Port en Bessin

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Getting ready to play the big Port en Bessin scenario on a three days event next weekend.
Is there someone out there that played it?
Suggestions?

fdapra

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
It was a hard fought battle with the commandos coming forward a bit too boldly and they took a lot of losses and on turn 12 the 48CVP cap was reached giving the victory to the Germans. It was fun, as the German, I was more than once keeping the front with only a few 447 and a 6+1.
The nice feeling of the game is that It is different from everything I had played before.
The commando player has to get the three WN and has plenty of time to do it, the German has the majority of the forces in the village and has to slow down the enemy and cause losses but no special place to defend (except for the WN) so the defense can give ground, decide where to put up a fight (where it can inflict losses not just DM with is pretty useless). It is a fluid situation.

The commandos are incredible, 648 with 9 broken morale with many excellent leaders(-2 to HoB which generated 6 heroes and 8 fanatics) but in the beginning, they have 25 squads plus many crews against more than 40 German squads 447 467 with very few leaders most of the crappy ones.

The Setup

After some time

My adversaries, the commandos, attacked too much, in my opinion, with the classical approach of the standard scenarios.
Took too many risks, to advance fast and encircle the German force and split up a bit too much.

Last edited:

Lorenzo26

bleu de chez bleu
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hi friends,

i received two sheets with this module, one with Vehicles/Gun and other 5/8" and one named British Commando INF/SW 2016_1. I think Germans are missing.
But it's not my quesion.

The Commando Sheet comes with many 648 counters, fine, but the broken moral is 9, what seems strange to me ; i can't find some plausible explanation. To my knowledge, SS counters are with 9 broken moral, but i can't find some rule saying Commando should have and increased broken moral.
By the way, the map is superb ; will try to solo some scenarii...

WallysWrld

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Greetings Lorenzo26;
Regarding Port en Bessin CDO broken morale "9", I offer a plausible explanation: 47 Commando (RM) was particularly primed & resilient during the June 6-8 action. Despite severe casualties/setbacks, they repeatedly bounced back, remained flexible and overcame each obstacle encountered w/o giving up, from beach landing thru to their final assault up/thru the German eastern feature defenses. In my opinion, this resiliency effect is best simulated with a higher broken morale. Normally, I think CDO units rate 8", however, for this particular HASL action, the broken "9" seems reasonable.

MG J. Thompson wrote: "In my opinion the operation by 47 RM Commando at Port-en-Bessin was one of the great feats of arms of any unit, ... of any nation in the Second World War."

Assuming the German player is moderately competent, I don't think it possible for our cardboard counters to achieve the same historical outcome on the first go thru w/o the "9". Maybe it can be done with "8s" after several practice games though. The above is just my opinion though, I don't have a rulebook answer.

Note: The current CH Nationality Set, broken morale is "8"

Lorenzo26

bleu de chez bleu
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Agree but it is needing a ssr somewhere, on scenario cards or in special rules ; as well, we have gammon bombs and not rules for them nor a pointer where to find it...
CH products are so funny !

WallysWrld

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
RE: Gammon Bomb (GB) rules

Couple sources from MMP & CH as follows:
  • ASL Rulebook Index (pg12): Gammon Bombs: SSR PB15 [ABtF: SSR6] [British Airborne SMC: SSR PB13].
  • SSR PB13/15: "Airborne British vs AFV/Vehicles Close Combat: To simulate the use of Gammon Bombs, all British Airborne Infantry units may roll for ATMM (13.7); placement of one, however, adds only a -2 DRM to CC resolution."
  • ABtF SSR6: "Gammon Bombs: All British Infantry units may roll for ATMM (C13.7) as if they were 1944 German Infantry..."

///////
CH Brave But Doomed-Battle of Arnhem:
  • Rule 4.6 Gammon Bombs (GB): All British infantry are equipped with Gammon Bombs as an Inherent SW. Use requires a GB check dr of <=4 [EXC: HS/CX/Crew has a +1 drm; SMC +2 drm] made prior to an MF expenditure needed for placement. A GB is treated as a DC (A23) [EXC: 16FP, TK#10 vs AFV, may not be used as a Set DC; 36 FP for Breaching] and must be Placed (A23.3) immediately following a successful check dr. GB DC counters are provided for use in event placement is unsuccessful. Treat a GB as a normal DC once it enters play in counter form.
  • Rule 4.61 CC vs Vehicles: A GB may also be used in CC against a vehicle and is treated as an ATMM [EXC: GB check dr apply for usage.]
  • Rule 4.61 vs User: Whether used as a DC or during CC as an ATMM the colored die is used as an attack on the '1' column of the IFT/IIFT against a unit using a GB.
  • Rule 4.63 Quantity: The British player is allowed a maximum quantity of GB equal to the number of squad-equivalents in his OB. Units are not counted toward this total until the enter play.
CH SSR: Several CH SSR have additional limits/restrictions on GBs (ex. <=1, <=2, <=3). For example, CH OP#13 indicates " The British may only use <=2 GB and apply a +1 drm to their Usage dr."

CH GB counters markings on back (worded slightly different depending on counter set):
  • Avail: <=4 (or Avail dr <=4)
  • Set NA
  • Breach FP 36 (or 36 FP Breach)
  • TK#10 vs AFV (or TK# = 10)
  • ATMM vs Veh
  • clrd 1 vs Attckr (or cdr 1 FP vs user)
Other Ideas: ATMM (& PF for that matter) counters used to exist in old school Squad Leader scenarios similar to other SW. If used in this manner old school style, the idea is the British player has no inherent GB, and instead expends the GB counter as either ATMM or DC depending on the situation ... no counter then no GB available.