Proper 'Football'

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This season the English Premier League is shaping up to be the most interesting yet. With Alex Ferguson (aka the dark lord) finally retiring during the close season (I'm sure there's a painting of him somewhere like Dorien Grey) and most of the big teams switching managers there were no certainties.

Manchester United (Fergies old team) and Everton (the blue deluded part of Liverpool) have always had a North Korea/Iran axis of evil relationship - upcoming talent like Wayne Rooney flowed one way, while players not good enough for ManU who wanted to play and earn for a few years before retirement - Phil Neville for example - flowed the other.

Ferguson's last act was to choose the Everton manager David Moyes (aka the Moysiah) to fill his shoes. Personally I think someone with a huge ego was needed to replace Fergie who although not a nice human being by any means has been the most successful manager in English football by a huge margin. Only Jose Mourinho (Chelsea) has that kind of ego.
Things aren't going too well for Moyes - 15 games into the season (of 38), Man United are 9th (of 20) and 13 points behind the leaders, consistently behind Everton who beat them recently. Moyes lost the goodwill of the Everton fans by trying to recruit some of his ex-players and his replacement - Martinez - has played good looking attacking football.

My team -Liverpool- are a bit of an enigma. Currently second behind Arsenal (sometimes known as the gooners and sometimes as the arse) we have the most prolific scorer in the league - Suarez - despite him missing the first six games for biting. He's the sort of player you'd love to hate if he wore any other shirt but by god he's our tw%t and we love him. However we have a couple of key injuries over the xmas period where English teams play a lot of games and tough matches coming up - I think we'll drop some places.

However the good thing about the league is that anyone can beat anyone - it's not utterly dominated by one or two teams like many other leagues. Nonetheless over the 38 games, the strength in depth you get when bankrolled by billionaires tends to show. My pick for top 4 spots is therefore fairly conservative-

1. Arsenal (the most creative and showing the most consistency at the moment).
2. Man City (Loads of money but lack that team ethos)
3. Chelski (I rate Mourinho, but far too many old faces or key players not replaced from his first run)
4. Liverpool (We seriously lack strength in depth but luckily our nearest rivals - Everton, Man United, Tottenham have their own problems. Of the three I'd say Everton would be the most likely to nick it from us.)

Give me your prediction and let us know who you support -

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
City will win it. Their strength in depth will carry them through.

And I support the team I've supported my entire life, my home town team, Stockport County. We're awful both on and off the field at the moment. But they're still my team.

We used to routinely whip Manchester City. Then they got taken over by outrageously rich Arabs and now wish we'd disappear and pretend that they weren't once quite ****, have always been successful and that their success isn't solely down to money.

And their largest support base is from Stockport. Rather than admit that they are glory hunting pieces of sh1t with no loyalty or pride in their home town, they try to sell the idea that Stockport is actually part of Manchester when it really is not in any way, shape or form. Kunts

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wait, wait.... don't get carried away. I saw Dire Straits play at Main Road in about 1992. They beat City 3-2.

Otherwise I have little to say about soccer except it is wank.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Wait, wait.... don't get carried away. I saw Dire Straits play at Main Road in about 1992. They beat City 3-2.

I was also at that concert

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Cricket is wank. Any game that includes lunch and tea and still doesn't end goes on too long. Plus it's for toffs. Football (only called soccer by americans and their fellow travellers - you British Benedict Arnold you) is the sport of the working classes. (Even though they can't afford tickets and shirts now.)

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Cricket is wank. Any game that includes lunch and tea and still doesn't end goes on too long. Plus it's for toffs. Football (only called soccer by americans and their fellow travellers - you British Benedict Arnold you) is the sport of the working classes. (Even though they can't afford tickets and shirts now.)
I firmly believe that a 5 Day Test Match is the most challenging team sport on the planet

So...you're wankier than cricket
:laugh::D

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I firmly believe that a 5 Day Test Match is the most challenging team sport on the planet

So...you're wankier than cricket
:laugh::D
My ar$e - upper class nobsters sitting round fielding all day. That's supposed to be challenging is it?
Even if all eleven players did do something for the entire five days which they don't - the tour de france or any number of sailing competitions would be more challenging team sports...

But you can have your delusions. 5-0 to those red men today!!!!! AVB sacked within days - spent £80m on a handful of magic beans...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
My ar$e - upper class nobsters sitting round fielding all day. That's supposed to be challenging is it?
Even if all eleven players did do something for the entire five days which they don't - the tour de france or any number of sailing competitions would be more challenging team sports...

But you can have your delusions. 5-0 to those red men today!!!!! AVB sacked within days - spent £80m on a handful of magic beans...
That's why I said team sports you Joey

:)

If Liverpool finish above Man U all's good with the world. IF 19 teams could finish above Man U, even better :)

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Tour de France & sailing competitions are team sports you platypus.

I don't actually hate ManU anymore particularly. ASL is probably to fault as it introduced me to ManU fans I liked as individuals (while feeling sorry for their disabilities). Plus when they actually got the 19th title, which had been hanging over our heads for years, it wasn't the end of the world and they deserved it - respect due.

Their team now reminds me of Liverpool in 89-91 era - achieved great things but the ageing stars of yesteryear have not been adequately replaced. I've been saying that for 3-4 years though - it may be wishful thinking. I was amazed they won the league last year as their midfield's sh&te.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Tour de France & sailing competitions are team sports you platypus.

I don't actually hate ManU anymore particularly. ASL is probably to fault as it introduced me to ManU fans I liked as individuals (while feeling sorry for their disabilities). Plus when they actually got the 19th title, which had been hanging over our heads for years, it wasn't the end of the world and they deserved it - respect due.

Their team now reminds me of Liverpool in 89-91 era - achieved great things but the ageing stars of yesteryear have not been adequately replaced. I've been saying that for 3-4 years though - it may be wishful thinking. I was amazed they won the league last year as their midfield's sh&te.
Are they balls...there are teams but THE prize is the individual yellow jersey.

Sailing...ok I'll give you that....but to be honest who gives a Dollar to a Buck about bloody sailing FFS

Agree with you....last year was an aberration. They're on the way down now thanks to Special Agent Moyes and his evil apprentice Fellaini