PS3 Controller May Have Rumble Feature...

Andymac

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Immersion Corporation, the technology firm that sued and won against Sony for illegal use of their 'haptic' (rumble technologies, has already commented on Sony's announcement that the PlayStation 3 DualShock will not have a rumble feature due its possible interference on the controller's six axis motion-sensing controller. Now, it's eDimensional's turn to dish out a commentary.

eDimensional is a gaming accessory manufacturer. Like Immersion, they believe that the combination of a touch feedback and motion-sensing is possible. They claim that they are currently working on a G-Pad Pro Gyroscopic controller for PC and PS2, which will make use of both Impression's "advanced vibri-tactile, spinning-mass gaming technologies" and the virtual reality motion-sensing technology.

If they do come up with such a device, then can Immersion representative Mark Belinsky be correct when he said that "there is more to the story than Sony is telling us"? I guess we can not tell for now. Let us all wait until this eDimensional controller comes out and see the combination of the two technologies realized.

Thanks To PS3.qj.net

Mike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I thought there wasn't enough room inside the controller for the wobble thingy aswell as wireless stuff and motion sensor.

Andymac

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mike said:
I thought there wasn't enough room inside the controller for the wobble thingy aswell as wireless stuff and motion sensor.

That was what sony said i think. Thats why they didn't put it in, but oh well, there ya go...

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sony didn't say there wasn't room....Sony said they couldn't put it in due to it messing up the gyroscope motion sensor. However this wasn't necessarily true...its due to the lawsuit. The above article does not shed anymore light on the situation then we already knew. Sony appealed Immersions lawsuit for 93.7 million dollars due to copyright infringement. Sony can not add rumble or force feed back to controllers until they either pay Immersion the money....or they win the lawsuit.

eDimensional is a satellite company of Immersion using the same technology. Sony can not sign with them either until the Immersion lawsuit is completed.

The reason they can not tell the exact truth of why the rumble will not be in the controller, is because they would give away important info about the lawsuit.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They can definately fit it in....someone here had a video of a dual-shock controller (3rd party) from like 1999 that had rumble and motion, just like this one.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The PS3 controller is super light also... which makes me think they will have some room.

Azsura

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who knows they just may add a rumble feature in as a surprise before launch, we can't say it's impossible for this. When I saw this at conference I had a doubt they couldn't fit it in, cause it just didn't seem right. <__< Would be gracious of them if they did that...thats what made the playstation a playstation...the rumble lol.