Pto?

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello,

me again.

What about a Pacific Theatre of Operations scenario.
Are there any available?
haven't done a full search yet but if someone could suggest one, that would be cool.

I think if I change a few aspects of the carrier units through Bio-Ed, a very good scenario may be able to be put together.
Any suggestions?

I'm gonna do either PTO scenario or ATO scenario. Any preferences?

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
hey Chuck,

thx for reply.

I have been working in Bio-Ed for ship constructs and such.

Carrier units would have an increase in defensive strength, as well, 'Hulls' for units could consist of 4-5 pieces of 'equipment' so to allow multiple squadrons of aircraft to be based on the decks.
also, may allow of scout planes or PBYs.
As well, travel distance minimized to allow for good carrier battles and fleet sinkings.
So far, ships have been losing their guns. A hull will be disabled as well which reduces the amount of aircraft able to be on this carrier.

In the easiest terms available to my brain right now...
Each ship of each fleet will be a single unit, consisting of Arms, aircraft, possibly scout planes for cruisers, battleships et al.

When an island is captured, supply ships will be released to keep it in supply (once ship arrives at island, must disband, then a temporary supply unit is placed there or supply point).

This will obviously limit the number of Static supply points, but I have thought it out logically and it seems to be a very viable way of doing supply for islands without having roads all over the place....not that it's a bad thing. It will just force the combatants to position fleets more strategically and defend their supply convoys....since disbanding and destroying are treated differently in event engine..if supply convoy is destroyed, no supply for that island till more is sent out. However, if it does make it to it's location, disband in port...supply point positioned for 4-6 weeks... then is removed.
There will still need to be roads between certain points...mainly in the Marianas.. but I think others can be disposed of.

It's all in my head right now...and I am currently processing it and will start to do soon.
I did a search for Scenarios last night and found yours on the warfareHQ site...still have link to it.

I am planning on doing a 20-25 km/hex scenario.... with Aleutians, West coast of N.America, not represented in scale but available for invasions under certain circumstances...

If I can do a relatively good job with the Carrier units, should be able to do a good scenario.

Hey man, don't mean to intrude on your scenario either....

Geeez, Europe Aflame...ZeroHour....what can A guy do???

I'll think about it for awhile first.

Bdr.

thanks though....... chit!

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Chuck,

I put together a quick example of what it may look like.

I have to add Industry equipment, Oil equipment, Supply equipment and a few others and try to make the PBY's more effective without having to use house rules.

With these small changes, a focus on Fleet battles, ships being able to survive air assaults, supply convoys and supply point manipulation, 25/km hexes, submarine reconnaisance et al..... I would like to make a PTO scenario.

THe small example here cannot totally represent changes in units and experience as time passes, but with game length testing, I think the fleets may survive long enough to reflect carrier and fleet battles that took place.

Also, offer other options.

Bdr.
:smoke:

Damn, tried to attach here but file too large.

added it to the download section.

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6

Last edited:

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bdr.Mallette said:
hey Chuck,

thx for reply.

I have been working in Bio-Ed for ship constructs and such.

Carrier units would have an increase in defensive strength, as well, 'Hulls' for units could consist of 4-5 pieces of 'equipment' so to allow multiple squadrons of aircraft to be based on the decks.
also, may allow of scout planes or PBYs.
As well, travel distance minimized to allow for good carrier battles and fleet sinkings.
So far, ships have been losing their guns. A hull will be disabled as well which reduces the amount of aircraft able to be on this carrier.
Hi - I've started down this road with Zero Hour. Each aircraft carrier is made up of two pieces of aircraft carrier equipment. This allows for each carrier to have both a fighter and bombing unit and gives the carrier units some additional survivability. More "hulls" aren't really needed because the scenario's map is set at 75km/hex.

I do find your solution for decreasing ship movement speeds good. By giving them low supply and readiness, they can only travel so far per turn. If one was to give the ship's formation very low resupply rates, it might be a workable solution. Note however that embarked land units still move at the faster pace. I suppose you could have a house rule that embarked units must move with a combat ship.

Also, what is the idea with the PBYs? They are airmobile units? How do they work? Maybe I could add these too.

In the easiest terms available to my brain right now...
Each ship of each fleet will be a single unit, consisting of Arms, aircraft, possibly scout planes for cruisers, battleships et al.
Note that air recon probably doesn't work.

When an island is captured, supply ships will be released to keep it in supply (once ship arrives at island, must disband, then a temporary supply unit is placed there or supply point).

This will obviously limit the number of Static supply points, but I have thought it out logically and it seems to be a very viable way of doing supply for islands without having roads all over the place....not that it's a bad thing. It will just force the combatants to position fleets more strategically and defend their supply convoys....since disbanding and destroying are treated differently in event engine..if supply convoy is destroyed, no supply for that island till more is sent out. However, if it does make it to it's location, disband in port...supply point positioned for 4-6 weeks... then is removed.
There will still need to be roads between certain points...mainly in the Marianas.. but I think others can be disposed of.
Interesting idea to make TOAW Pacific more realistic but this will be very tough to model over the course of several game years. Note first that supply units don't work unless they are in supply. So you will need supply points for each island. As there are many more islands than supply points available, this will be a problem.

Also, this is going to chew up a lot of events very quickly. You'll need a disband event for each unit. If one is needed every 4-6 weeks for dozens of islands, you are talking about many events right there. Then you'll need all the enabling events and such to add or remove supply points each time.

Finally, if you use the event that adds a supply point where one already exist, then the supply point is removed. This could be a big stumbling block. I suppose more events could be used to monitor this but you'll be running out quickly...

I am planning on doing a 20-25 km/hex scenario.... with Aleutians, West coast of N.America, not represented in scale but available for invasions under certain circumstances...

If I can do a relatively good job with the Carrier units, should be able to do a good scenario.

Hey man, don't mean to intrude on your scenario either....
Your scenario would really be quite different than mine. I'm covering practically half the world at 75km/hex. At 20-25 km/hex you'll have to forgo including Asia at the least. A lot of the focus of Zero Hour is land operations in China, Burma, ect. There is also the chance for Japan to invade India or Australia and the Soviets can get into the action as well. Your scenario would be more a detailed scenario covering naval actions in the Pacific.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
hey,
thx for reply.

I will work it out.
there will definitely be some problems but...

have been working on some ideas.

map will be difficult...as with probs you brought up but.... will work it out...lol.

I'll give 'er a go.

it's fun just to try.

Pby's and scouts will be played with a bit. Having them able to fly over hexes then return to base. they do not always reveal whats below them but i will still try to modify these units.

Bdr.