Possession of a Gun.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This may seem elementary, but is a Gun like a support weapon in that you possess a Gun like a SW? Or is it simply in the same hex? I think that you possess a Gun, but is it automatic unlike a SW? I ask because Don has just captured a 37L after close combat with its crew and it is Adjacent in the woods to a growing Blaze! I want to know if has to roll to pick it up just like a support weapon. Tim

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
As per HKWer, possession of a Gun works the same way as SW possession. Even your CC situation leaves the enemy victor the need to recover (A4.4) the Gun in either his MPh or the RPh.

And note that that same enemy (if a crew) could not use the Gun's Gunshield/Emplacement (if it has any) until it gained possession of it.

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am probably wrong, but can a regular infantry half squad get protection from a gun shield?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I am probably wrong, but can a regular infantry half squad get protection from a gun shield?
Looks like you are correct that C11.5 calls out a crew only as getting benefit of a gunshield, and not other infantry. "Other Infantry in the same hex, even if serving as an ad hoc crew, receive no benefit from the gunshield."

This is different than emplacement TEM which is called out as not applying to a full squad. C11.2

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Can a Full Squad possess a GUN in a 1+5+7 pillbox?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can a 1+5+7 pillbox contain a crew posessing a Gun and a half squad? how about a crew, a hs, and an un-possessed Gun?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Can a 1+5+7 pillbox contain a crew posessing a Gun and a half squad? how about a crew, a hs, and an un-possessed Gun?
No. Yes. If you need a spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down, the extra space used when the gun is possessed is used for the recoil and so that the manning infantry have sufficient space to do their jobs. Next I will give my rendition of "My Favorite Rules" from my upcoming CD release, "The Sound of ASL."

JR

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there any limitation to the size of a Gun in a pillbox akin to no large size Guns in a building? Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Is there any limitation to the size of a Gun in a pillbox akin to no large size Guns in a building? Tim
No. As a historical matter pillboxes are probably built around the gun they contain. This isn't done so much will buildings, but you can put any size gun in a fortified location in a building.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, A5.5.

JR
To me it seems as if the answer is "No". (A5.5 However, if an Infantry crew/HS is manning a Gun it is considered equal to a squad for stacking purposes.) & (B30.111 STACKING CAPACITY: This is the number of squad-equivalents (A5.5) that may occupy a pillbox.)

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Leaders can be added, at least up to a point, without consequence. I remember JR, your suggestion for it to be a perfect place for an unwanted 6+1 leader to absorb a critical hit.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This was in the consequence of using powerful AP shells to cause critical hits on pillboxes.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
To me it seems as if the answer is "No". (A5.5 However, if an Infantry crew/HS is manning a Gun it is considered equal to a squad for stacking purposes.) & (B30.111 STACKING CAPACITY: This is the number of squad-equivalents (A5.5) that may occupy a pillbox.)
Why does it seem so? The stacking cost of a squad is a squad, whether it mans a gun or not.

JR