Products that I'd like to see MMP produce

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it would be cool for MMP to put out counters for those situations noted in Chapter H notes for which the counter also represents a different vehicle with differing MP or AF or perhaps the Finnish 47mm AT gun which is currently represented by the Finnish 45L AT counter. Perhaps combine it with a Rare Vehicles/Ordnance pack.
Second vote for this.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Kohima has also mentioned by several. You tell me - what is LFT supposed to do when the original designer won't finish it out? What am I supposed to do with the map that I worked on for a good long time?
Shaun (the original designer) turned up to a Blackpool tourny a couple of years ago and I bought him a drink and had a chat.

He's been through a tough time - lost his job amongst other things. I suggested that he be kind to himself and just give it all to Xavier and the LFT group who could finish it off for him. Craig Benn was sitting nearby and he said he'd do some playtesting if required. Everybody wants to help him finish it because it all looks so good.

It's his baby though and he does not want to let it go. He wants to be the one to finish it.

There is no solution to that - it is Shaun's choice.

If you own the intellectual property of the map - my suggestion would be to email Shaun, tell him that you do not want all your hard work and long hours wasted and that you are going to pass your map onto someone else so that they can do a HASL from scratch using your map. Xavier has just retired and maybe he wants a project? Chas at Bounding Fire?

Please feel free to ignore this advice.............

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Appreciate the info and advice, Joe.

Do I own the IP for the map? I THINK the answer is a straightforward yes, but IANAL and I can imagine there's subtleties that I'm ignorant of. It's a question that has never come up before, and I think that says a lot about the quality of the people in this hobby AND the unusual situation that Kohima represents. I don't want to know the answer to the IP question - I agree that the best solution is for Shaun to get back into it and finish it.

I am very sympathetic about Life Stuff and mental health interfering with ASL - I've had my own issues there. So the very last thing I want to do is put Shaun under a spotlight or pressure him. To the extent that I've already done that here, I apologize. I guess the way this has lingered is aggravating - I've put in a lot of work on this and I want to see it published.

Stack that up against Shaun's right of ownership here, recognizing that this is his baby and being sympathetic to his life situation, and my complaint just doesn't matter that much. Sucks, but that's just how it goes.

I'd love to post a low-res version of the map here and drum up enough player enthusiasm to perhaps convince Shaun to finish it, but TBH if the personal outreach that you (and I know others like Xavier) have done hasn't moved the needle, then I don't think it'd help.

So. Thanks, all, for listening to my griping. Please, all, respect Shaun's privacy and right to do whatever he wants with his Kohima HASL. Let's all hope it works out for the best.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Appreciate the info and advice, Joe.

Do I own the IP for the map? I THINK the answer is a straightforward yes, but IANAL and I can imagine there's subtleties that I'm ignorant of. It's a question that has never come up before, and I think that says a lot about the quality of the people in this hobby AND the unusual situation that Kohima represents. I don't want to know the answer to the IP question - I agree that the best solution is for Shaun to get back into it and finish it.

I am very sympathetic about Life Stuff and mental health interfering with ASL - I've had my own issues there. So the very last thing I want to do is put Shaun under a spotlight or pressure him. To the extent that I've already done that here, I apologize. I guess the way this has lingered is aggravating - I've put in a lot of work on this and I want to see it published.

Stack that up against Shaun's right of ownership here, recognizing that this is his baby and being sympathetic to his life situation, and my complaint just doesn't matter that much. Sucks, but that's just how it goes.

I'd love to post a low-res version of the map here and drum up enough player enthusiasm to perhaps convince Shaun to finish it, but TBH if the personal outreach that you (and I know others like Xavier) have done hasn't moved the needle, then I don't think it'd help.

So. Thanks, all, for listening to my griping. Please, all, respect Shaun's privacy and right to do whatever he wants with his Kohima HASL. Let's all hope it works out for the best.
Very nicely expressed. I am not the artistic or creative kind of guy but I appreciate those who are. Wanting to see your work published is natural. Suppressing that desire must be difficult. That you do so out of respect for a fellow gamer is quite admirable. Hats off to you Sir.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Shaun (the original designer) turned up to a Blackpool tourny a couple of years ago and I bought him a drink and had a chat.

He's been through a tough time - lost his job amongst other things. I suggested that he be kind to himself and just give it all to Xavier and the LFT group who could finish it off for him. Craig Benn was sitting nearby and he said he'd do some playtesting if required. Everybody wants to help him finish it because it all looks so good.

It's his baby though and he does not want to let it go. He wants to be the one to finish it.

There is no solution to that - it is Shaun's choice.

If you own the intellectual property of the map - my suggestion would be to email Shaun, tell him that you do not want all your hard work and long hours wasted and that you are going to pass your map onto someone else so that they can do a HASL from scratch using your map. Xavier has just retired and maybe he wants a project? Chas at Bounding Fire?

Please feel free to ignore this advice.............
I'd buy that HASL from Xavier or Chas as other than MMP, they would also do a good job with it. Damn, want Kohima and the Kokoda Trail HASLs bad!

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One idea would be a series of small HASL presentations for the battles around Bastonge in a HASL format similar to NaPhum Ga. A series of small HASL maps representing areas where battles raged over an extended period such as Noville-Foy, Marvie, Bizory-Magaret, Champs-Longchamps and Senonchamps; perhaps even Hemoulie. These could be presented in a single package or as a series of smaller linked games. Of course, there are a plethora of similar actions that could be presented such as in Normandy operations (al la PURPLE HEART DRAW), the Metz-Nancy operations, The German defense of the Nikopol bridgehead in Russia, The Scheldt Estuary operations (already presented in a SL/ASL geo-board series of scenarios) could also be presented in such a fashion, etc.

Some more interesting larger HASL presentations could be Breslau, Aachen (as mentioned in an earlier thread), Buna-Gona operation in New Guinea as well as along the Druinimor River as well; the Walcheren Island battles (already initially covered in a SL/ASL fashion) could also be envisioned and I, for one, believe it deserves a more detailed submission.

ASL is first and foremost an infantry centric game and should remain so. The armor rules are simply too basic to represent much more than a general armor engagement experience or outcome. Efforts have been made to represent larger armor intensive conflicts (usually Eastern Front offerings) but whereas these are generally fun, they fall short of presenting a truly engaging experience both as historically accurate representation and an illuminating game wise experience (IMHO). I believe armor should be offered as a force multiplier, as it was initially intended for an SL/ASL presentation; leave the armor centric offerings to a different type of product that would enhance their peculiarities and bring out their efficaciousness in combat.

As always these are just my opinions and food for thought.
You are the man of my dreams. Agreed on all points. Small, tight, mainly infantry battles with limited components. Easy to fit into an AP or Journal. So many mini-HASL topics and too many to list.
If you have any battle particular in mind - I'd probably be interested (see my comments above about minor/major) in preparing a small HASL map or large Overlay designed to take 1/2 of a geoboard for you. Perhaps we can also enlist Tom Repetti, our Lord-of-the-VASL to help. I'd also be interested in helping to research and design the game/scenarios. So, bring it on my friend :)

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ah, but there are:

A57 First Banzai
CH59 Bucking For Sergeant
SP100 The Attu Climb

if there are any more I sure would like to know about them
My home town is Dawson Creek BC , the beginning of the Alsaka Highway, built just for the reason the Japanese invaded Alaska. Dawson Creek was a massive staging area for the US forces moving up to the Alaska highway.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kohima has also mentioned by several. You tell me - what is LFT supposed to do when the original designer won't finish it out? What am I supposed to do with the map that I worked on for a good long time?
It's a great map, Tuomo!