PROKHOROVKA! game on pre-order now at advancingfire.com!!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Received my copies from Ritterkrieg yesterday, looked over the scenarios, almost all are very SSR intensive. I guess these guys went to the andy hershey school of HASL design lol. Will I play these? I dont know, most seem to be on the super large side with several blocks of SSR's. But thats my take on it.

voyager77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree with Gunner. Several pages of special rules that are complex. While I know they tried to replicate the terrain of the battle looks like you’ll spend a lot of time trying to figure out LOS. Only a couple scenarios less than 12 turns. Most have very large OB’s. Sadly disappointed.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
My tracking says it is due tomorrow. It is already in the UK. What I hear about this module makes me even more excited about it. I always did love the big and complex stuff.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Well it was supposedly the largest tank battle in history. I doubt a scenario with single T-34 versus a Ferdinand will capture the essence. ;):whistle:
I get your point, but there were no Ferdinands down South.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Here are the four areas covered in the Prokhorovka maps and how they relate to each other.

I am not familiar with the details of the tactical situation, so here is my question:

With the Soviets pushing from Sovkhoz Oktyabrsky towards Sovkhoz Komsomolets, how is the likely flanking fire that they would receive from SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt. 1, SS-Pz.Jg.Abt. 1, and SS-Stug.Abt. 1 in the woods be handled in the CG, which would come from an area just off-map?

The presence of StuGs and Panzerjägers in that woods seems to indicate that just such flanking fire was intended by the Germans.

von Marwitz

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
View attachment 20209

I am not familiar with the details of the tactical situation, so here is my question:

With the Soviets pushing from Sovkhoz Oktyabrsky towards Sovkhoz Komsomolets, how is the likely flanking fire that they would receive from SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt. 1, SS-Pz.Jg.Abt. 1, and SS-Stug.Abt. 1 in the woods be handled in the CG, which would come from an area just off-map?

The presence of StuGs and Panzerjägers in that woods seems to indicate that just such flanking fire was intended by the Germans.

von Marwitz
The white line that flanks the 1-5 big map is a road but, mainly, an highly elevated railroad through which there was no LOS and that cut the battlefield in two parts... an entire Soviet tank brigade (25th) attacked from Yamki the Storozhevoje woods and kept very busy part of the SS PzGrenRgt 1, PzJgAbt 1 and StuGAbt 1. Furthermore other elements of these units were involved in attack vs. Storozhevoje village. SS StuGAbt 1 was also in reserve and rally after two days of heavy fights. This allowed an entire T-34 company (15 tanks) of the 32nd Soviet Tank Brigade, commanded by Maj. Ivanov, and a small amount of supporting infantry to penetrate in the area between the railroad and the woods in the early stages of the battle and to reach undisturbed Komsomolets sovkhoz.

Last edited:

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Believe Dubno was it in terms of number of vehicles. It was earlier in the war, so didn't have the big beasts roaming around, so not as sexy. Also, the Germans also came out better than the Soviets did (unlike Kursk/Prokhorovka), so it's probably not surprising that it didn't get a lot of emphasis in Soviet literature. I believe there are a few scenarios based on various parts of the battle.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
This also: http://www.dupuyinstitute.org/blog/2018/05/12/was-kursk-the-largest-tank-battle-in-history/

Basically the whole of Kursk was huge. But Prokhorovka was not that big. The Russian commander of 5th Guards Tank Army, that led the charge, had to justify its horrendous losses by stating that he had “broken the back” of the SS tank arm. And the lie kept being used because it was a terrible fiasco all over the command line. Western sources just quoted this story after the war.