Post Korean War ASL from MMP

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I'm thoroughly confused. Who's doing Medieval ASL, why wasn't it on preorder last Saturday and which idiot gave Hussite war wagons a circled R?
I think a thorough rewrite of the hand-to-hand rules might be necessary for this. What are the ranges of swords and lances, "0"?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will help with an eASLRB, but not with non-WW2 ASL (actually won't help with much WW2 ASL either as 99% of my game time is devoted to playtesting and design and development already).
I think a thorough rewrite of the hand-to-hand rules might be necessary for this. What are the ranges of swords and lances, "0"?
Silesian Lancers have to have an extended range of 1.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Be interested in having a look, lots of interesting subjects, just a bit over big city fights.
I agree, but the trouble is that urban fighting lends itself so well to a historical map with an area that was fought over for days, that will still fit on a gaming table. More difficult to find other places where the same was true; obviously not impossible or even relatively hard (Suicide Creek is a jungle, Kakazu Ridge is a hill, Gavutu-Tanambogo is an island, etc.). But still a challenge. Trying to think of Canadian subjects for HASL; Op VERITABLE did well to have it in open farmland and Casa Berardi avoided town fighting, all the others that have been done (by TPP) seem urban in nature - Ortona, Buron, borderline is Crossing the Moro whose centerpiece is Villa Rogatti.

The Korean module may yield some excellent non-urban HASL given the mostly rural nature of the entire country.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Hmm... Non urban open terrain, what does that bring to mind? I'll give you a hint, it gets really hot there. :)
For an HASL, though.... It was the one theatre where the Germans had enough trucks for their units. It was mobile warfare with the obvious exceptions - the siege of Tobruk comes to mind. Were there really places in the desert (I mean, specific localities that would fit on an ASL map) that got fought over for days (or weeks) at a time?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bir Hacheim has promise. The fortress was apparently (according to WP) 4 km × 5 km wide. About 100 hexes x 125 hexes. Would be big, unless you scaled it (a minor change to 50 metres per hex would reduce the map to 80 hexes x 100 hexes) or just concentrated on one part of it.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Were there really places in the desert (I mean, specific localities that would fit on an ASL map) that got fought over for days (or weeks) at a time?
Ruweisat ridge? Some other portion of el Alamein? I believe that CH did a Ruweisat ridge module. (I'm pretty ignorant about my history, though.)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ruweisat ridge? Some other portion of el Alamein? I believe that CH did a Ruweisat ridge module. (I'm pretty ignorant about my history, though.)
Me too, which is why I ask. RR was a TPP module. I thought of El Alamein, but don't know if the fighting actually took place around the rail station for long, or if the name just lends itself to the overall actions, which of course involved entire corps.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Bir Hacheim has promise. The fortress was apparently (according to WP) 4 km × 5 km wide. About 100 hexes x 125 hexes. Would be big, unless you scaled it (a minor change to 50 metres per hex would reduce the map to 80 hexes x 100 hexes) or just concentrated on one part of it.

It does offer a lot: Free French, Commonwealth troops, Afrika Korps, Italian armor, . . . . . . .

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For an HASL, though.... It was the one theatre where the Germans had enough trucks for their units. It was mobile warfare with the obvious exceptions - the siege of Tobruk comes to mind. Were there really places in the desert (I mean, specific localities that would fit on an ASL map) that got fought over for days (or weeks) at a time?
What about Fort Capuzzo? It was fought over several times.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Besides there is nothing that says it needs to last a long time. A day or two is enough of a time frame for several consecutive ASL type scenarios.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The hills around Tripoli saw some extended action fought in the same localities. Though many of the engagements were relatively short in nature, the same ground was fought over several times. Perhaps not a campaign game in the sense they have been offered previously, but an HASL map supporting various engagements, "mini CGs" if you will, fought in the same environment.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Why limit it to just one? Doing several would give the sense of the back and forth that was part of the war in North Africa.
I don't think there were any multi-day fights at Capuzzo, and in most of the exchanges it was abandoned without a fight. That's my understanding. You might get a couple scenarios which you could put together as an action pack or similar, but it's hard to see a CG with 300+ idle days between dates.

JR