PS3 Sells 1 million; Outselling Xbox 360 Launch

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sony today announced that they have sold 1 million Playstation 3s in North America since the launch of the console six weeks ago.

That makes the Playstation 3 the fastest selling home console Sony has ever launched.

Microsoft sold 600,000 of their Xbox 360s from their November launch to the second week in January.
Interesting.

Kotaku

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are around 500-700,000 in Japan as well..so thats puts them up there nicely I suppose.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That many?, thats a better production rate than i would have thought. But then again, i don't know much about production rates :p

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmmm 1 million consoles sold.

So that means Sony lost 200 million to sell them :)

Hey 1 million units moved sounds nice, but until they stop selling them for a loss of 200 bucks each, I think it will be a bit soon to enjoy the champagne :)

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thats not an issue...they will make that up and then some.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thats not an issue...they will make that up and then some.
Maybe, maybe not, maybe not so easy at least.

I'd rather be Nintendo though MAKING money on all the units being sold given a choice.

But either way, I guess the fans are not needing to care if Sony loses money on each sale eh.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nintendo are the only company that has been capable of doing so. They however previously had issues with sales so it would seem they chose the correct route.

Sony is betting on a threepeat. 3 consecutive consoles to break 100 million. They are 2/3 successful thus far.

Not to mention that the PS2 was still pretty much the best selling console in which they do now make money from hardware sales since the technology is so cheap. Not to mention the 110 million PS2 owners buying software.

They have steady income...they are just dumping alot into the new product.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not entirely unusual for a company to take an initial loss and wait for the money to roll in eventually. It's called investing. It's the same reason you might get a cable modem for free when you sign up with a high speed internet service. Microsoft themselves lost 4 billion dollars on the first Xbox, just to get a foot in the door in the videogame market, hoping that it would pay off in this or the next generation.

arckon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) senior vice president of marketing Peter Dille took to a side stage inside the booth to announce that the company had shipped 1 million PlayStation 3 units into the North American retail channel by the end of December.
Is what was actually stated.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well I suppose "shipped" is pretty much the same in some respects. Might not mean 1 million customers, but I suppose they had to sell the 1 million to stores in North America before they could ship them.

Either way, I think the 360 launch was fumbled in a variety of ways initially, so the PS3 costing money to sell, might at least come out as being better than shipping units that don't run.

But Sony still needs to spend the effort to reclaim the investment.

I think that makes the Nintendo launch the more successful of the 3. Because it made money and it runs. The fact it is a less complicated machine might not have been so bad.

Nintendo though, doesn't sell TVs or blank media or music, so naturally their company draws in less over all funds. But I am sure they will enjoy selling games that don't need to make up for a deadwight investment.

Until the PS3 tech becomes cheap, selling the units will be a demand on the profitability of every other portion of the Sony empire.