, but could you briefly (if possible) explain how to capture VASL screenshots such as the one in the puzzle? Much thanks....

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anonymous said:
Slightly off-topic, but could you briefly (if possible) explain how to capture VASL screenshots such as the one in the puzzle? Much thanks....
Sure. The easiest way is to use the .gif capture feature in VASL4. Just click and save. If that fails (and it did on the bigger capture, to many colors or something like that) you can just press the 'Printscreen' key on your keyboard, then open MS paint, and click on paste. The last method will save it as a .bmp file, much to big to upload and publish on these or other forums. You'll need a photo editing program to edit the pics and save them as .jpg's.

There are some good free screen capture programs on the net also, like hypersnap.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note, I edited this after my first try. I seem to have forgotten that there are 3 hexes to the building!

RPh Deploy in X5 and X8

PFPh, none

MPh:
Immob tank go ce and attempt to place a sM round in X6. Mobile tank, try to do same, then try to lock up the fire of either the 447 or the PzIV by driving in the hex.

X8 either one HS or one squad move to W8 (place encircled counter on X7(L1) and X8(L2)), then to W8(L1). Follow this up with another HS if you deployed

X8 everything else move to W8, W8(L1), W8(L2), one unit at a time. Place DM counters.

X5, move X6, W7, W8, W8(L1).

DFPh …

AFPh fire what you can, but the smoke might prevent any fire depending on what happened

RtPh, German squad/HS surrender to unit in W8(L2). Deploy the squad there to take the prisoners.

APh—some of this depends on whether you successfully deployed and that you did not lose anything in all that movement and your AFPh was ineffectual. In the best of all possible worlds you will advance so that:
W8 you have a 346+prisoners in Level 2
X8 you have 346+9-1 in CC with g8-0 at L(2)
X7 you have 666+2*346+8-1 in CC with 447.

Probably you will have a 4:1 -1 against the 8-0 and a 3:1 -1 against the 447, although you might ambush (or, less likely get ambushed--9%)

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have a couple of thinks to add to Brian's response:

Don't forget about vehicular smoke grenades as an option if the SM doesn't work.

If the mobile tank drives into the 447's hex, he has to become CE to impose target selection limits.

Also consider throwing a WP grenade into the 447's location. The X8 squad and leader have enough MP to do this. If successful the 447 (which has a morale of 6 due to upper level encirclement) will take a NMC with a -3 DRM. A DR of 9 will pin him and 10 or higher break him. Thats a reasonable chance. A 6 on the smoke dr will stop the squad in the hex. A WP crit hit is also possible which would mean a 3MC vrs 6 morale unit.

The 447's defensive fire is VERY likely to have no effect versus W8. His DRMs are +1 for encircled, +3 for dispersed smoke in own location, +3 tem (vrs staircase hex) and -1 FFNAM. An 8+6 attack can't actually have an effect given that snakes cowers to 6FP. (Actually it might be a PTC ... I don't have an IFT handy. Pins would be bad). Also no residual can be left due to the smoke. However vrs W7 he would have an 8+3. The guys from X5 have to go via W7 so this is a problem

Note that the German tank is hull down to the Shermans. That means his BMG is not useable vrs ground level targets (I'm not sure vrs level 1).

Check the chapter H notes for these Shermans. If they have smoke then smoking the panzer by the immobile sherman) is the better move in Prep as he would then have a +6 hindrance to all key hexes and thus be out of LOS. However I suspect they don't get smoke until later in 44.

If the SM's don't work the panzer has a chance of killing the mobile tank which will make life more difficult. The panzer will have a -1 acq, -1 size and +1 bu DRMs vrs the start MP so he will hit on an 11! and the TK will be 17 +1 range -11AF=7. The panser also has a slim chance for A4? I think. Even if you get smoke the from the SMs the panzer has a chance to kill the mobile sherman.

If the panzer whacks the mobile sherman and the guys from X5 can't make it one MMC goes to level 2. He will declare no quarter when the broken German surrenders so he won't be encumbered with prisoners.

Anyway lots of what ifs to consider.

Adrian

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AdrianE said:
Don't forget about vehicular smoke grenades as an option if the SM doesn't work
No, you can only try one or the other in a MPh.

AdrianE said:
If the mobile tank drives into the 447's hex, he has to become CE to impose target selection limits
Yes, but the fire is very limited, 8+6.

AdrianE said:
Also consider throwing a WP grenade into the 447's location
Too much risk for too little return. Very unlikely that you will get a result on the 447, yet you give up a 16% chance of having to stop. This will cause you to be CX in CC against the 8-0, which wouldn't be bad for CC DR, but really messes up your ambush dr, giving the germans a 25% chance against a 9% chance otherwise.

AdrianE said:
However vrs W7 he would have an 8+3. The guys from X5 have to go via W7 so this is a problem
Actually, it will be an 8+4 due to the encirclement, if you get no smoke and the tank does not lock fire.edit: oops, I forgot NAM, so +3 is right.

AdrianE said:
Check the chapter H notes for these Shermans.
No smoke for M '44.

AdrianE said:
Even if you get smoke the from the SMs the panzer has a chance to kill the mobile sherman.
yes, but if it is firing at the sherman, it isn't firing at the infantry, and the sherman is not going to win the game for you.

AdrianE said:
He will declare no quarter when the broken German surrenders so he won't be encumbered with prisoners.
I did mess this up. I had some reason in my head that declaring nq was a bad thing, but certainly declaring NQ is what to do in this last game turn.

Good discussion,
Brian

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Louie,
Thank you for the tips regarding map capture to .gif files. One other quick question....when I attempted this with the VASSL map capture button, it saved the "overview" map and not the smaller "VASL map"....is it possible to save the smaller map versus the overview map?

Thanks again....
Randy

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Randy,

Not sure is you can save the smaller map via VASL. You can save that screen like I mentioned and then edit your screen in a photo editiing program.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
AdrianE said:
Also consider throwing a WP grenade into the 447's location
Brian W said:
Too much risk for too little return. Very unlikely that you will get a result on the 447, yet you give up a 16% chance of having to stop. This will cause you to be CX in CC against the 8-0, which wouldn't be bad for CC DR, but really messes up your ambush dr, giving the germans a 25% chance against a 9% chance otherwise.
That depends on how you sequence your moves. If the 9-1 and 666 move early you can compensate if they roll a 6. I see the WP attempt as a free shot so I'm taking it.

Also I'm NRBH but I think the 9-1 can continue his MPh up to level 2 even if the 666 rolls a 6. I could be wrong on this though...

You will not necessarily be CX for the ambush on L2. The other MMC from X8 will get upstairs no problem. He won't be CX.

AdrianE said:
However vrs W7 he would have an 8+3. The guys from X5 have to go via W7 so this is a problem
Brian W said:
Actually, it will be an 8+4 due to the encirclement, if you get no smoke and the tank does not lock fire.edit: oops, I forgot NAM, so +3 is right.
8+3 gives a fair chance for a result. A Pin is as good as a KIA vrs the 8-1 666 from X5 and the squad is a 6ML. If you get WP and don't break the 447 the attack is a 8+4. Again I really like using WP.

AdrianE said:
Even if you get smoke the from the SMs the panzer has a chance to kill the mobile sherman.
Brian W said:
yes, but if it is firing at the sherman, it isn't firing at the infantry, and the sherman is not going to win the game for you.
The Sherman living will make it easier to win though.
The panzer coax MG would have a 4+4 (no cowering) versus moving infantry plus the MA has ROF and/or/IF vrs level 1 staircase. Not great odds. However if the mobile Sherman is whacked (good chance with a turret hit) we can't count on anyone getting through W7 as the 447 will get its 8+3 shot.

If we do end up with CX guys in the building we can still put them to good use without putting then into CC. They can block locations from being eligible ambush withdrawl targets. You can't withdraw into an occupied enemy location! So 2 CX units on a level can force the German to stick around even if he gets ambush.

I think the worst case scenario sees the Sherman whacked, the guys from X5 breaking and failure on the deploying rolls. Therfore we can only count on the guys from X8. In that case one 666 goes to level 2 for the 6:1 versus the leader and the 9-1 and the other 666 take the 3:2 -1 versus the 447. In this case the WP attempt is definately a free shot.

Adrian

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ANSWER

ANSWER

Here is what I posted originally for the the answer to this puzzle.

--------------------------------------------------

Hello and thanks to all of those who answered the this Puzzle. First off there were a couple of great answers from Patrik Manlig and Fred Timm. With some of their ideas and some of my original ideas here is some answers to the 2nd Puzzle.

Rally phase: The German Units will most likely stay broken. (However when this situation came up in a game I was playing the Germans did have one squad rally.) Remember that the Germans are encircled due to having no clear path out of the building.

U.S. Prep Fire phase: Decision time starts immediately for the Americans. Do they fire the mobile tank or try to use it for other purposes? First off the immobilized tank will fire at somebody! The tanks (M4A1s) don't have Smoke or WP at this time because it is May. (Must be in Italy) However they do have SM5. Therefor the immobilized tank might as well fire at the German tank with a 7 to hit (must be a turret hit). The unit in X7 would be very difficult to hit (+6 to hit DRM). If he misses he might as well intensive fire which would be an 8 to hit. That would be all the U.S. would do unless they wanted to fire the other tank at the German tank. I wouldn't do it because this tank can do so much more towards the American goal of controlling building X8.

U.S. Movement phase: Don't move anything until the threat from the German tank is neutralized if it wasn't killed during the PFph. We'll assume it wasn't. The mobile M4A1 is going to want to move into bypass in hex X7 in order to freeze up the 447s fire. In order to do this the M4A1 must be CE, but the threat of being shot at from the 447 isn't that great do to the dispersed Smoke in its hex. At best the 447 would have a 12 +6 shot at the tank crew and a PF shot would be a 5 to hit but this is only if the 447 eats the backblast. If he eats the backblast (not the zine, they are collectors items now!) there is always the chance he would break due to a low colored die roll. This would also prove to be in the best interest of the Americans. The units in X5 will move to W8 1st level, but not until the units in W8 Ground floor assault move one at a time to the 1st level and attempt to throw a WP grenade at the 447 in X7 1st. After reading A24.1 and A24.6 I believe that the wind won't prevent this but it could be open to interpretation.
The Mobile M4A1 is now going to fire off a Smoke Mortar to hex X4. Not the best chance but what the heck. If he survives the shot from the German tank he will move into bypass in X7 going CE. Remember to leave the tank in motion and declare that he is using all his remaining MPs to enter the hex.
After the tank moves or tries to, the Americans will move the units in X5 to the 1st level of W8. They won't try to place smoke to help the tank before they move because they would have to end up CX in W8 1st. I think that not being CX is important and gives the U.S. the extra chance they need to keep from being ambushed and to kill units in CC at the end of the game. The only drawback to this strategy would be the 8 +3 shot the 447 would get off if the tank isn't keeping him tied up. I guess this decision is a matter of personal choice. What is more important to you.

German DFph: The 447 is probably going to fire at the tank CE crew of shoot the units from X5 as they move across the street. The 8-0 in W8 2nd level could try for a PF and shot the stack of 3 U.S. squads. (This is what my opponent did to me and he broke 2 U.S. squads!! However my Afph shot at the 447 a 6 +4 broke the 447!! Go figure.)

Rout Phase: Any broken German troops will surrender due to being encircled. The 8-0 couldn't voluntary break because it would just end up surrendering.

U.S. Advance phase: Depending on what's left (odds are that the 3 U.S. squads will all be there) the U.S. should move into CC with the 447 with two squads and one -1 leader (3:1 -1 odds) while the other squad moves into CC with the other -1 leader against the German leader (7:1 -1 odds).