Poll: ROE question 1

How much can an unarmed carrier do?

• carry passengers only, & wander around when full only

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • allowed to wander around MT, and assist in assaults.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • allowed to wander around MT, but not assist ib assaults

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was wondering how everyone feels regarding Rules of Engagement in CS. I thought I would start off with the unarmed carrier rule.

Last edited:

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Strewth - this old chestnut again, this has been debated since the CS came out :nuts: . My view is, and allways has been that a unit with an assault value (i.e. Halftracks) can do whatever it wants. A transport with no assault value should transport it's cargo and once unloaded take every precaution to avoid the enemy.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For those interested, I'm adding a second set of halftracks (SPs of 2, 3, 4 and 6) for Project Blitzkrieg #2. These will be used in the scenarios I design only.

They will differ from the standard halftracks as follows:

1. Worth more Victory Points per SP. From 2 to 5.
2. The MGs have a further maximum range and higher kill power.

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

tide1

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh my god on this site to HT'S HT'S HT'S for a real laugh go over to the Blitz and post this. Some very good debates can start up over this topic. :nuts:

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wolf said:
Strewth - this old chestnut again, this has been debated since the CS came out :nuts: . My view is, and allways has been that a unit with an assault value (i.e. Halftracks) can do whatever it wants. A transport with no assault value should transport it's cargo and once unloaded take every precaution to avoid the enemy.
I feel the exact same way. I also don't have a problem with parking them far behind enemy lines in my rear areas, just in case I got outflanked. I can accept the loss of points, so then I can react.

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jason Petho said:
For those interested, I'm adding a second set of halftracks (SPs of 2, 3, 4 and 6) for Project Blitzkrieg #2. These will be used in the scenarios I design only.

They will differ from the standard halftracks as follows:

1. Worth more Victory Points per SP. From 2 to 5.
2. The MGs have a further maximum range and higher kill power.

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Awesome Jason...
Keep us updtaed please! I really like the idea of a more powerful MG. I find in CS they don't really inflict the damage they should with open shots. Did I hear right, that the new disk is for WF?

Cheers,
Ray

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Krink said:
Did I hear right, that the new disk is for WF?
Hi Krink..

This is for PB#2, which is the second East Front II expansion. PB#3 is the West Front expansion.

I've taken the liberty to add a few new units, although some will have to be used with houserules, which will be described in detail in proper usage. No arguing if it's in Black and White, I figure *smiles*

Hope you're well
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I can't believe this thread has over 100 views, but only 10 votes. How is that possible? :surprise:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've always felt that if it's in the rules then it's OK. If two opponents, however, want to adjust the rules for their particular game, then that should be OK too. I guess it's kinda like en passant in chess. A lot of people opt not to use that rule, even though it's written into the rules of the game.

I'll play either way, though I'd rather use them. More fun. Especially in surrounding units before assaulting. Also for observation and last ditch defense.

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I for one have never even thought about playing chess without the en passant rule. It is in the rules of chess, why deviate from that. I always assumes the use of non combat units in battle and close assaults was taken for granted, because it is not written that you can't in the rules. I always thought it was just an oversight by the designers. I may be wrong, because I must confess, I have probably not read the rules to CS from front to back, but is it written that you can use non combat vehicles in battle and to help in an assault?

Cheers,
Ray

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Page 107 of the EFII manual:

"... The sole function of your "soft" transport is to carry units to the front - then get them the heck back to safety, as they are easy to kill and provide quick easy VP's. Although I've seen some players use "kamakazi scout" trucks as bait, this is a desperate practice that will yield easy VP's to you. Don't use your transport for fire fodder or scouting as they really don't do either role well..."

Hope that helps
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well hold on. I wasn't referring to trucks or wagons, but to half tracks. Page 43 of my manual (it's real old) under the heading "Assault" says: "To assault, the attacker(s) must have an assault value greater than "0"... and must have enough APs to assault...". Page 44 has a bunch of info pertaining to assault values and specifically mentions armored carriers capable of assaulting.

As for trucks, wagons, motorcycles, rafts, etc. nonoccupied and fog-of-war in effect, it says of page 30:"...Note that horses, motorcycles, bicycles, boats and rafts cannot move or be used for spotting purposes... , whereas trucks, halftracks and artillery tractors (because each is considered to have an "inherent" driver) can move (or be used for spotting purposes) if not loaded. The game enforces the rule by placing a question mark over a spotted unit (pretty stupid, but that's how they designed it).

I'm not sure if I ever used a truck to help surround a unit, but must confess I probably have, not that I'd ever do it in real life, especially if I was the driver.

While we're on the subject, someone here once remarked that they didn't like playing the rule that allows you to exit units off the map to avoid point losses. This is not only allowed, the book actually suggests it as a viable strategy (page 68).

So there you have it. I can't believe I actually looked this stuff up. I better go lie down now.

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
see...I told you I have never read the rules all the way through. I'm glad someone has. I'm a little surprised that a wagon can be used in an assault according to the rules. So I guess it still comes down to agreeing on the ROE before you start a game. I really must remember to do that with my opponents.

But like Jason has said, it really is some easy points for your opponent when you leave the non-combat vehicles around to be captured. I also was not talking about halftracks, because they have the ability to fire and assault.

Thanks for clarifying that for us Mr. Confusion.

Cheers,
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.