Precision Dice Required in Tournaments

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
To me, that still seems extreme.
I wouldn't say "extreme" but it is a little off-putting.

Say Joe Blow comes to the tournament with regular ol' dice and has a string of good rolls. His opponent, sensing that certainly something must be amiss because Joe's rolls haven't followed the bell curve, says, "Per tournament rule, I can roll your dice because you're not using precision dice." When Joe responds with a -- "What the hell?" -- he is, in my mind, responding appropriately.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I might consider moving to precision dice, but I have no desire for nationality/division/unit-specific sets and I wonder how people acquire a proper set of unique colors for RS rolls?

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I might consider moving to precision dice, but I have no desire for nationality/division/unit-specific sets and I wonder how people acquire a proper set of unique colors for RS rolls?
They are available in several sizes and a bunch of colors. Search 'precision backgammon dice' and you will get several sources.

Aside from being precision, they are also simply, nice quality dice to use.

Seth

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I get that, but they seem to inevitably be sold in pairs of matching colors, not individually like you can get regular ol' dice.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the tournament is worried about its participants using fair dice, they should probably supply the dice themselves. Otherwise, who knows what loaded and/or faux precision dice the participants will bring.
Now there's a good answer.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I went to buy some extra 1/2 inch cut corner precision dice for another game I play and the place I bought them no longer exists. I did a google search and came up blank. Does anyone know a supplier for these? I don't like the rounded corner backgammon dice.
This is the place I use. -- jim

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the tournament is worried about its participants using fair dice, they should probably supply the dice themselves. Otherwise, who knows what loaded and/or faux precision dice the participants will bring.
I'm not worried about anything happening. I just set the guidelines for the players to decide what to do. This is a giant to do about nothing. We've had no dice issues at Albany as far as I know...
Steve

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I'm not worried about anything happening. I just set the guidelines for the players to decide what to do. This is a giant to do about nothing. We've had no dice issues at Albany as far as I know...
Steve
Then why do you have the rule at all?

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then why do you have the rule at all?
If someone shows up with some POS set of dice then their opponent can ask to share. I've tested many dice and some have failed by a significant margin. I don't understand why someone would want to risk cheating their opponent or themselves by using suspect dice...
Steve

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Their precision dice are all ball-cornered. Square corners used to be easy to find even if not as common as ball-cornered. Now I can't find any. This isn't a problem for me as I stopped buying square-cornered. They tend to chip after a while.

JR
This took about 30 seconds to find. My Google-fu is strong. -- jim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This took about 30 seconds to find. My Google-fu is strong. -- jim
Sorry, I misspoke. I did find those, but they are 19mm. I use 12mm (½ inch), at least for ball corner. I haven't checked my square-corner dice but I think they were 12mm too.

JR

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, I misspoke. I did find those, but they are 19mm. I use 12mm (½ inch), at least for ball corner. I haven't checked my square-corner dice but I think they were 12mm too.

JR
yeah no problems finding 19mm cut corner dice but the 1/2 ones are basically non existent now. I’ve had no issues with them chipping but I don’t roll them in a glass.