Precision Dice Required in Tournaments

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Which is the crazy part...spending hundreds (thousands?) on a game...or...using $.10 dice to play.
Depends. If you have the money to spare AND have spent the money on the game, then skimping on the dice seems crazy. Of course, if you don't have the money to spare and have spent it on the game, well then that would be the crazy part. Around here, I would assume it's the skimping part, but I guess you never know for sure. -- jim

NicosRex

Reaction score
First name
Nic
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have never played in a tournament and have only returned to board games in general and ASL in particular in the last 6 months or so. I, and the people with whom I played, always took the view that it really didn’t matter what dice were used as long as everyone shared the same set. Dice towers didn’t even exist and most of the time we just rolled the AH dice onto the table out of an ancient backgammon cup.

This topic has been a real eye opener for me! I had no idea that plastic cubes with dots on their faces could be the cause of such heated debate.

Given the significant discretionary spend that I have already incurred on games in the last few months, and the size of my ever growing wish list, precision dice are definitely in the “nice to have but there’s really no rush” category.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have never played in a tournament and have only returned to board games in general and ASL in particular in the last 6 months or so. I, and the people with whom I played, always took the view that it really didn’t matter what dice were used as long as everyone shared the same set. Dice towers didn’t even exist and most of the time we just rolled the AH dice onto the table out of an ancient backgammon cup.

This topic has been a real eye opener for me! I had no idea that plastic cubes with dots on their faces could be the cause of such heated debate.

Given the significant discretionary spend that I have already incurred on games in the last few months, and the size of my ever growing wish list, precision dice are definitely in the “nice to have but there’s really no rush” category.
Heated how?

I don’t know if you realize, but ASL’rs on GS are well known for their mild mannered intellectual discourse.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't call it heated debate, it's mostly boredom and a lack of other first world problems . :) -- jim

[ Edited and restored by RandyT001. ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please keep politics out of the gaming threads.
I wouldn't call it heated debate, it's mostly boredom and a lack of other first world problems. :) -- jim
You mean like unofficially declaring war on Iran?

My bad

Last edited:

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Out of curiosity I pulled out my notes for the tourneys where i kept track of dice rolls, I don’t have all the notes as my notepad was not at every event. But, when totaled up the AH dice came to a whopping 755 boxcars and 434 snake eyes.
The battleschool dice totals were 341 boxcars and 327 snake eyes.
Take what you will from this.
Interesting. Thanks. Out of my own curiosity, what was the difference in your winning percentage between the old dice and the Battleschool dice?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting. Thanks. Out of my own curiosity, what was the difference in your winning percentage between the old dice and the Battleschool dice?
Didn‘t really track it, but I usually have a pretty good win %.
I‘ve won 2 ASLOKs with AH dice and 2 with Battleschool dice.
I can’t remember ever having a losing record at any event using either dice sets.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Not if you are a wrong bettor (I.e. play the dark side)...
Well, with craps, right-bettors and wrong-bettors don't mean too much as long as the bets are balanced on both sides. At least, as I understand it. -- jim

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Didn‘t really track it, but I usually have a pretty good win %.
I‘ve won 2 ASLOKs with AH dice and 2 with Battleschool dice.
I can’t remember ever having a losing record at any event using either dice sets.
Even more interesting!

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think people should share whole dice but I do think they should share pips.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I am implying that life is short, ASL is a game, wealth and fortune are not the stakes we play for, and to obsess about precision dice is a waste of quality time you could otherwise use to obsess over counter clipping.
I read you.

But why don't get the best of both worlds and obsess about both? ;)?

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
As you need two dice for ASL it’s $20 - and that’s just nuts for some dice.

Well, then this is a tough nut to crack for you...

Good thing about these:
If you throw them against the wall for not performing, it is the wall that's gonna break - not the dice.

von Marwitz