Poll on Preference of event type

Which, among you who play SK only at this point. would prefer?

• I would rather attend open gaming style event.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • I would rather attend a tournament style event.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How many of the people on this forum, who play SK only, would be interested in attending a tournament that has an SK only component as a part of it's tournament? This has been getting asked of late on the YASL site and I was hoping to garner some feedback here. Some questions below. If you could take the time to respond to the poll below, it would be helpful.

This disregards physical ability to make it to the site. It is more a poll to gauge if the majority of SK players prefer an open gaming approach, with out a tourney, or a tourney approach, that would by it's nature, be more structured, along the lines of an ASL tourney. Format of the tourney could be, agree on the scenarios to play, with your opponent. Play off a pre-selected list. Exact format, other than tournament style vs open, is not relevant to the question at this point. That may be a question for a future poll, depending upon response.
Thanks for your help. Poll will run for two weeks. SK players only please.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I rarely play SK, so I will not vote. But one thought on a possible third option:

An event where both tournament-play and open play is possible?

There's not many different tournaments that I have attended, but at Grenadier, there have almost through all the years some players that did not partake in the tournament but did different things - playing friendly scenarios (SK and full ASL), playing monster-scenarios which are beyond the scope of a tournament but within the time-frame of an ASL weekend, playing double-blind games, playtesting stuff...

Both, the tournament participants as the others enjoy the general atmosphere and being together. Some who were first a bit fearful of tournament play and did not take part have observed that the tournament players are just as nice as the rest and took the dive next year. Some play on and off as in some years, they don't have time to prepare or can only stay for Saturday and Sunday and thus missing out the beginning of the tournament. By my experience, I found it contributing to a relaxed atmosphere which might be especially appealing to people visiting such an event for the first time.

von Marwitz

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I rarely play SK, so I will not vote. But one thought on a possible third option:

An event where both tournament-play and open play is possible?

There's not many different tournaments that I have attended, but at Grenadier, there have almost through all the years some players that did not partake in the tournament but did different things - playing friendly scenarios (SK and full ASL), playing monster-scenarios which are beyond the scope of a tournament but within the time-frame of an ASL weekend, playing double-blind games, playtesting stuff...

Both, the tournament participants as the others enjoy the general atmosphere and being together. Some who were first a bit fearful of tournament play and did not take part have observed that the tournament players are just as nice as the rest and took the dive next year. Some play on and off as in some years, they don't have time to prepare or can only stay for Saturday and Sunday and thus missing out the beginning of the tournament. By my experience, I found it contributing to a relaxed atmosphere which might be especially appealing to people visiting such an event for the first time.

von Marwitz
Actually, that is something we do at the Nor'easter tournament as well. Thursday is open gaming, with the exception of the MoFo mini, which has sceanrios so big you have to get started on Thursday. The SK though, is open through out right now, as when we tried tournament play for that, no one showed up. Hence the poll. When you have a question, go to the source.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Carl .. gut feeling is there are more SK players in the FB groups? Then again, you might already be checking there.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually, there are a fair number here too. Also, Facebook is not the ideal place for a poll, given how the feeds rotate out so quickly. Agree that there are many, and probably, more on FB. Just the venue does not lend well to polling.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you to all who participated. Given the light response, that somewhat makes a point, in and of itself.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Carl, after two attempts in two different seasons I have abandoned the idea of a VASLeague dedicated to SK players for the reasons fully explained in a post here of a few years ago. I think that the same reasons are valid, at least to a certain degree, even for a FtF tournament.