Primsole Bridge question

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Gents,

I am looking to play Primosole Bridge soon.

I was perusing the rules last night and have a question regarding the vineyards. The rules state
that a vehicle can claim WA over a vineyard. Sorry I don't have a rule #. (NRBH...I'm at
work). I am a bit confused because a vineyard is not a hexside terrain type. I believe it is
inherent (It is like an orchard except as stated otherwise).

Can someone explain how this should work. Does it mean that a vehicle can claim terrain
effect mod vs infantry in its own hex, and deny it to them. Or if a vehicle is in 1 hex (of any
type) and infantry are in an adjacent vineyard hex it can do this?

What am I missing? Am I the moron my wife is always telling me I am?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.
John

da priest

Reaction score
John Fedoriw said:
... The rules state
that a vehicle can claim WA over a vineyard. Sorry I don't have a rule #. ...

What am I missing? Am I the moron my wife is always telling me I am?...
Hmm..looked thru the rules don't see the WA thing anywhere.:confused:

As for your second question...well ya are Canadian, eh?...:cheeky:

ross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Fedoriw said:
Primosole Bridge...rules last night and have a question regarding the vineyards. The rules state
that a vehicle can claim WA over a vineyard. Sorry I don't have a rule #. (NRBH...I'm at work). I am a bit confused because a vineyard is not a hexside terrain type. I believe it is
inherent (It is like an orchard except as stated otherwise).
Actually, it's the Olive Groves that allow WA. Per PBr16, "All orchard hexes are olive grove hexes instead. All orchard rules apply except as stated otherwise. An olive grove has a +1 TEM...; vehicles may gain WA (B9.32) in an olive grove hex."

From B9.32 we read, "Wall Advantage (WA): A unit may claim WA over a same level wall/hedge hexside if it is an armed, unbroken ground level unit which is not: a vehicle eligible to receive in-hex TEM of ≥ 1 [EXC: Height Advantage (10.31)/Cactus Patch (14.7)/Olive Grove (14.8)]."

I think PBr16 is alluding to the exception stated in B9.32 regarding Olive Groves. A quick overview of the PBr map shows that only the N18/O17 hexside contains a wall next to an olive grove.

John Fedoriw said:
Can someone explain how this should work. Does it mean that a vehicle can claim terrain effect mod vs infantry in its own hex, and deny it to them. Or if a vehicle is in 1 hex (of any type) and infantry are in an adjacent vineyard hex it can do this?
I don't have time now to give any detailed answers, but see the examples listed in Chapter B9 for some help.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Neither do rule B 12.7, nor PBr15 speak of vineyards inerfering with WA.
Perhaps are you thinking of Olive Groves?
See rule B9.32 (extract) :
"Wall Advantage (WA): A unit may claim WA over a same level wall/hedge hexside if it is an armed, unbroken ground level unit which is not: a vehicle eligible to receive in-hex TEM of ≥ 1 [EXC: Height Advantage (10.31)/Cactus Patch (14.7)/Olive Grove (14.8)], in Column/Convoy, in a Fortified building possessing a Gun, on a bridge [EXC: over a Roadblock], in a pillbox/cave, beneath an entrenchment counter, above Wire/Panji or in a Location containing a non-hidden, non-prisoner enemy [EXC: "broken" vehicle (A12.1)] unit. "

Which is confirmed in rule PBr16.1 (extract) :
"... ; vehicles may gain WA (B9.32) in an olive grove hex."

The rule doesn't speak of WA over an Olive Grove, but of WA gain if a vehicle is in an Olive Grove, bordered by a wall/hedge hexside (the rule forbids a vehicle in woods to gain WA over a wall/hedge bordering its hex).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Well, that was a pretty bouble-barell shot ! :smoke:

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Primosole Bridge question

Hi Guys,

Yup it was olive groves not vineyards, thanks you cleared that up for me.

John