PUZZLES #1

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought this forum would be a great place to reprint all the WCW Puzzles we did a few years back. I have 16 of them and using the new VASL boards it will be easy to place them here. Maybe if Nat feels like starting 'puzzles/quiz' section, we can all get in the act. I think stuff like this helps us learn.

Most of the situations in these puzzles came from end game experiences I had. We are always confronted with decisions during a game that require our quick action. Those who are better at this decision making will ultimately be more successful then the rest.

Also, when would you guys like me to publish the answer that was published originally? Should I do it right away, or wait a determined amount of time?

So, here it is:

Puzzle #1 SSR:

1. EC are moderate with no wind at start. The stream is shallow. Building X1 is a rowhouse.
2. No Quarter has been invoked by both sides.
3. It is the start of German player turn 6a. The game ends at the end of Russian player turn 6b.
4. There is a breach in the rowhouse wall at ground level.

This puzzle is a rather simple one but I've seen many beginners lose games because they are not well versed on the Building Control rules (A26.12).

Puzzle: What can the German player do to help assure victory by maintaining control of building X1. If X1 falls to the Russians the German player will lose the scenario. Remember that a Rowhouse is considered one building for Building Control purposes. Explain the German turn starting with the Rally Phase.

Bonus: Also Explain what the Russian response should be.

Puzzle by Louie Tokarz

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is an awesome idea! I don't know if it should be in its own forum or if the Rules forums should be expanded to cover puzzles, but I love the puzzle idea.

I'd post the answer maybe a day or two after the puzzle has been posted. It would give people time to look at the puzzle, think about it, look up rules (for Newbs like me), etc.

I'll try to answer this puzzle, once I read the Building Control rules. :)

Nat

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmm, I must be slow (of course it is 7am Sunday morning), but the only thing I can think of is to have the 10-3 skulk behind the building. Assuming the self rally does not work, I don't see how the brokies can effect the battle at all. The can't get into the building, which could keep control of the building by routing up stairs in the 6b RtPh, so they look like sniper bait to me. 10-3 would then advance into one of the building hexes, to self brake if it survies, routing upstairs to retain control.

For the Soviet player, the tank will have to overrun into the building to prevent the 10-3 from self breaking, possibly causing rubble or falling into the celler. And of course, it is possible that the two 447s' AFPh shot could kill the 10-3. However, it would probably come down to a CCPh attack, if the net +2 drm for the soviets does not allow the 10-3 to withdraw for the win.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said:
For the Soviet player, the tank will have to overrun into the building
I was in the shower before I thought, why overrun when you can bypass. Pretty much the same strategy though.

MKeen

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Time to take a shot at this

German
Attempt to selfrally broken (this guy is out of the picture)
No prep
Advance into stream behind building (4mp)
Advance phase advance into ground lvl of X1 going CX in the process(6mp)
Russian
No Rally
Fires tank at 10-3 then intensive fires again.
You have to kill he leader, breaking him will not do as he will rout upstairs.
If you move the tank into bypass or his location. He gets streetfighting and gets the option to withdraw(ie he will go upstairs) during the CC phase. This even occurs if you have russian infantry with the tank.

Basically the russian is hosed.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Louie: I was using netscape as my browser. The HTML you used must be interpreted differently as the text does not look obscured by the picture in Microsoft IE :oops:

By the way - the Russians need to try single man overruns

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Time to take a shot at this

MKeen said:
If you move the tank into bypass or his location. He gets streetfighting and gets the option to withdraw(ie he will go upstairs) during the CC phase. This even occurs if you have russian infantry with the tank.
Streetfighting does not allow you to withdraw; you may only withdraw if you actually ambush the unit. Still likely with the +2 net, or +1 net if the tank goes CE, A11.4.

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, you can no longer withdraw from streetfighting, something 'Mac said' you could do back in the day. I really don't know why MMP changed this, I always thought evened things up a bit, especially since some folks think the Vehicle Bypass Freeze is sleaze (I don't).

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fred Ingram said:
By the way - the Russians need to try single man overruns
Declaring double time to do so, the one squad has a chance to try overrun, if it passes a 3TC! I'm not possitive about the odds, but I think taking a chance on the ambush dr is a bit better than the 16.3% chance of conducting a successful SMC overrun. Of course, it may be worth a try, although if it fails, it gives you another +1 for the ambush dr because you have to be CX to try the SMC OVR.

MKeen

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Learn something everyday

Hmmm, Guess I have played SF wrong. After a reread of the ambush rules, guess Steeetfighting ambush and ambush are two different things. Also noticed however if a AFV advances into your location (ie bypass or something) Ambush is N/A. As ambush can only occur whenever infantry advance into CC. (A11.4). So to ambush a AFV you have to advance into it's location. Like I said I learn something everyday.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We also have not discussed PF; however, since this can't be 1945 (owing to the T-43) the leader has as much chance of pinning himself as in finding a PF if PF are available. Since a pin precludes the use of ambush withdraw, rolling for a PF is probably not a good idea, since hitting the T-43 is at best a 77% chance if you take the backblast.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Someone wrote:

Declaring double time to do so, the one squad has a chance to try overrun, if it passes a 3TC! I'm not possitive about the odds, but I think taking a chance on the ambush dr is a bit better than the 16.3% chance of conducting a successful SMC overrun. Of course, it may be worth a try, although if it fails, it gives you another +1 for the ambush dr because you have to be CX to try the SMC OVR.

There won't be any ambush in the CC phase, the 10-3 will have already voluntarily broke and routed upstairs - sealing the building control win (the whole point about this puzzle)

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Someone wrote:

There won't be any ambush in the CC phase, the 10-3 will have already voluntarily broke and routed upstairs - sealing the building control win (the whole point about this puzzle)

:twisted:

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Someone wrote:

:idea: :idea:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fred Ingram said:
Someone wrote:
You missed the point; if the tank is in bypass, then the german leader cannot rout upstairs.

Brian

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said:
You missed the point; if the tank is in bypass, then the german leader cannot rout upstairs.
Actually, and I am surprised I missed it, there is a much easier way to counter the RtPh upstairs to win == encricling the 10-3 in the AFPh. If it becomes encircled, it cannot break else be forced to surrender. However, this relies upon no quarter not being ineffect nor can the 10-3 be SS.

I blame the cropping out of the hex to the north of the building :)

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the Russian is far from being hosed. It is the German who has to play the odds in order to pull this out. Assume the broken squad does not self-rally – if he does, the German wins.
There are 2 ways for the German to keep his guy alive in the building. One is to be able to rout upstairs, the other is to ambush withdraw from CC.
I believe the rout move is a non-starter. The Russian only needs to place his tank in the ground level location of the 10-3 in order to prevent the rout move. The odds of killing the tank are slim if not impossible – i.e., base CCV is 2, with a possible –1 for street fighting, but a +2 for motion = a +1 DRM making it impossible to kill during CC Reaction fire. If the 10-3 rolls a 1dr for ATMM, he has a shot by making the DRM now a –2 total. In order to do this, he can not be CX. The only way to attempt to get the rout move is to be able to get an ATMM in CC Reaction fire and kill the tank then. The down side is if he pins, he adds the +1 mod to the ensuing CC ambush roll.
The other option is ambush withdrawal from CC. In order to o this, the German must maximize the differences in ambush modifiers. The tank will give the Russians a +2 (or +3 if still BU), but the German will get a +1 if CX. It is better for him to have no CX, and get the +2/3 difference for this roll.
With this said, I believe the best option for the German is to make sure he is not CX during the Russian turn. In order to do this, I believe the best move is to AM into the woods with the broken unit. This will expose him to a 4+1 attack, followed by a 2+1 attack. Something the 10-3 should, but will not necessarily pass. He can then advance back into X2, non-CX.
If he skulks into the Stream, he will be CX when he advances into the building. This will prevent any possible chance to stop the Russian tank with Reaction Fire, forcing him to rely on a successful ambush in CC, with a +1 vs +2/3 modifier. He will not survive any CC if he does not get the ambush.
From the Russian side, assume the 10-3 made it back to X2, non-CX.
The Russian has many choices, none of them real sure.
1 He must place the tank in the location to prevent the rout upstairs move. He can choose to either leave the tank in motion, reducing the odds of a CC Reaction fire/CC attack, or stop it, increasing the odds of his own CC attack if he survives.
2 He must decide if he wants just the tank to kill the German – allowing him to not advance in and guaranteeing a CC with no ambush.
3. In addition, he moves the squads to Y3/Y2, preventing any rout to X1, and forming an 8fp FG during AFPh. I would not try an infantry OVR, as you would need a 2or 3 DR for the NTC, and you would need to go CX, increasing your possible ambush modifiers.
Bottom line – I think the Russian places his tank in the hex, decides if he wants a 7 or 9 CC attack to win, suffering either a no chance (in motion) or a 3 DR in reaction fire and in CC (stopped) prior to getting his shot.
If the German is CX (i.e., takes the skulk move), then the Russian can easily go in stopped, and only sees a 2 DR doing any damage, with a 9 needed by the tank coming back in CC.

MKeen

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only thing I can see wrong is about the ambush. If a AFV enters a location with a enemy unit Ambush is N/A. Unless I am missing something ambush only occurs when "infantry" advance into a location.