Precision Dice Required in Tournaments

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If the tournament is worried about its participants using fair dice, they should probably supply the dice themselves. Otherwise, who knows what loaded and/or faux precision dice the participants will bring.
This.

von Marwitz

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't understand why someone would want to risk playing an opponent who suspects one to cheat with dice...

von Marwitz
I don't know anyone who would intentionally cheat. I am certain that there are some folks playing with bad dice. They may roll high or low. I see no reason to risk either scenario so I acquired some precision dice. Seems like the polite thing to do for my opponent's sake...
Steve

NicosRex

Reaction score
First name
Nic
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Maybe I am being naive, but I really don't understand why opponents in a tournament match don't just agree before the game commences on a single, shared set of dice. At a stroke this would eliminate the perceived issue.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Maybe I am being naive, but I really don't understand why opponents in a tournament match don't just agree before the game commences on a single, shared set of dice. At a stroke this would eliminate the perceived issue.
Some people will shake hands upon greeting, others, typically germaphobes, will not shake hands. The same applies to dice but a small pack of disinfecting wipes should be available to clean the hands and dice to rid them of germs.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You can use any of my dice you like. You can switch whenever you like. We are not sharing.

JR

ineation

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Some people will shake hands upon greeting, others, typically germaphobes, will not shake hands.
Germs are not so bad and over use of antiseptic is wrong. So, in order to reinforce our immune system, I say that not only players should shake hands and share dice but tournament rules should also make it mandatory that they kiss each others before and after each scenario.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Germs are not so bad and over use of antiseptic is wrong. So, in order to reinforce our immune system, I say that not only players should shake hands and share dice but tournament rules should also make it mandatory that they kiss each others before and after each scenario.
Now this is just WRONG! Who knows what it coukd lead to, ASL players swapping partners, body fluids or even using the IIFT

NicosRex

Reaction score
First name
Nic
Country
llUnited Kingdom
As I have Mediterranean ancestry this proposal seems perfectly reasonable to me.

As I have an immune system that seems to work reasonably well, the idea of sharing dice holds no terrors for me. Having known a couple of people who suffer with an irrational fear of infection, I can understand that it could well be a serious issue for some. It should not be beyond the wit of man to come up with a fair solution for them though.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Lest you misunderstand me, I am not against sharing dice because I am afraid of germs. Some of my best friends are germs. It is incredibly annoying to have to hunt around on the gaming table to find where you put down the dice. I have lots of (precision) dice. If you want to use the set I'm using because they have "lucky ju-ju", here they are, knock yourself out. We're not sharing.

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In that sense, there's a certain merit to using 2 dicetowers and 2 sets of dice just so you see what you last threw (let's say you got RATE and then go do an MC).

Or do it like one of our Aussie players : throw 4 dice at once!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I could not used my BV 3rd edition dice?

The Albany dice rule is simply this: "If someone does not use precision dice you can ask to share." Therefore, if you don't want to share, bring precision dice. Nobody is forced to buy or use precision dice...
Steve

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I could not used my BV 3rd edition dice?
Sure, but if they are not precision your opponent could request to share them. That being said, I bet there are plenty of people who have extra precision dice that could loan you a pair if that was not to your liking...
Steve

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As long as people wash their chicken chokers, dont stick their fingers in their nose or mouth. I am more then happy to share my dice.

Sure, but if they are not precision your opponent could request to share them. That being said, I bet there are plenty of people who have extra precision dice that could loan you a pair if that was not to your liking...
Steve

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can use any of my dice you like. You can switch whenever you like. We are not sharing.

JR
That's more or less my position. But that's because I have the habit of rolling my dice around in my hand while the other player is thinking/moving/farting/whatever and I don't want to be constantly handing those dice to him.