Prioritizing Hozan Storage - Suggestions Needed

WargameHQ

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know storage is ultimately a matter of personal preference. I've gone through a few iterations of storage in my time in this hobby going from straight Planos to coin envelopes and planos and even tried GMT style trays for a while.

So, I'm about to try another twist in this whole thing by picking up those Hozan 50 slot storage bins. (https://www.plazajapan.com/4962772010563/?setCurrencyId=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6ar4BRDnARIsAITGzlB1i_8xOvF5d-IdaGmQxUPGEvRYeLvgZIbxq30bDUf80NZL4I_B_c8aAgssEALw_wcB)

Since they're fairly expensive, but not RAACO expensive, I bought 7 of them. My initial thought was prioritizing storage as follows:
  1. Germans
  2. Russians
  3. Americans
  4. British
  5. Japanese
  6. French
  7. Axis & Allied Minors
The Chinese, Hungarians, Finns, and Korean War counters would all get separate storage for the time being using 32 compartment bead trays I found cheaply enough through JoAnn Fabrics.

So, I'm looking for guidance on:
  • Does this preference order make sense?
  • If folks have used this very method - can you even fit the German and American OOB into a single container or do they essentially take 2 containers of the Hozan?
  • Does the overall scenario coverage for these nationalities warrant their inclusion in this way like I think it does?
Thanks for your guidance!

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I organized my counters in Hozan containers.

The key decision you will wrestle with is how to sort the vehicles, and how much combining of vehicles and guns you want to do. What's nice about the Hozan containers is that you can move the trays to different containers, and if you don't like how you did something, it's pretty easy to reconfigure.

I was able to fit the Germans in one container. I have about 10 open spaces right now.

My Americans are in one container with plenty of room, but I haven't got to the Marines yet. I think I'll have enough space for them in the same container, but it will be close. Another option is to make a PTO container with Marines, Japanese, and Chinese.

British fit into one container with about 10 spaces open. They have a lot of different vehicles.

I have Axis Minors and Hungarians in one container. Not much extra room. I haven't gotten to Allied Minors. I'll probably put them with my Finns, or I'll wait until I do the Italians when Hollow Legions is reprinted.

Russians easily fit into one container.

Another thing to consider is how you do the system counters. I have one tray with counters I'll use in every game (prep, first+final fire, DM, pin), a tray with mostly vehicle system counters (bog, MA malf, TCA), one tray with acquisition, smoke, rubble, and one tray with system counters that are not used too often, such as night, bridge, skis, boats. It's not a perfect division and I didn't want to overthink it, but it works well enough.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Check out the Texas ASL download pages there are storage container suggestions there

WargameHQ

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've used that for Planos, but had no idea they had Hozan charts! Thanks for the tips. Mine just arrived today so this is perfect timing.

WargameHQ

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One question I do have for folks is if I include ~20 counters of each infantry type should that cover 90% of all scenarios? I know there are some massive scenarios, especially when it comes to HASL scenarios and campaigns...but for normal every day play is there a rough count of how many I might include for the sake of space? I'm used to Planos where you can fit far more than you need into an individual slot.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I've been using the 32-compartment bead containers (Darice https://www.amazon.com/Darice-Organizer-Spill-32COMP-13-7X8-6X1/dp/B001B0S2H6 ) for quite some time now for the nationalities. For the system counters I am still using the Plano 3701 that I have added additional dividers to, making them more dense.

For the nationalities, I went dense on the ordnance and vehicle bins, since they're only accessed pre-game. It's not like a T-34 reduces to a T-70 if it gets hit. I still have the French to punch, clip, and sort, but right now I'm looking at 10 nationality containers and about 4 system counters. I have not punched out the following: Forgotten War, Festung Budapest or Red Factories. FB and RF may cause me to have to go to a two container Russian setup; I currently have them in just one.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I've been using the 32-compartment bead containers (Darice https://www.amazon.com/Darice-Organizer-Spill-32COMP-13-7X8-6X1/dp/B001B0S2H6 ) for quite some time now for the nationalities. For the system counters I am still using the Plano 3701 that I have added additional dividers to, making them more dense.

For the nationalities, I went dense on the ordnance and vehicle bins, since they're only accessed pre-game. It's not like a T-34 reduces to a T-70 if it gets hit. I still have the French to punch, clip, and sort, but right now I'm looking at 10 nationality containers and about 4 system counters. I have not punched out the following: Forgotten War, Festung Budapest or Red Factories. FB and RF may cause me to have to go to a two container Russian setup; I currently have them in just one.
Hi,

I have a bunch of those 32-bin bead boxes too for several games, but I discovered them after using the 18-bin boxes for my ASL stuff. Right now most nationalities take up 3 boxes - 1 for infantry and 2 for vehicles. Thinking of switching ASL to the 32-bin boxes.

As I understand it, you are able fit each nation in 1 box? What do you put in the 2 little bins?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I know storage is ultimately a matter of personal preference. I've gone through a few iterations of storage in my time in this hobby going from straight Planos to coin envelopes and planos and even tried GMT style trays for a while.

So, I'm about to try another twist in this whole thing by picking up those Hozan 50 slot storage bins. (https://www.plazajapan.com/4962772010563/?setCurrencyId=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6ar4BRDnARIsAITGzlB1i_8xOvF5d-IdaGmQxUPGEvRYeLvgZIbxq30bDUf80NZL4I_B_c8aAgssEALw_wcB)

Since they're fairly expensive, but not RAACO expensive, I bought 7 of them. My initial thought was prioritizing storage as follows:
  1. Germans
  2. Russians
  3. Americans
  4. British
  5. Japanese
  6. French
  7. Axis & Allied Minors
The Chinese, Hungarians, Finns, and Korean War counters would all get separate storage for the time being using 32 compartment bead trays I found cheaply enough through JoAnn Fabrics.

So, I'm looking for guidance on:
  • Does this preference order make sense?
  • If folks have used this very method - can you even fit the German and American OOB into a single container or do they essentially take 2 containers of the Hozan?
  • Does the overall scenario coverage for these nationalities warrant their inclusion in this way like I think it does?
Thanks for your guidance!

You decided for Honzan, so that's that.

I found that the time to develop a storage system greatly eclipses the time required to decide on the hardware. Similar things can be said about making labels for your hardware and applying them.

That said, the countless ours I spent on it, I wished that someone had "done the complete thing and posted it somewhere". Wasn't the case. So I did it. You can find it here. By now with the publication of Forgotten War and Croix de Guerre (2nd Ed.) with the Free French/Vichy, I should make some adjustments but could not bring myself to do so - yet.

All the labels required (of course not Forgotten War and Free French / Vichy yet) can be found here. That link is a proof of concept in the form of a PDF, but the description you find under the link will point you to an (editable) Excel-File for download on the website of the Texas ASL club.

Despite your usage of Honzan, this stuff might trigger some ideas for your system and provides you with some food for thought that might save you some time when divising your system.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always thought the rule in AH's "Patton's Best" solitaire game was interesting where every German tank encountered was a Tiger until positively identified. I think every ATG was an 88' as well but it's been a while since I've delved into it.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I have a bunch of those 32-bin bead boxes too for several games, but I discovered them after using the 18-bin boxes for my ASL stuff. Right now most nationalities take up 3 boxes - 1 for infantry and 2 for vehicles. Thinking of switching ASL to the 32-bin boxes.

As I understand it, you are able fit each nation in 1 box? What do you put in the 2 little bins?

Sorry, haven't checked GS in a couple of weeks. If you PM me your email address, I will send you my file as to how I have things set up.

Cheers,

Mark