Problems with installing VASL on new iMac

Nicho11

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llAustralia
I am trying to install VASL on my iMac running 10.15.5 Catalina. I have managed to download and install Java (after much ado). I have downloaded the VASSAL engine 3.3.1 and then downloaded the VASL module. However when I try to import the module into the Module Library I get an error message. It says the version of VASL is incompatible with VASSAL 3.3.1 and suggests I load that version with VASSAL 3.1.20. Is anyone else having trouble with this and does anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? VASSAL 3.1.20 was launched in 2012 and I can't see that that would be the correct version.

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
The VASL module has not yet been updated to run under the new version of Vassal so you need an older version.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"3.1.20" is coming from a bad message in 3.3.0; we missed updating it. It's already fixed in the development build, and that fix will be in the 3.3.2 release.

The correct version of VASSAL to use with VASL 6.5.0 at the time I'm writing this is 3.2.17.

Tom Padgett

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mr. Uckleman, are their plans to update it to work with the current version of VASSAL? Or do we need to download a separate version of Vassal? I am sorry for not understanding.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm not sure which part you're confused about, so here's everything:
  • VASSAL 3.2.17 is the last version of VASSAL that VASL 6.5.0 works with.
  • There is no VASL release which works with VASSAL 3.3 yet.
  • There is an unreleased development build of VASL which works with VASSAL 3.3. I expect that will be released as VASL 6.6.0 (?) in not all that long.
  • The error message you were seeing which contained "3.1.20" was due to a bug in VASSAL introduced in 3.3.0, which we've corrected in our development build and the fix will be in VASSAL 3.3.2. The error message should have said "3.2.17" instead.

Tom Padgett

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, thank you so very much! I am new to the whole thing and therefore was confused by what seemed to be working really well (VASSAL) and then hit the stumbling block.

I'll just give it a little time. So much more to explore. And again, I thank you for the clarifications.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You're hitting this in a period where there's a compatibility break with VASSAL, which hasn't happened in a looooong time. That might have happened when we released 3.2, but it's so long ago I don't remember anymore. This should settle down again in not too much longer.

Tom Padgett

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is so totally typical for me. So... I'm sure y'all will get it fixed and I'll be playing soon. Thank you!

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You should have no problems if you install VASSAL 3.2.17 to use with VASL 6.5.0.

Nicho11

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llAustralia
OK so I managed to install VASL and download the boards but am having trouble with the overlays. I have saved them to a separate folder in the Boards folder but when I try to place an overlay on a board I get a message that the overlay does not exist. Any suggestions?

Nicho11

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llAustralia
I'm sorry I don't know what that means. There is no prompt to "unzip" the files I just moved them from the downloads folder to the ASL folder. I did the same thing with the boards and they seem to work OK. I am at work at the moment so will investigate this when I get home. Thanks for the advice.

Nicho11

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llAustralia
When I right click on the files it shows a number of options, one of them is to "compress" the file. I take it this indicates the file is "unzipped"? Is this a Mac thing?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
If you place the file ovrX in the boards/overlays folder, that should be enough to access the overlays.
When you go to apply X1 to B1/B2, or whatever, on the board selector screen that's where (boards/overlays) it looks for the ovrX file.
You can also grab the overlays extension from vasl.info which is generally easier to use (more drag-n-drop) for 90% of the scenarios.

The best way to test if the ovrX contains what you want is to:
copy the file to you desktop
rename the file to ovrX.zip
double click the file
and you should see all the ovrX bits (data, ovrx1a.gif, ovrx1b.gif, etc...)
if you just see another ovrX inside then you can just pull that out and drop it into your boards/overlays instead

Also, sometimes people put illegal orientations or unknown overlay numbers (ovr55, for example) and will get a similar message about something not existing.

To help further, maybe put a screenshot of your add overlay dialog and the actual message so we can target the troubleshooting.

All of this should be the same for Windows, Linux, and OS X.

Nicho11

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llAustralia
I renamed the ovr1 file as suggested and then double clicked it and there are a whole lot of files inside so this is as described above. Do I do this for all the files? Do I move the "now unzipped" ovr1 folder into the overlays folder or do I move the individual files into the folder? Sorry for being such a pain.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I renamed the ovr1 file as suggested and then double clicked it and there are a whole lot of files inside so this is as described above. Do I do this for all the files? Do I move the "now unzipped" ovr1 folder into the overlays folder or do I move the individual files into the folder? Sorry for being such a pain.
Do neither. Your original file was fine. If you made a copy, just leave the original there. If you moved it, just rename it back (you might have to hit Get Info in case it just hides the extension from you instead of actually removing it).
Can you post the exact error message you get when you try to add the overlay? Perhaps with a screenshot of the options you're putting into the add overlay dialog box?

You might want to also consider jumping onto a Zoom screen share with someone so we can see your environment with experienced eyes.

Nicho11

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Country
llAustralia
OK so I am totally confused as to what to do next. I am attaching the screen shots as advised. Screen Shot 1 shows the message that pops up when I try to apply the overlay. Screen Shot 2 shows the Overlays folder within the Boards Folder. Screen Shot 3 shows the contents of the Overlays Folder.

Attachments

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Well I can tell from your screenshots that:
a) the message says: 'data' not found in /Applications/board/overlays/ovrH, but
b) in the first screenshot your Boards folder is inside a folder called VASL

What is the value in the Board Directory box at the top of the board selection screen? I'm guessing it's not point to your VASL folder.