Ponyri

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In response to a question from Keith Dunn - how is Ponyri coming?,
Keith,
Ponyri is coming along fine thanks. The map 100% finished, Rules about 90% done, CGI - 90%, Scenarios - still working on em. We playtested the CG at West Coast Melee - it was massive.
The CG takes the following course: German combined arms (approx 20 tanks, 3 inf coy, art, air, rockets) attack a strong Russian defense
(mines, wire, Pillboxes, dug-inT34s, 2 inf coy, air, arty, rockets). Unfortunately, at WCM the game looked like it was stuck on the Wire so to speak - the Germans (Jim Aikens forces) ploughed right into the heart of the Russian defenses - and it took 4 turns to smash through them which took up the entire time it was presented at WCM. The game would have taken wing on turn 5 for the Germans. Anyway - Huge fields of Grain surrounding built-up town. Map is 40 wide x 56 long. The game has a lot of variety - Lots of room to manuver outside the town - then it's a close in fight for a battle ravaged town. Both sides reinforcing with strong armor and infantry. Although it's basically Russian front meat-and-potatos, there's a lot of one-offs including Elephants, Nashorns, SU-152s, Rockets, Russian Cav, Armored Trains... I think we've finally found a HASL that will rival Red Barricades, and I don't say that lightly.
Don

FrankH.

Reaction score
HISTORICAL SKETCH?

Don,

Could you possibly give a brief historical sketch of the battle (date, location, background)?

Regards,

Frank

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is one description, the year was 1943

In the Ponyri area was some of the most desperate battles of the entire war and raged throughout the entire battle of Kursk. Over 1000 tanks wheeled and fought on the heights west of the village, while entire Infantry Divisions fought a hand to hand struggle for control of the village. On the 7th of July, the village changed hands no less than 5 times.

The Soviet defense of the village was primarily conducted by the 307th Infantry Division. In support, the Russians massed the largest concentration of artillery ever allocated to a single infantry division. Additionally, everything the Soviets could muster was poured into the fight. The Germans encountered multiple interconnected trench lines, entire companies of dug-in tanks, battery after battery of anti-tank guns and a constant stream of airstrikes from IL2 and Yak ground attack aircraft.

The attackers were no less determined. The primary attack on July 7th featured one Panzer and two infantry divisions, with over 200 tanks alone assaulting the village. This included an entire company of the new Ferdinand Tank Destroyers, as well as Tigers, Panzer IVG's, Assault Guns and various other armored vehicles. Heavy Stuka support and massed artillery fires preceded the attack.

The casualties were huge. Mines alone accounted for over 25 German tanks destroyed. Heavy howitzers firing in direct support added at least another 24 destroyed German tanks to the total. Over 15,000 infantry casualties mounted through the course of the day as the Germans made five successive attacks. The fighting raged into the night, but when the day was done, the Germans only controlled 1/2 of the village.

FrankH.

Reaction score
ktodd said:
Well that all certainly sounds like an interesting subject. Unlike many others I do not seem get as easily burned out on German-Russian East Front scenarios, although I would not mind a few more with Italians, Spanish, Romanians, and Hungarians as well. What about the Bulgarians and the Ukrainians/Cossacks that fought for the Germans? Presumably some of this will be in the Armies of Oblivian module.

Frank

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FrankH. said:
ktodd said:
Well that all certainly sounds like an interesting subject. Unlike many others I do not seem get as easily burned out on German-Russian East Front scenarios, although I would not mind a few more with Italians, Spanish, Romanians, and Hungarians as well. What about the Bulgarians and the Ukrainians/Cossacks that fought for the Germans? Presumably some of this will be in the Armies of Oblivian module.

Frank
The Bulgarians are you taking about ASL and WW2
I did'nt know the bulgarians fought some actions in WWII.
I tought the only war that they were really involved in was the two balakanic wars (1912-1913) and WW1.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
poniry grainfields

Petros,

how do you treat LOS with those grainfields? Using the normal rulebook in wich an Elephant SPG cannot fire at an enemy tank 6 hexes (240m)away or you treat this in a different manner.

I mean that in asl grainfields in season restrict totaly LOS at more than 6 hexes so in fact ukranian landscape is amazingly very restrictive for LOS.

Thanks

With this module you can fulfill my most obscure ASL wishes...

Eduard

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love the text ktodd - where did you find that? Seriously - we need more materials. Very discriptive - couldn't have given a better narrative.. Yes, it was incredibly intense and concentrated. The trick will be to distill it enough for ASL purposes - we can't have 200 AFVs running around on the field.. Still, the goal will be to challenge the players in their ability to handle very large combined arms forces on a highly varied battlefield - ASL on steriods, and not for the squeamish.
As for those grainfields - some of them are 'Light Grain' which means that they are just like normal Grain, except that they have a +1/2 Hindrance modifier (Round down).
Don

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
petros said:
IYes, it was incredibly intense and concentrated. The trick will be to distill it enough for ASL purposes - we can't have 200 AFVs running around on the field..
Why not? :D

Keith "Note to self - ask Brian to print a counter sheet of turret markers next print run" Dalton

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keith,
I like your style .. but seriously folks...
This is an issue, and as it turns out and interesting one, where the historical high unit density seemed to me a bit too much to display via ASL - hence, a bit of a distillation happened with the first design of the CG. When we played Turn 1 of the CG at WCM, the Germans had about 25 tanks and approximately 15 tracks running around (simulating about 100 or so tanks at this stage of the battle). The Russian had 5 tanks dug in and 7 running around. About half of these were likely to have been knocked out at the end of turn 1. Turn 2 and thereafter, the Germans and Russians would be purchasing about 6-12 tanks each per turn.
Heck, we can have more - it was historical. With multiple players, it may not be too much... 8)

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem becomes when you run out of AFV counters due to all the burning wreck counters. :twisted:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That really is not a problem with VASL and its unlimited counters and provides an excuse to have a hoarde of AFV counters --- buy Plano stock before release date!

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Randy,

Thanks for the encouragement from a guy who wooped me in Urban Guerrillas :x
It will be called 'Slaughter at Ponyri'. Hope you like the grim title :wink:

G

Don,

How many stand alone scenarios do you guys have so far?

I have not given up on the idea of sending you one. I have just been very busy with the playtesting of Schwerpunkt 10 and 11 and scenario designed for Schwerpunkt 12 and 13. If we get ahead of schedule enough, I may have more time to go in other directions with designs.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan,
in reply...'Not enough', as such we would be more than glad to work with you and the Florida guys on a scenario or two. :D There are several subjects worthy of scenario... Can you give me an idea of the action you are thinking of? The one I'd like to see is the one where the Russian cavalry, supported by tanks and infantry, attempt to recapture the RR station from the crack 10th Pz Gr. Division.. 8). Another one is where the Russian armored train moves to the middle of the town and scares away the Germans.. :p I know I'm being slutty just talking about this.. but I can't help it.. the stuff that happened at Ponyri was very unique and intense. We haven't seen the likes of it in any ASL encounter to date.

FrankH.

Reaction score
petros said:
Another one is where the Russian armored train moves to the middle of the town and scares away the Germans.
Would that result in an armored train assault task check (ATATC) for the Germans?

Sorry, could not resist. :oops:

Frank

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP, CH! or HoB

Hi-

Don; who is this module going to? Also how many more years will it be in playtesting?
Just trying to gauge if I'm gonna buy and it also depends on who you give the Ponyri module too.

Scott

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ponyri has been previously announced as a project for submission to MMP.