Post Korean War ASL from MMP

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think there were any multi-day fights at Capuzzo, and in most of the exchanges it was abandoned without a fight. That's my understanding. You might get a couple scenarios which you could put together as an action pack or similar, but it's hard to see a CG with 300+ idle days between dates.

JR
Why? The fort changing hands so many times is pretty much the story of the war in North Africa. There were several that lasted more than a day.

Flarvin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think there were any multi-day fights at Capuzzo, and in most of the exchanges it was abandoned without a fight. That's my understanding. You might get a couple scenarios which you could put together as an action pack or similar, but it's hard to see a CG with 300+ idle days between dates.

JR
I really don't see why a CG has to be fixed to a single location. Maybe a CG fixed on a couple units engaged over a period of time. Or use of a strategic map which both sides use to move elements of their forces.

I like variety, which is why I love ASL. So I would like to see different types of CGs.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I really don't see why a CG has to be fixed to a single location. Maybe a CG fixed on a couple units engaged over a period of time. Or use of a strategic map which both sides use to move elements of their forces.

I like variety, which is why I love ASL. So I would like to see different types of CGs.

That would be a linked-scenario CG, similar to HOB's Operation Merkur or Lone Canuck's Blitzkreig in the West. A little different than a standard CG.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Why? The fort changing hands so many times is pretty much the story of the war in North Africa. There were several that lasted more than a day.

Bob:

Kinda hard to think up the proper victory conditions for a campaign game that occurs over this length of time. Also the way the war in North Africa ebbed and flowed, I'm not sure how you'd set the basis for any victory conditions for the overall CG.

That being said, you could develop a scenario pack revolving around the battles for Fort Capuzzo on a HASL-type map. That would be something sorta new (most HASLs do have stand alone scenarios).

Cheers,

Mark

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob:

Kinda hard to think up the proper victory conditions for a campaign game that occurs over this length of time. Also the way the war in North Africa ebbed and flowed, I'm not sure how you'd set the basis for any victory conditions for the overall CG.

That being said, you could develop a scenario pack revolving around the battles for Fort Capuzzo on a HASL-type map. That would be something sorta new (most HASLs do have stand alone scenarios).

Cheers,

Mark
I would imagine that victory would require a certain accumulation of points over time.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That would be a linked-scenario CG, similar to ... Lone Canuck's Blitzkreig in the West. A little different than a standard CG.
I was a playtester on Blitzkrieg in the West and would highly recommend it to others. But it really doesn't have a campaign feel. Each scenario depicts different forces and there is no carryover from scenario to scenario. They're not 'linked' so much as 'associated' with each other only in that the VP/VC result you get in one has the ability to alter the force composition of the next in a minor way. George's scenarios are always well designed so it's a pleasure to play each one on its merits, but there is little sense of playing a 'campaign.'

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was a playtester on Blitzkrieg in the West and would highly recommend it to others. But it really doesn't have a campaign feel. Each scenario depicts different forces and there is no carryover from scenario to scenario. They're not 'linked' so much as 'associated' with each other only in that the VP/VC result you get in one has the ability to alter the force composition of the next in a minor way. George's scenarios are always well designed so it's a pleasure to play each one on its merits, but there is little sense of playing a 'campaign.'
That really is more a matter of perspective.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Beda Fomm, already mentioned Bir Hacheim and Longstop Hill; Dologordoc, all could (or are) being worked on in some kind of CG format.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lack of persistent forces, map damage, etc., is more of a matter of fact... :)
It depends on how you want to define of campaign. It would be sort of like a survey class in college. It does not provide an in depth look at a specific battle but it would give the feeling of the give and take of the entire North African Campaign. That gestalt of the war in North Africa would not be possible in any other way.

Flarvin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking of CG scenarios that were linked more. Where some of the same forces are used in each of the scenarios.

One version could be like one side has to a take series of objects, which each being 1+ scenarios. Defender has to determine how he will defend the objects with his units. The attacker would decide when to commit his units in taking the objectives. Each unit could be limited to a single objective, or used in taking following objects.

Another version could have a simple strategic map with connected locations. Players move their units around the map and engage in scenarios when both sides occupy the same location.

Played both versions in Starfleet Battles. Just ideas on how to expand the possibilities for CGs. If I had the attention spanned, I would do test on how they may work.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One could argue that any scenarios from 9/1/39 until 12/7/41 should not be included either. Up until then, things were merely another European conflict.
No, one couldn't, and no, things weren't, as even an elementary understanding of WW2 would reveal.

And the Chinese might take some umbrage with your dating conventions since they fought the Japanese continually since mid-1937.
My "dating conventions" never excluded the Sino-Japanese War in the first place, so the "Chinese" need take no "umbrage."

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are we talking about that place where all the swallows return every year? I don't think the axis ever fought over that place.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking of CG scenarios that were linked more. Where some of the same forces are used in each of the scenarios.

One version could be like one side has to a take series of objects, which each being 1+ scenarios. Defender has to determine how he will defend the objects with his units. The attacker would decide when to commit his units in taking the objectives. Each unit could be limited to a single objective, or used in taking following objects.

Another version could have a simple strategic map with connected locations. Players move their units around the map and engage in scenarios when both sides occupy the same location.

Played both versions in Starfleet Battles. Just ideas on how to expand the possibilities for CGs. If I had the attention spanned, I would do test on how they may work.
I envision a type of CG wherein one map is fought over and possessed at different times by both sides. As I said before this shows the back and forth of the fighting in North Africa.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I envision a type of CG wherein one map is fought over and possessed at different times by both sides. As I said before this shows the back and forth of the fighting in North Africa.
I think you need to move this chat to another thread Bob. It jams the theme here. IMHO.