Precision Dice Required in Tournaments

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I prefer not to share the same dice during a game for practical reasons. Unlike most of the mathematical savants who populate ASL circles, I'm prone to forget whether I've scored a hull hit, or maintained (Conditional) ROF, among other things.

That said, I've been tempted--if only for a moment--to use the wonky dice and rolling idiosyncrasies of occasional opponents "against" them, by sharing their dice during a tourney scenario. So far, sanity has prevailed. Even if my opponent was consciously using unbalanced dice and/or sketchy rolling methods, I try to think of it as an undeclared balance provision in my opponent's favour. In the event that I do win the match, victory is that much sweeter.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Maybe I am being naive, but I really don't understand why opponents in a tournament match don't just agree before the game commences on a single, shared set of dice. At a stroke this would eliminate the perceived issue.
Each having their own dice has two advantages. First is speed. Second is leaving the dice in place while your opponent rolls his effects; this gives more time to see if rate or SAN applies.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I prefer not to share the same dice during a game for practical reasons. Unlike most of the mathematical savants who populate ASL circles, I'm prone to forget whether I've scored a hull hit, or maintained (Conditional) ROF, among other things.

That said, I've been tempted--if only for a moment--to use the wonky dice and rolling idiosyncrasies of occasional opponents "against" them, by sharing their dice during a tourney scenario. So far, sanity has prevailed. Even if my opponent was consciously using unbalanced dice and/or sketchy rolling methods, I try to think of it as an undeclared balance provision in my opponent's favour. In the event that I do win the match, victory is that much sweeter.

besides, I don't want your bad mojo all over my precision dice

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We don't need archeologists to tell is dice are unfair...and we even have the inklings that the VASL dice-bot is unfair...and I submit to you the advice my father gave me since about the age of 9..."life is unfair."

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We don't need archeologists to tell is dice are unfair...and we even have the inklings that the VASL dice-bot is unfair...and I submit to you the advice my father gave me since about the age of 9...."
....Don't let strangers shoot with their own dice. ;)

But gaming friends aren't strangers.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
If it's really an issue, have the TD supply the dice for the tournament (whether precision or not). Adjust the entry fee to cover the costs.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If it's really an issue, have the TD supply the dice for the tournament (whether precision or not). Adjust the entry fee to cover the costs.
Why should TD indulge the dice superstition of some others at the cost of all?

This would not be helpful at all, on the contrary. How long until we need 'trigger warnings' to the ASLRB?

von Marwitz

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Why should TD indulge the dice superstition of some others at the cost of all?
If you don't believe it's an issue, than don't do it at any of your tournaments. :) Frankly, I agree with you. Just pointing out that if any one group has a majority that is really torqued about it, there's an obvious solution.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is pretty much the only way to be sure.
There are other ways - please read these backgammon tourny rules:

3.6. Dice Selection
When four dice are used, one player should shake and roll all four dice onto the playing surface and then the players alternate (non-shaker first) to choose the dice for that game. At the request of either player, the dice shall be remixed and reselected in an identical manner only between games, with the player calling for the change doing the rolling, and subsequently giving his opponent first choice of dice.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
The Albany dice rule is simply this: "If someone does not use precision dice you can ask to share." Therefore, if you don't want to share, bring precision dice. Nobody is forced to buy or use precision dice...
Steve
I have no problem with Steve's rule and never heard of a problem in Albany. I hope to make it back there this year after my recovery has gone pretty well along with our recent move makes Albany just an hour away.

I have Battleschool Dice and a very cool Steve Pleva dice tower and anyone playing with me is more than welcome to use them.

I am very happy to share and satisfied with my stuff, never had a problem since purchasing them quite some time ago, they have given me both great and horrible results on both ends of the bell curve at all times and am looking forward to many more games with them, Vic.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Bizarrely, although they are precision, I feel that my Finnish set are terrible, rolling high while my German and Soviet medal sets are great rolling low. Complete bollocks but tgsts how I feel.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If there is any concern at a tournament, the tournament director should extensively test one die. All players will have to share this one die for all drs/DRs. The tournament director should have a rule for whether the first or second roll of the pair with this verified die is considered the colored dr for a DR. Then everyone can be sure the rolls are, if not fair, at least the same bias for everyone.

JR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Don't know why a TD wouldn't just invest in these. License the ASL logo, they make nice giveaways. And the sound of the popomatic action would drive a subliminal increase in popcorn sales.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 11942

Don't know why a TD wouldn't just invest in these. License the ASL logo, they make nice giveaways. And the sound of the popomatic action would drive a subliminal increase in popcorn sales.
That is not a precision die. I can get better randomization from a dice tower, glass or cup.