Pull up a chair by the hearth!

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hail & well met!
A hearty welcome to everyone!

There's a storm brewing outside so come on in and ride it out with us!

We've got a good warm glow going in the hearth so pull up a chair. And to entice you to stay the ale, or cider if that's more to your liking is on the house tonight! Stew is cooking in the pot and apple cobbler is baking in the back. So sit right down and join us.

The only cost to you will be sharing a tale or two and lending an ear (if you still have them) to the old warriors and their stories of past glory.

Don't forget to tell the innkeeper your name so he knows who's here tonight.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ahhh, I still remember my very first "adventure & encounter" as a young lad with the supreme creature itself - the Gygax!

As I moved down a dimly lit corridor this "creature" was standing there imposing himself across the passage. It's arms were waving side to side directing everyone into it's lair. My only recourse was to slip into the doorway quickly hoping for the best. I was met by a room filled with other bewildered travelers sweltering in heat emanating from the tiny windows that offered no escape. The air went still as the creature entered behind us closing the door.

A brave soul gave a cry of despair and bolted for the door: what became of him I never found out.

The creature then bellowed and the room went silent. A question was asked, "What! is the name of the game I'm going to talk about?" No one answered except some insane fellow in the back who said, "red, no green!" When the nervous laughter ended the fellow could no longer be found.

A second question followed, "What! am I holding in my hand?" No one answered not even with a "European or African swallow" remark.

A third and final question was soon to be asked of us. The Supreme Creature with a swift motion of his stubby arms took down several bed-sheets that covered an 6' x 8' wall mounted board. Upon it were colored lines and strange marks that could resemble cave passageways, hallways, stairways, pits and doors and more.

The creature turned slowly towards us, fear crept into our hearts as he smiled, he smiled wide and confidently the keeper of things that only he knew. Then came the question, a question that would change our lives forever.

"WHAT! Is this called?" Someone coughed, a child cried out, one man ran for the open doorway, a nervous chatter broke out then... then a lone voice answered him- the holy grail?

YES, YES!!! The creature replied and beamed proudly.

And thus my first adventure was over, I had indeed discovered... D&D.

ps- maybe I should have mentioned that Gary Gygax along with Dave Arneson created D&D...

Last edited: