Punching out Hollow Legions counters : be aware of paper tear.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
About Hollow Legions: be careful when punching out counters. Paper tears from them and thus can damage them.
I never had that problem with MMP stuff before.
Usually, as counters are attached by their corners, I simply could punch them out without using scissors or a cutter, then clipped them.
With HL, I have to use scissors and even cut out a smallish overlap of the paper on some edges, before I clip them.
This is annoying.

I only damaged the broken side of two 447, so I am just signaling the fact.
This module is otherwise awesome.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I haven't clipped HL3 yet, but I had the same 'paper tear' problem with some of my CdG2 counters; the exact way you have described. Not bad enough to grouse for refund/exchange, but pretty unprecedented for an MMP product.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use a 14" legal pad clipboard to clamp the countersheet down (with old legal pad cardboard underneath the countersheet)
and use a fresh razor in the old box cutter to CAREFULLY cut out the particular set of counters I want out. Calls for a {very}
steady hand in order not to inflict collateral damage to adjacent counters.

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had only one instance of paper tearing while punching out HL3 counters. Fortunately for me, the tearing occurred on the spruce. The counters came out okay.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
About Hollow Legions: be careful when punching out counters. Paper tears from them and thus can damage them.
Usually, as counters are attached by their corners, I simply could punch them out without using scissors or a cutter, then clipped them.
With HL, I have to use scissors and even cut out a smallish overlap of the paper on some edges, before I clip them.
This is annoying.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Usually, I cut the counters before clipping them. Nevertheless good to know that extra caution might be warranted.

von Marwitz

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is annoying.

My HL hasn't arrived yet, however I definitely appreciate the 'heads up'.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
I run a Xacto knife along the lines--never had an issue. I put a 1/4" board underneath, my "portable workbench". Then I can more easily punch out the counters.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I run a Xacto knife along the lines--never had an issue. I put a 1/4" board underneath, my "portable workbench". Then I can more easily punch out the counters.
See my preceding comments.
Just having to punch out the counters and clip the fluff in the corners was a gain of time.
And I prefer good scissors rather over a knife which can quite easily slip and maul the counters - I am clumsy.

haggis

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ha! I will more than likely slice my fingers, my counters are probably pretty safe 🤣