Poll: how many scenarios do you play a year?

How many scenarios do you play a year?

• 1 to 26

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • 26 to 52

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • 53 to 78

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • 79 to 104

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 104 t0 150

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 151 or more

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I agree .. over the years .. playing against Burnie Fox .. I'm 0-6!!
Lost my first fourteen scenarios against Fish. Nuff said? Lol. Learning can be a real reality check when you think you are a badass.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well, I suppose back in the days if you were a prolific player - and Fish & Actionjick were - you did not have much choice but to play a scenario multiple times if you did not want to run out.

So I guess if they had had a choice as we have today, they had played more different scenarios rather than the same ones more than once.

That said, playing a scenario more than once does have its benefits. First of all, there are some scenarios that are so much fun to play that they warrant multiple playings - many of the classics fall into this category. Then, in my own experience, playing a scenario more than once allows you to learn more general things - for example about timing: When you need to be where to archieve the VC. The unwashed masses such as most of us do not always grokk every scenario during the first playing. So playing it again brings you closer to how it "really works".

von Marwitz
Even when there were lots of scenarios to choose from we still liked multiple playings.

March 13th, 1992
To the Rescue
Ger. = Darryl
Russian = Fish
7A Darryl wins

March 14th, 1992
To the Rescue
Ger.= Darryl
Russian = Fish
5B Fish wins

March 18th, 1992
To the Rescue
Ger. = Fish
Russian ( balance ) = Darryl
6B Fish
Followed with notes by me that if repeated would justifiably get me kicked off the forum.
Four playings of Beserk on 28/29 March of 1992.
Then went on to six playings of Rachi Ridge between April 11/12th of 1992.
Then started playtesting the French. We really did play too much. No wonder we burnt out. Captain Bacchus says to quit whining and just reminisce.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
We really did play too much. No wonder we burnt out. Captain Bacchus says to quit whining and just reminisce.
Who knows. You may feel burnt out, especially after Fish passed away to whom you were very close. But if there weren't a spark still glowing, you would not hang out here. Nobody knows what time might bring.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Who knows. You may feel burnt out, especially after Fish passed away to whom you were very close. But if there weren't a spark still glowing, you would not hang out here. Nobody knows what time might bring.

von Marwitz
Very true. I think it also speaks to the power and attraction of ASL that the spark is still there so long after the fire subsided. I've been into other games but none sticks with me like ASL has.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Very true. I think it also speaks to the power and attraction of ASL that the spark is still there so long after the fire subsided. I've been into other games but none sticks with me like ASL has.
Just met today an old opponent who used to play quite a bit up until about ten years ago. He said he'd kept all the kit and said if he was to get back to gaming ASL would be the choice.

You can check out anytime but you can never leave...

asloser

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I started keeping track at the last weeks of 1998. Before that I had played about 150 scenarios.

Here is the record so far:

1999 64
2000 46
2001 45
2002 32
2003 38
2004 55
2005 51
2006 28
2007 35
2008 36
2009 33
2010 24
2011 24
2012 22
2013 18
2014 16
2015 21
2016 16
2017 14
2018 46
2019 44
2020 35 up to end of July.

total is 743 published scenarios.

Few comments- this figure is missing about 10-15 published scenarions I have not record of, mainly played in tournaments outside of Finland.

i played about 70-80 Hakkaa Päälle! playtest games in 2001-2008. The playtes was very active in 2006-2008 and that shows in the figures.

In 2009 I was at my best as an ASL player after 10 years of intensive play, I won the Finnish tournament.

2010-2017 I had a lot of other activities within my kids hobbies and got in some games only during summer months.

In early 2018 I became frustrated with my game - decided to play more and booked flights to my first ASLOK 2018, and had the time of my life. Other option would heve been to quit with ASL alltogether.

Since I played the first comeback game in mid May 2018 I have completed 125 published scenarios and I am starting to feel can play decent game again. I know I will never be a GROFAZ, but I can play with anyone and make a good game of it.

In 2019 I learned to play in VASL and that was a godsend when the lockdowns started. Most of my games in 2020 are either VASL PBEM or live VASL.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In early 2018 I became frustrated with my game - decided to play more and booked flights to my first ASLOK 2018, and had the time of my life. Other option would heve been to quit with ASL alltogether.
Seriously?

Maybe I misinterpreted you, but quitting the hobby because you feel that you ain't playing well enough? After having won a tournament in your home country?
If that's the case, my advice would be to dump the ambition instead of the hobby.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Seriously?

Maybe is misinterpreted you, but quitting the hobby because you feel that you ain't playing well enough? After having won a tournament in your home country?
If that's the case, my advice would be to dump the ambition instead of the hobby.

von Marwitz
Sound advice. Relax and enjoy the game, don't worry about how well you are playing as long as you give your opponent a good game.

asloser

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Seriously?

Maybe is misinterpreted you, but quitting the hobby because you feel that you ain't playing well enough? After having won a tournament in your home country?

von Marwitz
Well, if everytime you play the first feeling is the frustration about the way you play it felt at the time it was not worth it. It is difficult to explain, it is not about winning as such. It is the way you feel about yourself after the game

Honestly I am my own worst enemy in this regard.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well, if everytime you play the first feeling is the frustration about the way you play it felt at the time it was not worth it. It is difficult to explain, it is not about winning as such. It is the way you feel about yourself after the game

Honestly I am my own worst enemy in this regard.
I decided to discuss your situation with Captain Bacchus and that discussion is ongoing.
If you think you are your own worst enemy regarding ASL there are two courses of action the Captain and I see available in you.

First is to negotiate a peace treaty with your enemy. Remember this will involve compromise, don't go for unconditional surrender.

Second is to analyze your enemie's strengths and weaknesses and figure the best way to exploit them to achieve your goal.

That brings us to the most important part of this intervention.

What is your goal? Determine this and you are well on your way to ASL contentment.

I don't know you but obviously you like ASL. You've played 743 published scenarios and playtested so you must have a good grasp of the system and as a playtester your opinion is valued. You went to ASLOk and were revitalized. What was It about that experience that negated the feeling of frustration you feel after finishing a scenario?

We'll offer our opinions and hopefully you are not offended as we mean well.

You seem to be an ASL perfectionist and sorry to say this is a goal that is unattainable. The game is too complex. 1985 was a long time ago and people who have played ASL that entire time still have not completely mastered or understand the system. Why should you think that you can master what they haven't?

I thought I was pretty hot stuff in the SL days until I met Fish. Fourteen straight ( well maybe not so straight ? ) losses later I realized I had a lot to learn. Then again so did Fish.

Don't expect perfection in your ASL playing. It seems as if the comraderie of ASLOk may be the key to solving your dilemma. Another piece of advice is just to relax and find happiness in the playing.

Really glad you enjoyed ASLOk and it kept you in the game.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It is the feeling of letting down the global Tuomo-geist. I totally understand. I'm glad you took some time off til you could keep up your end of The Collective.
Perhaps a pertinent point when he loses but why that feeling when he wins?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
As I once explained to my wife - I win fewer than 50% of my games, but that's not a measure of how often I have a good time.
In Germany, there is a saying:

"Pech im Spiel, Glück in der Liebe."

This translates "Bad luck in games, good luck in love."

If you now want to tell me, that you lose not because of bad luck but because of bad play, hear this:
The old Norsemen believed, that luck was indeed a skill. So there you go.

Your wife will like that.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
As I once explained to my wife - I win fewer than 50% of my games, but that's not a measure of how often I have a good time.
An excellent attitude, one that I share. A generous guess would be I won 25% to 30% of the time. Didn't matter to me, the companionship was what was important.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps a pertinent point when he loses but why that feeling when he wins?
It may have nothing to do with ASL but another factor. Win or lose upon completing a scenario he may feel that he wasted time playing a game when that time could have been used doing something more important. I've felt that way upon occasion.

Civilization 3 kept statistics about the game one of which was hours spent playing. Fish and I both had totals well over 150 hours. Surely that time could have been used more profitably.

Asloser may be experiencing this. A sense of guilt that he was neglecting life matters while indulging himself with entertainment.

asloser

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
It may have nothing to do with ASL but another factor. Win or lose upon completing a scenario he may feel that he wasted time playing a game when that time could have been used doing something more important. I've felt that way upon occasion.

Civilization 3 kept statistics about the game one of which was hours spent playing. Fish and I both had totals well over 150 hours. Surely that time could have been used more profitably.

Asloser may be experiencing this. A sense of guilt that he was neglecting life matters while indulging himself with entertainment.
No, it is not this. in 2018 I made the deliberate decision to give ASL more time, cutting out other things I did back then. Just felt that ASL deserved more time so I could play the game at the level I wanted to play. it had lost priority to other things during the 7-8 years between 2010-2017- not a deliberate decision to play less ASL it just happened. But, I am happier playing more ASL today. That is the bottom line here.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
With less than 4% of respondents playing 2 or more scenarios a week I can understand why players don't indulge in repeated playings of a scenario.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thought I would boot this back up after a pleasant exchange with von Marwitz.