PROKHOROVKA! game on pre-order now at advancingfire.com!!

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Another interesting battle, that attracted our attention, not huge but big, is Targu (or Tirgu) Frumos, Romania April-May 1944. Grossdeutschland with Tigers, 88s and Panthers, 24th PzD and the remains of the 3rd SS TK Div against many Soviet protagonists of Prokhorovka (as the Rotmistrov's 5th Guards Tank Army) but with T34/85 and the first Iosif Stalins. It could be the time to deliver 658 "GD" squads.

Last edited:

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got mine today. Very fine work. I particularly like the supplemental interviews and the aerial photo stuff. Got the Christopher Lambert book when it came out, actually two - 1 to keep and 1 for speculation. For those of us that don't have access to heated maintenance garages or aircraft hangers to set it up in, it would seem that VASL will be what makes this most accessible - might need multiple big screens though.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
All the scenarios are playable on a large table. It is only the CG that requires 10' of space.

TET2020

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another interesting battle, that attracted our attention, not huge but big, is Targu (or Tirgu) Frumos, Romania April-May 1944. Grossdeutschland with Tigers, 88s and Panthers, 24th PzD and the remains of the 3rd SS TK Div against many Soviet protagonists of Prokhorovka (as the Rotmistrov's 5th Guards Tank Army) but with T34/85 and the first Iosif Stalins. It could be the time to deliver 658 "GD" squads.
Targul Frumos would be another exceptional ASL module. Was talking to Chris last week attempting to access the 1980's NATO documents that they were using in case the Warsaw Pact decided to invade as a blueprint for an organized defense in depth with mobile assets in reserve. This would be a nice link for your research if/when you decide to make it happen:

Let's Build The Battle of Targul Frumos
https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=10353

Also, I just received the module today...outstanding!

All the best,

Tobias

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got mine today. Very fine work. I particularly like the supplemental interviews and the aerial photo stuff. Got the Christopher Lambert book when it came out, actually two - 1 to keep and 1 for speculation. For those of us that don't have access to heated maintenance garages or aircraft hangers to set it up in, it would seem that VASL will be what makes this most accessible - might need multiple big screens though.
I'm starting to regret not having pre-ordered this one.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My copy arrived on Friday. Very impressed. Scenarios are mainly large, to enormous but, the numbers are historically correct as far as I’m aware. It is clear that a lot of historical research has gone into this module and it shows.
Historical scenarios with historically correct numbers of tanks, bring it on. The main CG is clearly a team oriented gaming effort, there must be close to 200 Russian AFVs that will eventually make an appearance.
Counters and maps are excellent quality, the thinner maps from earlier modules have now been replaced with a much more substantial offering in this module. Replacement counters for the earlier modules are included as well. The module is boxed.😎

In this module the counter sheets aren’t just a superfluous addition. Most players will need the additional Russian AFV counters. Also a nice touch to see some of the actual commanders named on the SMC counters, just adds that touch of historicity.

And, if you ordered the limited edition dice tower, well, you really will be impressed. It really is a well constructed, well designed and attractive accessory. Will cope with 20 sided dice with ease and the felt lining ensures the dice roll silently to deliver boxcars for that crucial attack or morale check….
All in all, based upon the component quality and content I’m very satisfied with my purchase.

nice job guys!

cheers

Paul

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Believe Dubno was it in terms of number of vehicles. It was earlier in the war, so didn't have the big beasts roaming around, so not as sexy. Also, the Germans also came out better than the Soviets did (unlike Kursk/Prokhorovka), so it's probably not surprising that it didn't get a lot of emphasis in Soviet literature. I believe there are a few scenarios based on various parts of the battle.
There is a scenario in AP#1 called Directive Number Three which covers the Dubno tank battle.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just received my second copy of the module. It is so good I wanted to have two.

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very impressed with the module, setup the July 10 scenario and pushed some counters around solo today. Just wondering if the maps will be made available in VASL at some point. Apologies if this was already discussed previously as I haven’t read through the whole thread.

Gary Bartlett

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very impressed with the module, setup the July 10 scenario and pushed some counters around solo today. Just wondering if the maps will be made available in VASL at some point. Apologies if this was already discussed previously as I haven’t read through the whole thread.
Yes, you should eventually find them here: http://advancingfire.com/index.php/support

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yes please!!

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, you should eventually find them here: http://advancingfire.com/index.php/support
would be nice to have an indication of when VASL will be supported for this fine module. Had a similar experience when I ordered and received the last offering from Advancing Fire and by the time VASL was supported I had moved on and now have never played anything from it. I hope we see something soon.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
would be nice to have an indication of when VASL will be supported for this fine module. Had a similar experience when I ordered and received the last offering from Advancing Fire and by the time VASL was supported I had moved on and now have never played anything from it. I hope we see something soon.
I suppose you have to give company’s time to sell their products before going to VASL for map access? Seems reasonable

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
playtesting and was done on VASL maps tho Neil
Play testing is usually keep it secret keep it safe. And not part of financial considerations
Game designers I think would naturally want sales before release to VASL ? But just thinking 🤔 is all. Of course I would like access. Although multi screen cinema screen may be necessary for the big map scenario 🤔

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I can see the point you are making about restricting access to increase sales, it would be nice to allow those who purchased the product to have access to the maps. I would also say that I’m not 100% sure allowing VASL access has that much of an impact on sales, especially for a product that had a long development timeline and what I imagine were good pre sales numbers.

sgt. Essig

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
My copy arrived on Friday. Very impressed. Scenarios are mainly large, to enormous but, the numbers are historically correct as far as I’m aware. It is clear that a lot of historical research has gone into this module and it shows.
Historical scenarios with historically correct numbers of tanks, bring it on. The main CG is clearly a team oriented gaming effort, there must be close to 200 Russian AFVs that will eventually make an appearance.
Counters and maps are excellent quality, the thinner maps from earlier modules have now been replaced with a much more substantial offering in this module. Replacement counters for the earlier modules are included as well. The module is boxed.😎

In this module the counter sheets aren’t just a superfluous addition. Most players will need the additional Russian AFV counters. Also a nice touch to see some of the actual commanders named on the SMC counters, just adds that touch of historicity.

And, if you ordered the limited edition dice tower, well, you really will be impressed. It really is a well constructed, well designed and attractive accessory. Will cope with 20 sided dice with ease and the felt lining ensures the dice roll silently to deliver boxcars for that crucial attack or morale check….
All in all, based upon the component quality and content I’m very satisfied with my purchase.

nice job guys!

cheers

Paul
About the dicetower, Thanks a lot!

I am the builder :)

Mario"sgt.essig" Aceto