Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I don't know if others have the same problem as me, but from yesterday the "read new posts" button does not seem to be working correctly.

When pressed it gets me to the first post in the correct page, but not the correct (new) post. EG if there were 3 pages with 20,20 and 16 posts (total 56) on the pages and a 57th was posted clicking on the new post would put me at page 3, post 41 rather than 57. It worked correctly until yesterday.

I do not know if it is relevant but yesterday I had to manually log in with username and password for the first time since the upgrade but the auto-login worked today. I use a default of 20 posts per page rather than the system default of 10. All other settings are fairly standard.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I do not know if it is relevant but yesterday I had to manually log in with username and password for the first time since the upgrade but the auto-login worked today. I use a default of 20 posts per page rather than the system default of 10. All other settings are fairly standard.
Same thing happened to me today.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I had to re-log in this AM on my work machine, but since then I have been coming back automatically logged in. Same situation on my machine at home. There was an episode last night when there was an obvious bug in the forums format immediately before I needed to re-login at home.

I'm thinkin' something went a touch squirrely last night and it took a bit of a reset to rectify.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I noted from another thread that some bug fixes were done a couple of days ago (search function?). Something might have been broken.

If others have similar problems it would be useful to note which of the 2 things that changed.

1. Position problem.
2. Auto login problem.

Also note any settings that are not the forum defaults. It might be of help to the developers / system administrators.

I do not regard (2) as a problem, since it happened once (reset). If it happens (another one-off) again due to an upgrade/fix, so be it, not a real problem.

I am finding (1) a right pain.

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'm moving this to the support forum because that's the proper place for bug reports.

Everyone, including me, had to log in again after CyberRanger installed the 4.0.1 patch. Nothing surprising about that after installing a patch which changes a lot of system files.

Exactly which button are you talking about? Just be aware the problems with some of the buttons were introduced with the 4.0.1 patch and people have already reported some of them.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The little double v (chevron) button when there are new posts, just to the left of the thread title on the main (or other) ASL forum page.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
When pressed it gets me to the first post in the correct page, but not the correct (new) post. EG if there were 3 pages with 20,20 and 16 posts (total 56) on the pages and a 57th was posted clicking on the new post would put me at page 3, post 41 rather than 57.
I think I understand what's going on here. At least I think I do. With vBulletin 3.8 that little button took you to the latest unread post in the thread and with 4.0 it takes you to the last post in the thread. I'm not 100% sure about that as I never use those buttons, but I think that's what you're seeing.

When I click on it, it is taking me to the last post in the thread. It's just not the latest unread post.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
No. Not quite right.

Until 2 days ago (minor patch) the button got me to the first unread post (not latest unread post). This was the behaviour before and after the major upgrade.

EG. One day a thread has 47 posts. I read them all (at 20 posts per display page). The last page I view is page 3 with 7 posts. The next day there are 63 posts. When I press the "new post" button it brings me to post 48 (page 3, 8th post). That was what used to happen. What happens now is that when I press the "new post" is that it brings me to post 41, IE the first post but on correct page. (The very last post of thread would have been 3rd on Page 4).

What I should have been brought to is Page 3, 8th on page instead is Page 3, 1st on page.

The code behind the button initially picks up the correct last read post number and adds one to it. It then calculates the correct page number, displays the correct page but always goes to the first post rather than the first unread post in that page.

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
This is one of those things where we're pretty much at the mercy of however Jelsoft decides to code those buttons. I'm not sure if they are planning changes for them in 4.0.2 or what.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Yup! Clicked on my first unread post half an hour ago and was pleasantly surprised to find myself not at the top of the page. It was not a serious bug, just very irritating.

Please pass on my thanks to those who forwarded the bug report and to the person who fixed it. My mouse wheel will now last a little longer. :laugh: