Problem with red circle on map / auto convert to 6.6.1?

Johnne

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

I have a difficulty with the red circle on map function in 6.6.1 . I can't scroll down far enough in the window to press 'select' (or whatever the button says). A friend showed me how to convert it to a 3-D scroll device with arrow keys, but when I tried to click, or press return, it changed the 3-D device back to normal, and I again couldn't scroll down far enough.

So I naturally prefer to play 6.5.1 (VASSAL 3.2.17). However, the last couple times, when I try to save VASL set up in 6.5.1, it seems to auto-convert to 6.6.1 and 3.4.6- and again no red circle on map function.

Suggestions?

Many thanks!

~John

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It is now a preference. Have you checked the box? -- jim

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
But on some laptops you can't see the entire preference window on screen and the window can't be moved or scrolled. This will be fixed in 6.6.2 coming this spring where all VASL preferences will have their own window thus reducing this window in size.

As for the bounce-back between 6.5.1 and 6.6.1, I am not sure what you mean by auto convert. If you try to open a 6.5.1 saved game by double-clicking on the .vsav file, and you have 6.6.1/3.4.6 installed then yes it will open in 6.6.1/3.4.6. Instead of double-clicking, open the 3.2.17 vassal window, open vasl6.5.1 then open saved game.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
But on some laptops you can't see the entire preference window on screen and the window can't be moved or scrolled.
Good point!

A work-around until the release of VASL v6.6.2 in which this is fixed could be to raise the laptop's screen resolution. Everything might 'get smaller' but at least you might fit the entire preferences window on the screen to change the setting.

von Marwitz

Johnne

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Good point!

A work-around until the release of VASL v6.6.2 in which this is fixed could be to raise the laptop's screen resolution. Everything might 'get smaller' but at least you might fit the entire preferences window on the screen to change the setting.

von Marwitz
You mean like "1366 x 768"?

I could bring it down to 1024 x 768, would that be likely to help?

Many thanks!

~John

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You mean like "1366 x 768"?

I could bring it down to 1024 x 768, would that be likely to help?

Many thanks!

~John
I guess it depends on your individual screen. Just test a bit what fits your needs best.

Personally, I am 'working' with a laptop (closed lid) and two external TFT-screens using an extended desktop that allows to combine both of these to be used as one big area. I use one for the VASL map window and the other for counters, the log/dice, the server window, and other applications.

Besides that, my scenario card is always at hand in a printed version as well as Ole Boe's splendid two page IIFT(M)QRDC with all of the most needed tables.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Johnne

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Hi everybody!

I got a real big game in a couple days, one of these hugely cluttered scenarios where you can't even see the board.

Would anybody possibly help me work thru this red circle on map issue between now and then? I can try magnification, and actually I do also have an extra screen here.

Is anybody here skilled at this?

Thanks!!!

~John

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
First of all what VASL/VASSAL versions are you using?

Have you checked your preferences to make sure it is enabled?

What problem are you having?

Johnne

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Howdy Doug,

I hope the following summarizes. I cannot physically scroll down far enough to click "accept" changes to the preference, ie, highlight shows red circle on map

Is the following helpful?

Thank you, ~John

Jan 22, 2021

Hi all,

I have a difficulty with the red circle on map function in 6.6.1 . I can't scroll down far enough in the window to press 'select' (or whatever the button says). A friend showed me how to convert it to a 3-D scroll device with arrow keys, but when I tried to click, or press return, it changed the 3-D device back to normal, and I again couldn't scroll down far enough.

So I naturally prefer to play 6.5.1 (VASSAL 3.2.17). However, the last couple times, when I try to save VASL set up in 6.5.1, it seems to auto-convert to 6.6.1 and 3.4.6- and again no red circle on map function.

Suggestions?

Many thanks!

~John

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi John, sorry I didn't realize in my last reply that this was the thread that had been active for a while. I thought it was a new thread. I don't really have any further suggestions. VASL6.6.2 is coming . . . . soon.