Proposals for 3.4(b)

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mark Stevens said:
Soviet airborne corps are deliberately too heavy (and indivisible) to drop until the Allied airlift capability is increased some time after US entry. I think that even if their parent formation takes a few losses that will allow them to be divided, the individual brigades will still be too heavy for the very limited early Allied airlift.

This is deliberate, as the Russians made no effort at any really sizeable airborne operations until the Dneiper drop of two brigades in 1943, which was a failure.

There were some small scale operations to support and supply the partisans, and something involving about 1,200 men against the Finns (also a grisly failure) but the Soviet airborne corps were usually used as elite ground infantry, with tanks attached. I'm afraid that this is what you get in EA. :whist:

Damn.....I'm sure we all could use them more effectively!!!
Why not give us a chance to try?

:smoke:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Winter of '42 is way too severe for the Germans.
I'd rather pay (t.o) for more winter gear.
This could be penalized by removal of certain units...very small but kill the shock a bit...sheeeeesh!

heheh

Bdr.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
It's enough well documented; surely the winter of 41-42 was a VERY difficult time for the German army? It was totally unprepared for the severe weather in terms of equipment, clothing and supplies and took a tremendous kicking, at least in the northern and central fronts.

It's a pity that the effect has to extend all over the map, but that applies to all shock and bonus effects, and you just have to rationalise that as extreme pressure in one area having a negative effect in others, e.g. because of the emergency in the USSR there's less supplies and equiprment that can be sent to the Desert Campaign or wherever.

If you find yourself, as the Axis, under pressure in Russia during the winter I'd argue that that's where the German High Command found itself.

Letting the Axis player, with the benefit of hindsight, order up massive stocks of winter clothing and develop better equipment is like letting it research better flak to counter the Strategic Bomber Offensive or advanced model U-boats, etc.

Too much for a game like this.

Issue a 'stand fast' order, entrench, set the units to ignore losses, and hope for the best.