Poll: how many scenarios do you play a year?

How many scenarios do you play a year?

• 1 to 26

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • 26 to 52

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • 53 to 78

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • 79 to 104

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 104 t0 150

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 151 or more

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

I began to record games in 2010 but from around 1995 until then I may only have played around 10 games per year on average. Since 2010 the average is 33.

von Marwitz

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Currently I am at about 10-15 per year. My peak was 2012, with 32 games, mostly thanks to online and live tournaments.

I wonder if the first bucket 1-26 is too wide?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Currently I am at about 10-15 per year. My peak was 2012, with 32 games, mostly thanks to online and live tournaments.

I wonder if the first bucket 1-26 is too wide?
I wonder that too. Obviously the last two brackets belong to the old days when men were manly men and ASL players had more stamina.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
due to coved 45, not alot of ASL this year, ya theres VASL, but I can only stare at a monitor for so long. Did play two scenarios thus far a few months ago FtF, A KWASL scenario and A French vs German one called Panzers Forward. I do plan to play another scenario hopefully saturday called Mailed Fist.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
due to coved 45, not alot of ASL this year, ya theres VASL, but I can only stare at a monitor for so long. Did play two scenarios thus far a few months ago FtF, A KWASL scenario and A French vs German one called Panzers Forward. I do plan to play another scenario hopefully saturday called Mailed Fist.
Good time to do a re-read of the rules.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
With @ 75% of respondents playing one scenario or less per week it seems as if even the goal of just playing all of the published scenarios is out of reach for the average player.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Just keeping up with playing every new one as they come out would be a Herculean task.

I'd be happy just to play all the ones I look at and think 'cool, wanna play this one sometime', which is a list forever growing. Too, I like replaying a scenario multiple times to really learn it and experiment with it. Not all scenarios, but some. I never bought into the idea of 'there are too many scenarios to ever replay one unless I have to'. But it was never my goal to play them all. Even decades ago, I realized that way lies madness.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
With @ 75% of respondents playing one scenario or less per week it seems as if even the goal of just playing all of the published scenarios is out of reach for the average player.

With 6000 or more scenarios the goal of playing all of them is out of reach to most if not all players. I mean it would take 16 years playing one scenario a day.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Just keeping up with playing every new one as they come out would be a Herculean task.

I'd be happy just to play all the ones I look at and think 'cool, wanna play this one sometime', which is a list forever growing. Too, I like replaying a scenario multiple times to really learn it and experiment with it. Not all scenarios, but some. I never bought into the idea of 'there are too many scenarios to ever replay one unless I have to'. But it was never my goal to play them all. Even decades ago, I realized that way lies madness.
We were big fans of playing a scenario multiple times. I always thought that trying different approaches to the same situation was a great way to learn and improve your overall game.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
We were big fans of playing a scenario multiple times. I always thought that trying different approaches to the same situation was a great way to learn and improve your overall game.
Interesting! I have a totally different approach. Given limited time to play say a dozen or two scenarios a year I try to pick unusual circumstances and also never repeat one.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Interesting! I have a totally different approach. Given limited time to play say a dozen or two scenarios a year I try to pick unusual circumstances and also never repeat one.
Quite understandable. Since we devoted an unhealthy amount of time to ASL the opportunity was there to indulge in repeated playings. Not uncommon for us to play same scenario three to four times in a row.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, I suppose back in the days if you were a prolific player - and Fish & Actionjick were - you did not have much choice but to play a scenario multiple times if you did not want to run out.

So I guess if they had had a choice as we have today, they had played more different scenarios rather than the same ones more than once.

That said, playing a scenario more than once does have its benefits. First of all, there are some scenarios that are so much fun to play that they warrant multiple playings - many of the classics fall into this category. Then, in my own experience, playing a scenario more than once allows you to learn more general things - for example about timing: When you need to be where to archieve the VC. The unwashed masses such as most of us do not always grokk every scenario during the first playing. So playing it again brings you closer to how it "really works".

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well, I suppose back in the days if you were a prolific player - and Fish & Actionjick were - you did not have much choice but to play a scenario multiple times if you did not want to run out.

So I guess if they had had a choice as we have today, they had played more different scenarios rather than the same ones more than once.

That said, playing a scenario more than once does have its benefits. First of all, there are some scenarios that are so much fun to play that they warrant multiple playings - many of the classics fall into this category. Then, in my own experience, playing a scenario more than once allows you to learn more general things - for example about timing: When you need to be where to archieve the VC. The unwashed masses such as most of us do not always grokk every scenario during the first playing. So playing it again brings you closer to how it "really works".

von Marwitz
Additionally if you replay the same scenario you aren't wasting valuable gaming time deciding what to play and pulling pieces. Also revenge was a factor to be considered when you felt you should have won but were jicked. Another consideration was we playtested scenarios and they needed to be played several times to give the designer an accurate assessment of the scenario.