Portable/Transportable Bomb: size & casualty radius

Gallowglass

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Is there any guidance on how bomb size and/or explosive type relates to casualty radius?

I've dabbled with using Import Order of Battle to simulate PGM attacks but what are reasonable casualty radii for Mk 80 series bombs?

I prepared this table based on info from Wikipedia:

.......................................MK81 MK82 MK83 MK84 MK117
Nominal weight.....................250....500..1000..2000..750
Explosive Weight (lb)...............96....192...445....945...403
Lethal radius (m)............................................366

Based on the above:
Estimated lethal radius (1)........37.....74...172............156
Estimated lethal radius (2).........4......15....81..............67

Estimated lethal radius (1) assumes a linear relationship to explosive weight. Looks very high.
Estimated lethal radius (2) assumes an inverse square relationship to explosive weight.
(2) looks too small, particularly for the Mk 81 & 82.

How does the reported radius for the Mk84 relate to the casualty radius in Tacops? Use as is or should it be adjusted by a factor?

The 50m minimum radius seems high to simulate a suicide bomber, but what would be reasonable radii for car bombs with 100kg to 10o0kg of ANFO? ANFO is much less powerful than military explosives but by how much? About one-third as much?

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The attached MS Excel file is my best guess.

Unfortunately, real data for US weapons comes from a computer program now days that replaced the Joint Munitions Effects Tables which where themselves classified.

Not only is ANFO only about half as energetic as TNT, etc. It aslo has a much lower detonation rate.

Also an IED or VBIED isn't packed in a thick high-strength steel casing. That makes it less efficient in converting it's energy into high-speed fragments and a violent shockwave.

Tripler

My other car is a VBIED.
Reaction score
Howdy.

I've got the TOs to calculate all of this. Give me some time over the next few months, and I'll piece it together for ya.

Rob "Oswald" B, EOD

Tripler

My other car is a VBIED.
Reaction score
Part 1 of . . . maybe more. Attached is a blast radius paper. I can do another one on frag later, but frag can be mitigated by taking appropriate cover. If you're interested, I'll dig up the pubs again.

View attachment 32374

Rob

Tripler

My other car is a VBIED.
Reaction score
With a game so well designed with depth and yet, simplicity, one would think the flexibility of the game would generate some more discussion. Maybe it's just a matter of advertising. :)

I'm working on some things.

Rob

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's hard to live with the same codebase for so long.

And there is no autonomous AI and not even a user-programmable one. So new scenarios for single play are out.

Tripler

My other car is a VBIED.
Reaction score
It's hard to live with the same codebase for so long.

And there is no autonomous AI and not even a user-programmable one. So new scenarios for single play are out.
Yeah, I know. I'd been experimenting with different orders to units, but I found (rather quickly) that I can't set orders for anything beyond the first minute. Even if I do, I have to set twenty movement commands, which then can't be changed after the player starts the combat phase. I'm limited.

But it's a start. :D

Rob