Post Korean War ASL from MMP

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From ConsimWorld, posted by Brian Youse:
WANTED
Folks,

As Korea's module is getting wrapped up we're ready to spend some effort on moving to post-Korean War ASL.

SO if you're interested in helping with this effort we're forming a group to discuss and rough out some rules, etc. Once we're happy with what's lined up we'll need some scenario designers and map makers, of course.

Drop me an email if seriously interest in contributing.​

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I sure do wish they'd publish an eASLRB. More than any other product that's what I'd like to see. And while I rarely buy new ASL stuff, I will shell out mighty dollars for an eASLRB that is up to date, kept up to date, portable, and can be notated. PLEASE, PLEASE publish an eASLRB.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
What are they going to do? Join forces with the MASL group? (presuming that is still intact).

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Arab-Israeli War of 1948. I know, its not post-Korea, but I wonder if it could work.

But if this is no good, my vote is Plan 1919 so we have a module with all hypothetical scenarios. Heads would explode.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Either direction they want to go would be doable and welcomed by a smaller section of our hobby. I certainly had fun with the LFT treatment of the Russian Civil War in the Far East, at least the few of those scenarios I played. Going to an earlier period would certainly be easier I would think as most of the actions would involve fewer armored vehicles and specialty type weapons. Going to the more modern engagements may require re-working the vehicle aspect of the game to more accurately reflect engagement times (perhaps a % of MP for the "J" DRMs as opposed to to a fixed MP expenditure and a reworking of the Case A & C modifiers somewhat to reflect better engagement systems). Also the enhanced lethality of weapon systems and explosives may have to be accounted for not to mention the increased FP of an average infantry squad. Whatever direction they wish to progress too, there will be a segment of the hobby that is going to like it and a segment that will resist it. I for one would hope the game is dynamic enough to accommodate both endeavors.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'd rather they went the other direction: Pre-WWII. i.e. Spanish Civil War and Ethiopia.

Modern wars means more rules to handle modern weapons. I'm about "ruled" out at this point.

I'd rather they stayed where they were - focused on WWII.

I agree that some people will applaud ASL being developed further either to the pre- or post-WWII era or both. Hard to tell, how large the group(s) is/are. Without doubt, not everyone will be on that train, though.

What concerns me a bit is how MMP will handle 'core' components in regard to this:

Provided, that I am in the camp that Korea, whatever after, the Spanish Civil war does not much interest me for purposes of ASL, would I have to buy the modules to keep up to date with regard to rules, boards, etc.?

Would someone who takes an interest in Spanish Civil war or post Korea stuff have to buy all the components of an era he might not be interested in? I.e. if you don't care about WW2 and want a hypothetical 'Vietnam' module, where would you get your Prep Fire and DM counters from? Would you have to buy BV3?

What I believe we don't need is further interdependencies that involve other eras. It makes it an ever greater pain to 'maintain' the system or to catch up with it when you enter the hobby. ASL is already vast only covering WWII. IMHO, MMP should make a cut somewhere.

There is a conceivable way to get the best of both worlds, I believe. This would be moving away from 'modules' that combine counters, some rules, some scenarios, and some maps in a box. Rather MMP would need to shift to a system of 'components', i.e. sell boards, nationality-countersheets, scenario packs, and rules covering non-WWII era independently while still maintaining the overall compatibility of the ASL system.

That way, the 'Vietnam/Korea' guys could get their stuff without having to buy BV3 et al. for system counters. The WWII bunch could just buy the boards that come with 'Vietnam' (or are intended for it but might serve WWII PTO just as well) and skip the helo-rules & counters.

I preordered KWASL mainly, because it is 'part of the system' and it includes some boards and rules that may possibly see use in WWII scenario designs and not because I am interested in Korea-wargaming. I saw it sort of as a terminus of WWII rather than the starting point of post WWII era publications: Eh, Korea... Well, aaaall right. You could see it as a WWII afterthought. So you take it because then you are done with it although it is not really part of your focus.

So, as a bottom line, I am not saying that MMP should not extend the ASL scope. But I believe they should draw in boundaries that keep different eras independent of each other with regard to components.

von Marwitz

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a quick word to assure you that we will not be ignoring WWII.
And we are already working on Ethiopia, with a Soldiers of the Negus to come in Hollow Legions, and we are actively working on SCW.

Other than Korea (and possible expansions there on), we do not yet have any plans for post-WWII, so we are looking to start planning in that area.

andrea pagni

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I think that arab Israeli wars before the 1973 one could be relatively easy, much more than Vietnam one, and very very interesting :)

but truth is that I will get whatever one you will publish

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
From ConsimWorld, posted by Brian Youse:
WANTED
Folks,

As Korea's module is getting wrapped up we're ready to spend some effort on moving to post-Korean War ASL.

SO if you're interested in helping with this effort we're forming a group to discuss and rough out some rules, etc. Once we're happy with what's lined up we'll need some scenario designers and map makers, of course.

Drop me an email if seriously interest in contributing.​
Can someone post the email address here? Makes it hard to contact without it.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a quick word to assure you that we will not be ignoring WWII.
And we are already working on Ethiopia, with a Soldiers of the Negus to come in Hollow Legions, and we are actively working on SCW.

Other than Korea (and possible expansions there on), we do not yet have any plans for post-WWII, so we are looking to start planning in that area.
Soldiers of the Negus is not World War II. Spanish Civil War is not World War II. Korea is not World War II. Anything past that is DEFINITELY not World War II.

The more you do non-World War II stuff, the more you abandon your core audience.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The more you do non-World War II stuff, the more you abandon your core audience.
Only if your core audience is players who are interested in World War Two but are actively disinterested in anything else. Perhaps they see their core audience as players who are interested in WWII and may be interested in other actions as well.

JR

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only if your core audience is players who are interested in World War Two but are actively disinterested in anything else. Perhaps they see their core audience as players who are interested in WWII and may be interested in other actions as well.

JR
Untrue. Anyone who is even primarily interested in ASL for WW2 is ill-served by this.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that neither of those is WW2. But the history of both interests me, and can be modeled within the ASL framework.
Sign me up.
Just because something can be modeled within the ASL framework does NOT mean that *MMP* should be doing the modeling. Especially for subjects outside the broad WW2 era (roughly 1931-1954).