Pre-HP! Winter War scenario updates - news and playtest recruiting

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
(updates continued from this earlier thread)

Greetings, Friends.

Our never-ending COVID nightmare made 2021 a difficult year for development, but nevertheless we've advanced. Completion of the first batch of four titles is in sight:
"The Borders Are Burning" (former A10, 123): submitted to MMP​
"On The Borderline" (former 124): second round playtest​
"Silent Death" (former A11): second round playtest; now a very, very different contest from the original
"Hakkaa Päälle!" (former G17): just back from a return to the drawing board with a new set of VC that make it a more suspenseful contest

The playtest team has not only done excellent work putting each design through its paces, they have also contributed numerous improvements. Grateful to have these volunteers returning to help push the remaining three scenarios over the line, and will appreciate additional volunteer assistance. Please contact me offline if interested.

Be well. Hyvää joulua!

Note: Scenarios that have credited authors are not being updated

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Need a hand - is there anyone in the community who has a Cyrillic keyboard or input functionality to help with a source document that cannot be read by OCR? Appreciate any help or introductions.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Need a hand - is there anyone in the community who has a Cyrillic keyboard or input functionality to help with a source document that cannot be read by OCR? Appreciate any help or introductions.
I would wager that Ray Woloszyn might be able to help. I am pretty sure he can understand/read Russian and thus might also know the tricks/means to get you where you want. He is active in this forum as @Ray Woloszyn.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I would wager that Ray Woloszyn might be able to help. I am pretty sure he can understand/read Russian and thus might also know the tricks/means to get you where you want. He is active in this forum as @Ray Woloszyn.

von Marwitz
I believe that you are correct regarding Ray. I think he worked somewhere in Eastern Europe for a while. Good recommendation.

Plus he won the first Oktoberfest!

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Much appreciated! Message out to Ray.

This weekend on VASL there will be matches featuring both "On The Borderline" and "Hakkaa Päälle!" Do not expect them to closely resemble their forbears.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I speak russian and have a Cyrillic keybaord. Actually in moscow right now but hope to be home within several days, then i could help.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I speak russian and have a Cyrillic keybaord. Actually in moscow right now but hope to be home within several days, then i could help.
Thanks for volunteering! Help has already been found, but if more is needed we'll know where to look!

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
We've made a lot of progress in four months.

Urgent Playtest Recruiting Call:
"Hakkaa Päälle!" is near completion but still has weaknesses that need to be fully understood. Time has been set aside to focus intensively on it between now and Sunday, 8 May. At the end of this effort we'll determine if it is ready for prime time, or needs more time. Please contact me off line if you would like to contribute to the playtest effort.

Elsewhere, "On The Borderline" continues to mature into a much more historically accurate and enjoyable scenario. "Silent Death" is further down the line in development priority, but will get its turn for more attention.

A fifth update has been added. Made new friends while viewing a recent playing of the old A54, "The Raate Road," and it did not take long to see that the situation had unrealized potential. The original has many of
the same troubles as other titles – misidentified units, incorrect equipment and wrong dates, but in this case at least the location is correct. The new design features very gnarly woods, more tanks, fighting on ice, MG plunging fire and a rare appearance for Finnish ordnance this far north, all on a slimmed down map in six turns.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perry Cocke mentioned on another thread that Hakkaa Paalle is up for reprint within 6 - 8 weeks {he actually said 'next month', but I allow for friction}.
Are these scenarios going to be included in the reprint?

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Perry Cocke mentioned on another thread that Hakkaa Paalle is up for reprint within 6 - 8 weeks {he actually said 'next month', but I allow for friction}.
Are these scenarios going to be included in the reprint?
Perry is on record on ConSim saying that the module is a straight-up reprint. Take him at his word.

"The Borders Are Burning" (former A10, 123) has been submitted to MMP for inclusion in Journal 13. "Hakkaa Päälle!" (former G17) may also be included if we can increase our confidence that its weaknesses have been rectified. These scenarios are bookends for the fighting in front of the city of Kuhmo, so it would be wonderful to have them published together, but we will print no scenario before its time.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Perry is on record on ConSim saying that the module is a straight-up reprint. Take him at his word.

"The Borders Are Burning" (former A10, 123) has been submitted to MMP for inclusion in Journal 13. "Hakkaa Päälle!" (former G17) may also be included if we can increase our confidence that its weaknesses have been rectified. These scenarios are bookends for the fighting in front of the city of Kuhmo, so it would be wonderful to have them published together, but we will print no scenario before its time.

View attachment 21383
Lol well the cheap stuff is fine by me but who am I dispute the vintner? I'm sure when it is it's time it will taste great!😋😋😋