Poll: leaders on top

In ASL should leaders be typically placed on top of the stack ?

• Total voters

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
More votes for being on top? Gosh, I thought I had a "pro-level" play by putting leaders on the bottom to hide from opponents who might forget where my leaders are, especially if they gain concealment and I shuffle them around.

ASLurker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per A12.16 an opponent can inspect any stack at any time that in a LOS and that's not concealed.

To keep things from getting messy (opponent constantly looking at stacks) I just keep leaders on top. I mean, you're usually inspecting them yourself during play and your opponent can see everything anyway (again, unless concealed).

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I personally find it annoying when an opponent deliberately tries to hide leaders by not placing them on top of a stack in order to try and gain some sort of gamey advantage when all it does is slow down play and create awkward unnecessary stack inspections. I have an understanding with my regular opponents that leaders are placed on top of stacks (best leader foremost) except on initial set up prior to concealment gain and in circumstances when stacking requires different e.g. Pin.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We need a few more ‘Yes’ votes to have s super majority and force this through the ASL Senate, override MMP and make this a official rule.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We need a few more ‘Yes’ votes to have s super majority and force this through the ASL Senate, override MMP and make this a official rule.
That's a leap.

You need to start another poll that say "make this a rule" .. and an option that says "Hang on, I have a life."

cathmor01

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bryan
Country
llUnited States
I made it a habit of stacking leaders on top when I learned Squad Leader back in the 80's. When I returned to the game recently with the starter kits and hopefully eventually the full game I continued to stack the leaders on top. It never occurred to me, until the stacking discussion, that there was any other way or reason to do it.

Thankyou gents for giving me something more to think about.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per A12.16 an opponent can inspect any stack at any time that in a LOS and that's not concealed.
This is the 'American cheez' in The Big Book of ASL Fromage. IOW, there are far, far more execrable offenses to the collective delicate sensibilities of the average player.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Yes, for simplicity sake they should be on top." (emphasis added)

As written, sure, I agree with this. This isn't to say that I'm going to complain, or much care if they aren't.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe the way to play it is both ways. Keep your leaders on top 98% of the time then once in a while sneak one under just to keep your opponent on their toes.

Last edited: