Prep Fire marker removal.

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is a Prep Fire marker removed from a unit that breaks? If so, can that unit fire again later if it becomes Good Order again from HOB?

In a recent playing my Prep Fired squad broke during my opponent's Defensive Final Fire. My opponent fired a second shot at the broken squad, which rolled snakeyes and Battle Hardened and flipped back to the Good Order side.
In my Advancing Fire Phase I wondered if I could now take a shot with my now Good Order previously Prep Fired unit and I couldn't find a good answer in the rules.
I've always removed the Prep Fire counter if the unit breaks, and woe be to the enemy that riles them up by shooting at them again. :)

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
You can keep the Prep Fire counter on a unit that breaks or you can remove it - during Night it should be kept.

Regardless, it can't fire in the AFPh. if it later Battle Hardens.

A3.5:
3.5 ADVANCING FIRE PHASE (AFPh):
The ATTACKER’s units which did not fire in the PFPh or attempt to perform a task requiring TI status may fire at half FP (see C.4 for ordnance/vehicular fire) [EXC: FT/MOL/DC (22-23) and Opportunity Firers (7.25) attack at full strength]. Remove all Prep Fire and Bounding Fire counters at the end of this phase.

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the answers.
With all of the scenarios I've played I don't think this question has ever come up before.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have similar thoughts on removing Defensive Fire markers. I think they should be left until the end of the AFPh in case the ATTACKER's sniper is active. You may need the markers to remind you that a unit fired and thus can't make a sniper check.
Martin Vicca mentioned that tidbit a few years ago and I've been doing it ever since.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember mentioning it to someone from MMP or AH years ago and their reaction was yes, it makes sense, but they were not going to reissue Defensive Fire counters in a different color.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Just gotta say I hate the idea of leaving PF and DF counters on broken units, or past their normal removal time. Yuck.

I guess I see the point, but having to modify the normal removal method in 100% of the scenarios I play in order to accododate something that might happen less than 1% of the time is way too anal IMO.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a broken unit that had fired previously is attacked again and results in its Rally, I just put a fire counter back on that unit. Even at my decrepit age I'm USUALLY able to remember that that unit had fired previously. Large HASL CGs may task me a bit though so I play it by ear. "Yeah, I hear ya that he fired already! Can't believe THAT guy would have fired earlier, (mumbled) @#%$!":unsure:o_O:whistle::giggle:

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like to pretend ASL is an action adventure film and that stuff like firing way more that reality would allow is all part of the script.

Seriously, I rely on Just Remember, with backup from A.2.

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could have answered my own question if I had found this in the ASOP earlier. I've been removing Prep Fire counters too early, at the end of the Prep Fire Phase. The ASOP specifically says to keep them on. See below.

5.3 END OF AFPh:
5.31B Resolve Blaze Spread (B25.6; B25.651) every Player Turn after initial appearance.
5.32B Resolve Flame to Blaze Spread for each unpinned Flame (B25.15-.151).
5.33B Remove all Prep Fire, Intensive Fire, No Fire and Bounding Fire counters. If night scenario, also remove all First Fire, Final Fire and Gunflash counters (E1.8).

Last edited: