Products that I'd like to see MMP produce

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More "Hatten in Flames"-like HASL. Handsome map, not much special terrain nor units nor SSRs, one or two campaigns, some scenarios....
Bitterest Day (Sugar Loaf Hill/ Okinawa) would fit this bill perfectly.

1 map, 2 pages of Special Rules, 8 scenarios, & 1 CG. No new counters needed as long as you own the PTO module.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blockbuster HASLs, like Kohima, or Cassino - are great ideas, but would take years to complete and publish.

On the other hand, more compact and easily designed/developed HASLs like Hatten are more practical. And as the MMP guys have said KISS (Keep It Simple). Use existing nationalities, existing Rules (though some SSRs always fine), and wide interest by players (ie. with major powers) seems to be the right approach.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nevertheless, to me the accuracy of the HASL map is the key attraction. As much as I appreciate the flexibility the geo boards give to scenario designers, I never really feel like I’m truly playing an accurate representation of a battle when using a map that is sorta-kinda like the actual historical terrain.
I could not have said it better regarding the geo boards. I am beyond done with them.

I have been spoiled by the unique flavor and appearance of the HASL's... Festung Budapest, Operation Turnscrew, and Fight for Seoul in particular. 'ASL life' is too short IMO to keep playing on the same generic geo boards over and over, with their familiar, repetitive road layouts and weird urban layouts, some of which seem about as realistic as a paintball facility.

Regarding the Journals, I personally couldn't care less if none were ever published again, unless the usual content of 5-7 turn geo board scenarios were to be replaced by a single, decent and interesting HASL from any theater of the war. DfTB has proven that this approach is possible with their Operation Turnscrew HASL. I do miss the Designer's Notes type articles, historical analysis, rules explanations, and players's tips from the Journals however, I appreciate the manner in which LFT, BFP, and DfTB ( Carl Nogueira in particular) have contributed to fill the voids in these area.

No interest in anything more on Stalingrad either. The existing products are excellent and more than I could ever need or would ever have time to play.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I could not have said it better regarding the geo boards. I am beyond done with them.

I have been spoiled by the unique flavor and appearance of the HASL's... Festung Budapest, Operation Turnscrew, and Fight for Seoul in particular. 'ASL life' is too short IMO to keep playing on the same generic geo boards over and over, with their familiar, repetitive road layouts and weird urban layouts, some of which seem about as realistic as a paintball facility.

Regarding the Journals, I personally couldn't care less if none were ever published again, unless the usual content of 5-7 turn geo board scenarios were to be replaced by a single, decent and interesting HASL from any theater of the war. DfTB has proven that this approach is possible with their Operation Turnscrew HASL. I do miss the Designer's Notes type articles, historical analysis, rules explanations, and players's tips from the Journals however, I appreciate the manner in which LFT, BFP, and DfTB ( Carl Nogueira in particular) have contributed to fill the voids in these area.

No interest in anything more on Stalingrad either. The existing products are excellent and more than I could ever need or would ever have time to play.
Geo maps were and are a good thing but the interest in historically accurate maps seems significant and I can appreciate that.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Would love to see MMP do some HASLs that have been "done" previously by others, specifically Cassino, Buna Gona, Berlin, Point du Hoc. Some awesome actions that are virtually unplayable as currently presented.
Yes, like what CH did with the Grain Elevator, that could easily be a small HASL in a magazine, with a HASL Map, several scenarios and a small campaign done right. A correct map in MMP art form could be awesome to fight over.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, like what CH did with the Grain Elevator, that could easily be a small HASL in a magazine, with a HASL Map, several scenarios and a small campaign done right. A correct map in MMP art form could be awesome to fight over.
Vic, yea. I have such a sketch for the Grain Elevator - as accurate as I can make it - that in fact could be an overlay used on the RB map - in the center of the map on the west side where the RR tracks are located.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yuri, I feel your angst (geoboards familiar, repetitive road layouts and weird urban layouts, some of which seem about as realistic as a paintball facility), and agree with those points, however..
And as someone who's designed several of the geoboards - there are ways, some of which have been used / some not, to break the monotony by:
  • preparing large historical overlays that would cover 1/2 geoboard
  • preparing geoboards with historical layouts (Boards 64/65 based on a town in Normandy, and board 12a(Fort style) based on St.Lambert Sur Dives - Normandy) but which connect to other geoboards
  • preparing geoboards that aren't cluttered with too much evenly distributed terrain - giving the 'paintball park' feel that some have. Meaning - more realistic looking boards for specific theaters such as Ukraine, Normandy, Italy, etc..
The problem isn't too many geoboards - its more about what the existing geoboards look like and what kinds of geoboards can be prepared that are more realistic.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Vic, yea. I have such a sketch for the Grain Elevator - as accurate as I can make it - that in fact could be an overlay used on the RB map - in the center of the map on the west side where the RR tracks are located.
This is something I pulled together in 2014 as a "proof of concept" for an AP-style Grain Elevator board.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is something I pulled together in 2014 as a "proof of concept" for an AP-style Grain Elevator board.
View attachment 22985
Thanks - I think I've seen this too.
Translating such aerial photos into ASL hexes is a 'design for effect' kind of challenge. You can't be too literal because not every bit of terrain fits or is necessary. Reading this type of photo in itself is kinda sketchy but its still of very good use.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The interest in such scenarios really does seem significant. It could be one of the driving forces for ASL longevity.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yuri, I feel your angst (geoboards familiar, repetitive road layouts and weird urban layouts, some of which seem about as realistic as a paintball facility), and agree with those points, however..
And as someone who's designed several of the geoboards - there are ways, some of which have been used / some not, to break the monotony by:
  • preparing geoboards with historical layouts (Boards 64/65 based on a town in Normandy, and board 12a(Fort style) based on St.Lambert Sur Dives - Normandy) but which connect to other geoboards
  • preparing geoboards that aren't cluttered with too much evenly distributed terrain - giving the 'paintball park' feel that some have. Meaning - more realistic looking boards for specific theaters such as Ukraine, Normandy, Italy, etc..
The problem isn't too many geoboards - its more about what the existing geoboards look like and what kinds of geoboards can be prepared that are more realistic.
Lol Grandpa's 32 coupe really is better with that Lincoln motor it's really souped up! The original boards served their purpose and Grofaz bless their designers but 1977 was a while back. Time to move forward.

Btw a no prize if you get the joke.🤣

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent points!
I should have clarified in my earlier post that I have no complaint with any of the 'Fort' boards, and I have enjoyed every scenario which I have played upon them.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This one, from this year, is closer to proper alignment for the AP/Fort style.
View attachment 22986
Some years ago a guy from GB (i´m sorry but can´t remember his name) was very eager to fill the gap of missing maps of Stalingrad. Unfortunately he left ASL for some other, heretical wargames....

This is only a small snippet of the first map he made....

And a snippet of the final version i think...