PTO rookie needs Grabbing Gavutu scenario set up ideas?

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi everyone, after many years of ignoring the PTO I am finally getting around to it. Anyway I am trying out various setups as the Japanese in the scenario Grabbing Gavutu (149 from Rising Sun).

I have read some AARs that show the Japanese INF gun can be very effective against the unarmoured LCV – but I am finding it very difficult to know where to place it. Because of all the US air power I am thinking in a cave or pillbox – however the restricted CA makes its placement a bit hit or miss? I would be very interested if anyone would like to share their Japanese setup to give me some ideas what to try. The lack of cover on the island makes hidden Japanese units surprising the US a less valid tactic.

On a side note, there appears to be a large number of Japanese defenders in this scenario – I know many of them are conscripts but it looks tough on the US if their planes underperform.

Regard David

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A quick additional question - manning the caves and cave complex. Which units would you recommend, I have a lot of conscripts are they the best for cave duty?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't see a really good spot for a cave suitable for placing an INF Gun for use against LC in the water. The two "obvious" spots I see are in a pillbox in P12/2052 and in the building in K21/3159. There are other places that would also be suitable for a pillbox. I leave those to your imagination. If you put the gun in the building have a spare crew nearby because the primary crew may die in a plane attack.

In addition to a small battlefield, most of the Japanese units can't use G.4, meaning that HIP is less useful for most Japanese units because they can't allow enemy units to pass through.

In general planes will under perform your expectations. But that is a tough force of American infantry.

I would probably be tempted to use the Japanese conscripts as forward speed bumps, keeping the Americans busy at the shore and as guards for areas where I don't expect landings but still want to guard in case the marines try to pull a fast one.

edit: a cave in L21/3152 facing W21/4009 might work for the INF gun to shoot at LC. It has the advantage that the Japanese probably want something there anyway for the late-game assault on the hill, and the gun can be moved elsewhere via the cave complex.

JR

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks JR for your considered reply.

I have been practising my landings, and it will be no surprise to anyone who has played me, but I broke my only INF gun on the first shot!
Thanks for the tip on conscripts as speed bumps - I was thinking of keeping them in the caves for easier rallying but I will give your idea a try.

I hadn't really considered being able to move the gun around the cave complex - that is a neat idea.

I had a cave in 3152 with a HMG. Really struggled to decide if 3152 or 4009 would be the best location - the palm trees in 4019 give me food for thought as they can block LOS for the different heights - still undecided between those two locations (I could use both but I need to cover other areas...

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't played gavatu in years, but I can assure you that it's not decided by the landing, work on what to do after the landing.

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks, I suspect the same - the caves and seaborne invasion are new to me so I am trying to get them down so I don't embarrass myself when playing FtF- once I am on the land I will feel more confident...

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well I have run through the landing sequence a couple of times just to get the rules down. I have had two really swingy starts. In the first the little old Japanese INF gun with a ROF of 1 sunk the entire first landing wave of four LCs! On another the FBs rolled extremely well and took out virtually every Japanese unit that raised its head!

Last edited: