Prisoner Escape

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Romanian Conscript Half Squad captures 2 Russian squads and an 8-1 leader. Surprisingly the Romanian Conscript Half Squad later fails a morale check and the prisoners attempt to escape.

A few questions to make sure we did this right:

Each captured squad takes a TC and if passed can attack in CC. One passed and one didn't so only one gets to attack. Correct?

Upon killing the broken Romanian all of the captured squads are escaped (there was no other Romanians in the hex) and a single Russian rearmed conscript half squad is created leaving an unarmed squad, an unarmed half squad and the 8-1 leader. The rules says that escaped SMC are always armed so do we put the 8-1 leader back on the board?

In the CC the prisoner rolled snakes, which is leader creation according to A18.12. Can there be leader creation for a prisoner? A perusal of the rules did not reveal a definitive answer. In this case the CC was victorious but certainly in some cases, even with a 2, there might be some enemy left in the hex. So if there is still enemy is an unarmed leader created? No leader created? We couldn't find an answer to this one.

It seems that I don't often deal with the prisoner rules and every time I do I have more questions than answers.

Mike

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A Romanian Conscript Half Squad captures 2 Russian squads and an 8-1 leader. Surprisingly the Romanian Conscript Half Squad later fails a morale check and the prisoners attempt to escape.

A few questions to make sure we did this right:

Each captured squad takes a TC and if passed can attack in CC. One passed and one didn't so only one gets to attack. Correct?
*All* prisoners can make the TC, including the captured 8-1. The leader's DRM applies to the MMC's TCs even if the leader is not escaping. The leader's DRM would not apply to an *attack* unless the leader passed his NTC and was attacking jointly with some other unit.

q&a said:
A20.55 Can/must a Captured leader use his leadership DRM to affect another captured unit's Escape NTC?
A. Yes. [Letter4]
My guess is the removal of the leader from the board was done so as to avoid printing another type of counter. The prisoner-leader is always there for all purposes.

Upon killing the broken Romanian all of the captured squads are escaped (there was no other Romanians in the hex) and a single Russian rearmed conscript half squad is created leaving an unarmed squad, an unarmed half squad and the 8-1 leader. The rules says that escaped SMC are always armed so do we put the 8-1 leader back on the board?
Yes, the 8-1 is back onboard. I believe that even while offboard he could still attack if he had passed his NTC and/or if there were a Melee.

In the CC the prisoner rolled snakes, which is leader creation according to A18.12. Can there be leader creation for a prisoner? A perusal of the rules did not reveal a definitive answer. In this case the CC was victorious but certainly in some cases, even with a 2, there might be some enemy left in the hex. So if there is still enemy is an unarmed leader created? No leader created? We couldn't find an answer to this one.
The leader creation rules say whenever a MMC rolls a 2 in CC the result may be leader creation. An escaping prisoner MMC is a MMC. I would guess that if any guards survived the newly-created leader would be an escaping prisoner too and so required to attack its guard in any further CC rounds. But the fact that the leader is created is clear enough.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Most players I play leave the captured leader on-board with its guard rather than record its presence. I have never seen this be a source of confusion, although I admit that once-in-a-great-while it might be. BFP included captured leader counters in Poland in Flames. I prefer either of these two methods to removing the leader and recording it. They make clearer what the situation is.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
LFT had one of each prisoner leader in Operation Chariot as well.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Most players I play leave the captured leader on-board with its guard rather than record its presence.
This is also how I see it played most of the time.

As an aside, some players are rumored to use a captured leader have their kit carried to tournaments. So far I have not had reports on their having been forced to dig Foxholes on the premises, though. ;)

von Marwitz

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
As an aside, some players are rumored to use a captured leader have their kit carried to tournaments. So far I have not had reports on their having been forced to dig Foxholes on the premises, though. ;)

von Marwitz
I've heard that a few were used to clear the minefields and wire that guarded the hotel bar.