Post Korean War ASL from MMP

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
FTE's scale is 50 meters (close to ASL's 40) with turns that portray five minutes instead of two. It might be a really good game, but I'm easily turned off by a top-down game that uses side depictions of vehicle art. Beer and pretzels anyone? In no way, shape or form does it excite me like Squad Leader did when I first laid eyes on that decades ago. Historical board games are fueled by a players imagination, so take another long look at FTE's attempt at sweeping us all off our proverbial feet.

IMO, they never even tried...

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FTE's scale is 50 meters (close to ASL's 40) with turns that portray five minutes instead of two. It might be a really good game, but I'm easily turned off by a top-down game that uses side depictions of vehicle art. Beer and pretzels anyone? In no way, shape or form does it excite me like Squad Leader did when I first laid eyes on that decades ago. Historical board games are fueled by a players imagination, so take another long look at FTE's attempt at sweeping us all off our proverbial feet.

IMO, they never even tried...
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who is put off by vehicle side views on counters. To me it just looks wrong.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Huh? If you pick any corner and call that the CA, it's unambiguous. You don't need a overhead picture to call the bottom-right (or any other corner) the CA.

JR
True, but an upside down tank just looks odd when spun to indicate CA based on any corner of the counter.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have ordered FTE. I hope it reaches the order number. I'd like to see ASL move to the post WWII era beyond Korea.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I would much prefer to see the focus on the long-WW2 period, i.e. Mid-30s to late 40s, maintained. The appeal of subsequent conflicts pales by n comparison.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I would much prefer to see the focus on the long-WW2 period, i.e. Mid-30s to late 40s, maintained. The appeal of subsequent conflicts pales by n comparison.
Just to clarify that's your opinion and not a reflection of everyone's. My opinion is exactly the opposite - no desire for China 1930s scens, Spanish-Civil War, Philippines, South America - no interest in it whatsoever. Korea, Vietnam, Arab-Israeli Wars, Falklands, Gulf War I - much more interested.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chaco War campaign game.

JR
The problem with the Chaco War as a source for scenarios, is that it seems that battles all revolved around fixed defenses. Which, in ASL, isn't really fun for the defender.
Set up.
Shoot at the attacker.
Pray your defense holds.
I have 5(?) books on the Chaco War and as interesting of a conflict as it was, it really wasn't a war of manuever.
jmho of course.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The problem with the Chaco War as a source for scenarios, is that it seems that battles all revolved around fixed defenses. Which, in ASL, isn't really fun for the defender.
Set up.
Shoot at the attacker.
Pray your defense holds.
I have 5(?) books on the Chaco War and as interesting of a conflict as it was, it really wasn't a war of manuever.
jmho of course.
So, like KGS?

JR