Prep Fire Procedure

Roger R

Reaction score
Country
ll
I started playing Squad Leader with my best friend back in 1977 and after ignoring ASL with the thought of why should I pay out £40 just for a set of rules for a game I already owned.

Well I eventually succumbed, 15 years or so later and started to learn the new game with the same friend.

Then two weeks ago I played my first ever game face to face with someone else and I was rudley awakened.

To cut to the chase I was amazed at the way the Prep Fire was handled and was assured by my opponent that was way it was played by everyone else.

The way my buddy and I play it is that every stack that you wish to Prep Fire is marked with a Prep Fire counters and Bounding Fire markers before any resolution die rolls take place, not with targets designated but all intented firing units marked. This seemed more logical and realistic as units in real life would not see the results of others fire resolution before deciding to open up or not.

However the way my opponent played it was each unit in turn fired with PF counters being placed as units fired , similar to Defensive fire routine.

If this is the case then the use of bounding fire becomes very much utilised if at all.

What is the one true way and have My Buddy and me just increasing the tactical choices to be made. :?:

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm probably one of the last to answer, but (I believe that):

1) Your opponent is right.

2) Opportunity fire allows you to fire at Defenders that lost their concealment during MPh or DFPh. You can then fire at them with full firepower during the AFPh.

Edit: Changed bounding fire to opportunity fire.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is correct. There is no requirement to mark all your units with Prep Fire before you resolve an attack.

Bounding fire can be used to mark units for Opportunity fire in the Advancing Fire Phase - where if marked Opp fire / bounding fire they can fire at full strength.

Bounding fire can also be used to mark vehicles that use "Bounding Fire". :)

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Agreed.

btw, this should probably have been posted in the Rules sub-forum. The Perry Sez sub-forum is intended for posting Perry's answers to rules questions.

Roger R

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for the quick reply. the only troube now is the therapy I will need knowing I've been playing it wrong for the last 25 years.

Sorry for posting to the wrong Forum be gentle with me as it was first time. :oops:

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That's ok. You've been playing for 24 years longer than me.

Don't forget that there's VASL from www.vasl.org, and there's the ASL mailing list. Good resources to get you in touch with other players.

PS, Welcome to the forums.