Powers and Perils

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Anyone else play the magnificent Power & Perils game by AH... i was recently googling the net and found a site that has the whole set of rules books up online as well as programs for the difficult task of character design!

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
On the surface, the thread title said "yawn another bloody d20 spin off, when will it end?".

But I did a search on google as well, and discovered this game is circa 1983, so well ahead of the current glut of spin off insanity.

That said, I am doubtful my local mob would entertain a game design that was at the time about the same as original basic D&D.

Might be a fine game, but you would probably get the same reaction trying to excite wargamers with Tactics II or Blitzkrieg. Both are fine games, but definitely a problem of being perceived as yesterday's news.

This title too, likely will not go farther than a copy of Basic D&D would.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Aries said:
That said, I am doubtful my local mob would entertain a game design that was at the time about the same as original basic D&D.
I have no interest in getting anyone to play it... i have no interest in playing it anymore myself... i stopped non-PC RPGing about 20 years ago...

But i get nostalgic when i think of the long nights i used to have with my mates (and a few long-necks of Cooper's Ale) playing P&P. It was a sound game and certainly nothing like D&D due to the immense complexity of the rules - i had a blast with it!

I have often looked through other rule systems and i dont think i have found another RPG that i would consider as interesting as this one... mainly due to it's complexity giving it a very 'realistic' feel. But i totally understand that it is each to their own...

I really was just wondering if there were any other old (or even new) P&P players out there!

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ahhh.

Yeah I have played some designs, thought they were great because they were simple, in some cases thought some were great because they were so detailed.

Best game I have lived to see, the Alternity design.

Best game for not following the 6 stats concept, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

Best game for allowing the maximum detail, Rolemaster.

I have only bought one game that I was all over wanting to play, ran it for about a year, and realised, in the end, I had bought a turkey. The Saga system (uses cards not dice). Nice idea, simply doesn't work.

Most people know Dungeons and Dragons in some form. I think that's the only reason it does so well. It's not really the best in design, but there is soooo much of it.

Most personal nostalgic game though for me, is Time Tripper. Stupid little game, that my buddy bought, just as rolegaming was beginning. A handful of early teens, gathering to game. Buddy decided the game needed "more", so he started to "fiddle" with it. Man the fun I had with that much over fussed with game hehe.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Man... so i was wrong in the above post.
It is a number of years later and i have got a Campaign of this going on right now.

The biggest problem with the system was the incredible complexity of character design, but once the paper-work was done this became easily (IMHO) the best Fantasy RPG out there.
To ease the PC design for my players i made an Excel Spreadsheet with VBA. Version 1 does the basics, Version 2 (about 70% complete) will do everything except purchases of equipment.

Seriously... take a look at this RPG (it is free now that it is up on the web) if you are sick of the "enter a room of Orcs, kill them, find 100 Gold and a +1 Longsword" mentality.

http://daiju.com.au/PandP/PandP.htm