M-48's
Israeli super Shermans
T-10m's
Centurions
Infantry (and AFV's) with night vision equipment
Attack helicopters
ATGM'S......

The best ASL news I've heard in years.
As for the 'diversion of resources ' from a WWII project, I would rather see an MMP module of ANYTHING from the Arab-Israeli or Vietnam conflict than yet another version of Stalingrad.
Nor another '17 years of development ' for something like Ponyri.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
I sure do wish they'd publish an eASLRB. More than any other product that's what I'd like to see. And while I rarely buy new ASL stuff, I will shell out mighty dollars for an eASLRB that is up to date, kept up to date, portable, and can be notated. PLEASE, PLEASE publish an eASLRB.
Ditto.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ahem, <cough>, does anyone here notice that the game is called Advanced Squad Leader, not WW2 ASL? :D
Waiting for someone to want Advanced Fire Team Leader in its stead.

Sounds like 2017 could be the great schism.

We'll have our:

Orthodox Squad Leader players
Orthodox ASL players
Protestant ASL players
new age tree hugging ASL hippies
Modern ASL reformists
and
ASL Terrorists

Last edited:

jpellam

Kamikaze Landing Gear
Reaction score
Waiting for someone to want Advanced Fire Team Leader in its stead.

Sounds like 2017 could be the great schism.

We'll have our:

Orthodox Squad Leader players
Orthodox ASL players
Protestant ASL players
new age tree hugging ASL hippies
Modern ASL reformists
and
ASL Terrorists

I vote this post the most reasoned, humorous and non doom and gloom so far.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
ASL Fake Newsers.

I'd forgotten about that ASL group. Last years finals were between Sean Spicer and Kelly Ann Conway. Neither agreed to the final result and the neutral umpire said both lost due to blatant ignorance of even the ASL RB, never mind the rules.

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
If you are interested in a Vietnam War tactical level combat game from MMP, you should have a look at Front Toward Enemy. It is not ASL, but it seems to have everything in it a game about the war in Vietnam should have and what ASL has not included like tunnels, civilians, or rice caches.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
If you are interested in a Vietnam War tactical level combat game from MMP, you should have a look at Front Toward Enemy. It is not ASL, but it seems to have everything in it a game about the war in Vietnam should have and what ASL has not included like tunnels, civilians, or rice caches.
Search & Destroy by SPI is still available on the used game market and was highly regarded in its day. For some reason, FTE has not reached its preorder, or at least, hadn't last time I checked - and it's been on preorder a while now.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Maybe because fewer people care about the Resistance War Against America than do about WW2?
Maybe because it's an untested game system on the same scale as other proven games. I have Search & Destroy on my shelf already, ditto Grunt, both by SPI. Also Firepower, which is man to man, and Lock N' Load's Vietnam treatment, also squad-based, company level. FTE would have trouble competing with LNL alone - though a true Vietnam fan would not unreasonably buy more than one game system til he found one he likes.

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Uhh ... Search & Destroy is from 1975. Is it still available?

Personally I don't like the LnL stuff.

I hadn't expect that it takes so long for FTE to reach the P#. I wounder if MMP had created a Vietnam module for ASL instead of FTE, whether this module had reached the P# long ago or not. I think this hypothetical module would have reach the P# like the Korea module had. I wish the players would give FTE a try. It's not that expensive ... and ... hey ... it's a squad level war game in Nam.

I heared an interview with the designer. The game is under his development for years, as I understood him. The interviewers were play testers themselves and they said that the game is a blast. So, what I heared I wouldn't say that FTE isn't play tested enough.