Prisoner Release

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A captured unit (white unarmed counter) is 'abandoned' in the RPh.

The releasing unit then fires/kills the unarmed unit in the subsequent PFPh.

Does this action invoke any form of Massacre/No Quarter?

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ds said:

Since you abandoned the unit in the RPh and fired upon it in the subsequent PFPh, the unit is still in the same Location as its former captors. Per A20.4, "Only SS, Japanese, Partisan, Russian, or berserk Infantry/Cavalry - if not in Melee - may eliminate an unarmed unit in their Location not in the act of escape." Since the rule doesn't say anything about actually guarding that unarmed unit, I'd say this would apply in your situation, with the appropriate restrictions on who can fire and the subsequent penalties under A20.4 and A20.3.

However, if not in the same Location (say another squad elsewhere is firing on your just-abandoned unarmed unit), I can't right off hand find anything that says you'd suffer these penalties.

Pete

ds

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks John (for the clarifying email), citing the 20.53 rule stating Massacre would be in effect. But is that true even if the prisoner was not in the same location as the attacker (which seems a necessary characteristic for Massacre, per 20.4)?

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ds said:

Per A20.4, they would have to be SS, Japanese, Partisan, Russian, or berserk. Then Massacre would apply.

I find this curious: A20.53 (2nd Ed) "... (i.e., an abandoned prisoner subsequently eliminated by the side that abandoned it causes the Massacre rule to take immediate effect)."

It appears that if any of your units eliminates an Unarmed unit that is abandoned (i.e. in the same Location as but not Guarded by an enemy unit), the Massacre rule is invoked. I hadn't considered that.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pryoung said:
Per A20.4, "Only SS, Japanese, Partisan, Russian, or berserk Infantry/Cavalry - if not in Melee - may eliminate an unarmed unit in their Location not in the act of escape."
I'm just curious...

What, in ASL terms, is "an act of escape"? How can this occur outside of the CCPh?

If an Unarmed unit is abandoned (i.e. in the same Location but not Guarded), what is an act of escape? Expending a MF to leave the Location? But then, you wouldn't be in the Location anymore anyway...

... just wondering.

Bruce Bakken

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pryoung said:
However, if not in the same Location (say another squad elsewhere is firing on your just-abandoned unarmed unit), I can't right off hand find anything that says you'd suffer these penalties.
D'oh! Missed 20.53 which covers this.

Pete

da priest

Reaction score
Yep.

A20.53 MOVEMENT: ....Abandoned prisoners are still subject to the protection of 20.3-.4 (i.e., an abandoned prisoner subsequently eliminated by the side that abandoned it causes the Massacre rule to take immediate effect).

Doesn't say a thing about same hex/location either.