Primasole Bridge set up.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
set up on or adjacent to at least one Paved Road Hex in a building or fortification with ≤1 MMC per hex {EXC: See SSR I-8}: {SAN:2}

Does this mean all units must set up in a building or fortification adjacent to a paved road hex.
Or in a building or fortification or adjacent to a paved road hex.
Or in a building adjacent to a paved road hex or a fortification anywhere.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
OMG that is not clear.

Elements of the 372nd Coastal Defense Battalion of the 213th Coastal Defense Division of the Italian XVI Corps [ELR: PBr SSR 5] set up on or adjacent to at least one Paved Road Hex in a building or fortification with ≤ 1 MMC per hex.

Does that mean for each unit? Does each unit need to be adjacent to a paved road, or one unit of the OB?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Timely discussion or what, eh, Mike. :geek:

It makes more sense if you look at the map while trying to sus this out (along with the fact that these lads are well behind anything resembling a frontline).

First, the units must be adjacent to a road hex and in a fortification or building and with only one MMC per hex. So, yes,.. the entire force is deployed along the paved road and this makes more sense if the VCs are read closely.

With six fortifications and 10 MMCs the defenders can choose a number of potential areas to set up or make one very strong fortified location that the British need to clear. That said, some of the troops will need to be deployed inside the available buildings that are adjacent to the road.

Considering where reinforcements come from the initial deployment area(s) will likely be north of the river. A gutsy Italian may deploy some/almost all of his troops south of the bridge (near N24) but it is night and the British are elite paras.

Sooooooo,....

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Certainly not the designer or a playtester here but is seems as if all must be in a building or fortification adjacent to a paved road and may contain no more than a single MMC per hex (the addition of, or multiples of, SMC/SW/Vehicles/Guns do not seem to be limited).

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I also just read Initial Scenario Special Rule I-8 for CG I. It details hexes for the Autocarretta, pillboxes and trenches so the Italian player is fairly restricted in where he may set up. I-8 is the noted EXC listed in the set up of the initial axis OB.

Well now,... that was easy. :eek:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Guys, thanks for the sarcasm. Do you think i would have posted if there had been no dispute? Add to this, only 2 of the fortifications are clpse to a paved road so can be initially occupied. 4 others meer to remain clear.
Personally, I felt it was clear, everything in a building or fortification thst was adjacent to a paved road but my opponents disagreed.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Vinnie,... apologies if you thought I was making fun of the question, that wasn't the intent.

Coincidently I had just pulled this CG from my set and was looking at it last night when I saw your question and Mike's response. On my first read through I thought "what the …."

Once I looked closely at the map it began to make sense, especially after I-8 was folded into mix. My slowness in 'getting it' was probably the result of a long week and late Friday evening reading of the rules.

Thus the :eek:

Cheers.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I had problems persuading my opponents about this. 2 of the pillboxes and both trenches set up unoccupied, but it's a freaking airborne landing. The defenders are asleep when it starts.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Agreed. The wording of the sentence "...adjacent to at least one Paved Road Hex in a building or fortification,..." is the key to understanding the set up area.

The fortifications away from the road are unmanned.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, thanks for the sarcasm. Do you think i would have posted if there had been no dispute? Add to this, only 2 of the fortifications are clpse to a paved road so can be initially occupied. 4 others meer to remain clear.
Personally, I felt it was clear, everything in a building or fortification thst was adjacent to a paved road but my opponents disagreed.
No sarcasm intended. I was just putting my two cents in for what it's worth.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey I was just looking at Primasole Bridge when you posted your OP... and so I kept looking at it... and it looks pretty cool (and calls for quite a bit of think-ahead on the part of the Brits... at least in CG1). From your OP it looks like you're taking on CG1.... how are you handling the G2 airlanding units, in particular the Jeeps. Purchased G2 groups get note q a glider and a jeep. First these aren't purchased but OB given... but I just figured that's errata... it's an airlanding group there has to be a glider. The prob is as I see it the 228 crew, the 6pdr gun, the Jeep and the gun's ammo can't all fit in a single glider. If I'm not mistaken even without ammo (4pp) it doesn't all fit. (Isn't gun +crew + jeep 30pp?) Ignore this and just put it all on one glider? Or give two gliders to G2? (Because gliders create strategic locations I'm think looking the other way on the pp problem with the gliders is the way to go). Also, my read of the PBr rules on optional armament is the jeeps don't get AAMG. Sound right?

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
I think they fit in one Horsa II (29 pp). Gun is 10 pp, Jeep is 15pp, ammo and crew are free if they are passengers in the jeep (footnote 3 in the table for American Vehicle note 51).

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ammo and passengers are free!? I thought inherent crew/driver and MA ammo is free. This is the Gun's ammo not the Jeep's (which doesnt have an MA) ... but Gun plus Jeep plus Ammo is 29... so if somehow the 228 Gun crew is free (as a passenger? really?), then yeah it all does fit. EDIT Oh wow. Footnote 3. It makes sense on a boat where the issue is space... on a glider where the issue is weight... ehhhh well.... but rules is rules. So the jeep absorbs the gun's crew and maybe the ammo too! hell there's 9pp to spare!

Last edited:

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
It makes sense on a boat where the issue is space... on a glider where the issue is weight... ehhhh well.... but rules is rules.
Agree, not sure I would want to be riding in the Jeep on that glider......